What's with the deckplans

• Thread starter Stefan Christiansson
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stefan Christiansson

Hi,

I was just wondering why deckplans of Boatdeck thru D-deck are done in one style and the lower decks in a different style?
Are the deckplans undergoing an update?

The layout of the lower decks are really hard to comprehend. I can't seem to figure out how to get to the turkish bath and swimming bath from the first class staircase.

Maybe I'm just stupid
happy.gif

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Hi Stefan,

Theoretically everything is always being updated all the time. But in practice...

The lower decks were done long before the upper ones and aren't quite as good. I somehow doubt that they will be further updated for a long time.

Having said that there are very much better deckplans available and others on the board who can advise you on navigating from one place to another.

R

Raymond John Mulhall

Could you send me some properplans of the titanic please?

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Raymond Mulhall. I suggest you learn a few manners before asking any more questions. Another member has gone to the trouble of providing you with suggestions for how to get what you are asking for and even a website address but he does not even get your thanks!

R

Raymond John Mulhall

I am very sorry.I will try to be more polite in future.

Thank you for your help but could you send me the website again please my E-mail deletes the, after 20 minutes i I don't flag them.

T

Tom Pappas

Also at the THS site, you will find that
quote:

A critical design flawher [sic] watertight compartments which did not reach high enough, allowed water to flow from one compartment into another like liquid flowing in an ice cube tray.
That's funny, I thought that even if the bulkheads had extended up to C deck, she would have sunk in pretty much the same way. That's the conclusion of the RINA report, §5.3:
quote:

...the top of the bulkhead between Nos. 4 and 5 Boiler Rms. is now below the waterline and therefore water will be able to spread along "C" Deck and into the unflooded spaces below with consequential eventual loss.
Is THS privy to some information unavailable to the RINA engineers?​

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
In my personal opinion don't rely on anything intelligent from THS regarding the technical aspects of the sinking, ship building or ship driving. But boy do they know there passenger history.

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
www.titanicology.com
I have a print, about 40 in by 30 in, entitled: "White Star Line, Tripple Screw RMS 'Titanic', 45,000 Tons, "Plan of First Class Accommodation," that I've had for many, many years. It shows deck by deck accommodations for 1st class passengers in detail, including selected suite photos, berth numbers, and detailed descriptions. The date is December, 1911. Does anyone have any information as to where this may have come from? I do not remember how I came to get my hands on this. Also an interesting statement on the bottom of the print that says: "The portholes on Deck E are 20 feet above the Water Line."

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Samuel!

If the deck plan is in b/w, I suspect it's the plan that accompanied the hardback edition of Geoffrey Marcus's "The Maiden Voyage."

All my best,

George

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Samuel, that plan is also available as part of the boxed 'Titanic Collection' of facsimile documents published by the THS. Their version is somewhat smaller but presumably the same size as the original, which was provided to First Class passengers as a guide to selecting cabin bookings and to find their way around on board.

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Bob!

I believe the Marcus deck plan is a full-size reproduction of the original Dec. 1911 plan (since it's the same size as my own March 1912 plan.)

Any chance you'll be coming to the Texas gathering, Bob? I hope you'll think about it, because I'd enjoy meeting you in person.

All my best,

George

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
'Fraid I'd need a win on the lottery to get me as far as Texas, George, but thanks for the encouragement and I hope we will get to meet sometime, somewhere. In the meantime you might be interested in my 'new plans for old' scheme, by which you get a freshly minted copy in exchange for a grubby old original like your 1912 deck plan. I also operate a similar scheme for menus, boarding passes and any other mouldering documents that you might have lying about the house. How about it? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.