What's Your Favorite Room on the Titanic?

Smith Mize

Dec 20, 2002
Without a doubt, my favorite room of the Titanic is the Grand Staircase. I'm very fond of the Angel greeting people as they begin to walk up the stairs, the terrific natural lighting of the ceiling window and of course the clock. But I would love to know the opinion of others.

- Smith

John Hemmert

Oct 16, 2002
Hi Smith!

I have to agree. Though with me, it's kind of a toss-up between that and the bridge.
I'm also quite fond of the 1st Class Lounge.
John.

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
The first class Smoke Room for this old country boy. Good comfort, good companionship, good smokes.

Best regards,
Cook

Jul 10, 2009
My favorite would have to be the Cafe Parisien. I like it because it is the only room on board with the exception of the Palm Courts on A-Deck that don't look like they are aboard ship. Everything else seems to have that stuffy shipboard look to it.

Nov 9, 2002
Hey,
Isnt this in the wrong category? O well, its a very good thread. I dont know which room is my favorite because I love them all!Theres just some rooms I feel a connection with. Kind of freaky.

Sahand

B

Brian Hawley

I have always been partial to the a la carte restaurant. This could be due to the THS article in 1990 that showed plenty of color photos of the woodwork in the Nortons home. That issue is my all time favorite from the Springfield group of Titanic people.

Brian

Mar 3, 1998
This is an interesting discussion. It appears (to an engineer's eye) that the rooms/features most favoured by the respondents also constituted the weaknesses in the ship's internal watertight subdivision. To me, it highlights the dilemma faced by designers of passenger ships.

Parks

May 12, 2005
Hi Parks,

Though you're an engineer, I'm sure you have aesthetic sensibilities. What's your favorite Titanic room?

Mine is the a la carte restaurant as well because of the Louis style, so typical of Edwardian taste. The THS issue Brian mentions (Titanic Commutator, Vol. 14, No. 4, Winter 1990) is also my favorite because of Eric's lead article on the Olympic interiors - a very fine piece indeed and one I wish could be reprinted. The photos are a marvel, too! The cover is beautiful with a paneling detail and period illustration, giving the effect an enchanted little peek into that luxurious room.

In the same edition is Don's loving tribute to Ruth Becker Blanchard. The moving picture of the two of them on the back cover is in itself worth a membership to THS just to get a back issue!

And Parks, I'm curious to know how the restaurant was a weakness in Titanic's safety design. Could you explain that?

Randy

Mar 3, 1998
Randy,

I wasn't singling out the restaurant, just making a general comment about public and/or common rooms aboard a ship. I'm not being critical in the least of anyone's choices here because no passenger ship would be the least bit memorable if it didn't impress the paying public. Like I said, I do not envy the task of a passenger ship designer, who is caught between two requirements: 1) the need for large open spaces and wide stairwells to attract the public, and 2) the need for a durable and flexible hull structure with a minimum of discontinuities. The a la carte Restaurant, in and of itself, was not a major discontinuity in the structure as was either the First Class Dining Saloon or the GSC.

Again, I'm not being critical of anyone's choices, unlike certain pundits in the immediate post-disaster period who were highly critical of Titanic's passenger amenities. What they overlooked, and I completely understand, is that passenger amenities play a crucial role in a ship's popularity and profitability.

What is my favourite room? I've spent the last two years meticulously recreating the Marconi and Silent Rooms...you'll see the result of my efforts in the GotA companion book. I would have to say that in this case, familiarity breeds affection. The Marconi and Silent Rooms have replaced the Bridge area as my favourite place aboard the ship. What else would you expect from a guy who's had the callsign, now the nickname, "Sparks"?

Parks

May 12, 2005
"Sparks,"

I didn't think you were being critical at all. I just honestly wondered what your fave Titanic room might be. You're right, though, I should have guessed it would be the radio room
happy.gif

Thanks for all the info and I much look forward to seeing your work in Ghosts of the Abyss!

My best,

Randy

D

Daniel Ehlers

My personal favorite, but not by far, would have to be the Verandah Cafe... I don't exactly know why; maybe because it's so different from every other room... Anyway, I went down to Fox Studios Baja today, and it was amazing seeing the cafe in person.

Tied with the cafe would be the grand staircase... It was DEFINITELY the grandest part of the ship. I like how it was big, but it was all bright and flowing, thanks to the glass dome...

A runner up would be the smoking room... I like the mother-of-pearl and guilded paneling... The room was just so grand...

T

Trent Pheifer

My favorite room would have to be the Grand Staircase, I love the grandeur of it. I also like the a la carte restaurant, the issue that Randy mentioned is a must have!! It is my absolute favorite, I may be impartial b/c of the Ruth info in the issue, but the pictures of the a la carte restaurant are awesome. There are so many rooms to choose from its hard, I also like the parlor suites.

-Trent