What's Your Favorite Room on the Titanic?

N

Natalie Gleason

I adore the Grand Staircase myself. I think it is stunningly beautiful. Out of all the places on the ship, it seems so peaceful and serene.

Mar 23, 2003
Natalie, I fully agree with you. When Bob Ballard's crew found the Titanic the first thing he wanted to view was the remains of the grand staircase.

A few years ago I went on a New England/Canada cruise and the evening they left Halifax the ship's photographers were taking pictures with a full backdrop canvas of the grand staircase. Of course I had my picture taken in front of it and the picture is framed and hanging in my travel room.

C

Chris Nicholson

Hi smith I hate to burst your bubble about the grand staircase clock, but it might not have even been in the ship. There is a strong argument which states that the clock wasn't installed yet but there was only a mirror in its place. Unfortunatly there is no proof of either argument bacause thare were no pictures taken of titanic's staircase.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Chris,

There are some sources which point to the mirror only being a temporary substitute -- that is, the clock was installed at Soton.

Best,

Mark.

Mar 23, 2003
That information about the mirror replacement (if it is so)is very interesting to find out.

I am fairly new to this message board and I thought I knew a lot of information about the Titanic. By reading all of the messages I have a lot of catching up to do.

One thing I plan to do is to look into purchasing the "Titanic and her sister ships Olympic and Britannic" book. I have written the number down and will go to the local bookstore. One thing I do know that several of the pictures that are shown in Bob Ballard's book came from the Olympic. The Olympic also was the one out of the three sister ships that did not have a "serious" tragedy.

Barbara

M

meagan mcrill garrett

i absoulutly LOVED the room with the grand staircase, that was the most beutiful staircase every made, i myself have seen the real gold statue when i went to the titanic exhibit in houston,tx it was amazing

C

Chris Nicholson

Yes Barbara is is so unfortunate that there were almost no pictures taken of her before she went to the bottom. However even though there is evidence that the mirror was there, I belive that the clock was there because..
1.Survivors speak about the clock being there
2.There would be ramnants of a mirror at the wreck since glass isn't one of the items on the menu for the Titanic buffet for bacteria
3.That is one of the biggest items in Titanic ledgend and I think that everyone would have known if the clock wasn't there.
One last thing. Meagan the statue that they found was from the aft grand staircase and not the famous grand staircase.

D

Davina Ann Hanning

my favourite room would have to be the grand staircase and of course the clock. I once had the pleasure of seeing the clock that was on the Olympic at the southampton maritime museum. A true pleasure but unfortunately no photos were allowed although i was tempted to try and take a sneeky one!!

James Metzger

Dec 13, 2002
I've always thought the first-class lounge was really spectacular with all the richly carved panelling and the huge chandelier in the middle of the ceiling. It must have been really beautiful at night when it was fully lit, bathing the whole room in a soft glow.

L

Lawrence P. Cappe

I`d prefer the Captain`s tub, his spacious bedroom, sitting room and his walkouts to the wings.

P

Philip Martinez

For me it would be the boiler rooms. :)
Since I work in a steam engineroom.

L

Lawrence P. Cappe

Have you listened to Steve McQueen recite the eloquent soliloquy on the role of man to the steam engine in 'The Sand Pebbles'?

It`s a US film from `70`s from the novel by......I`m sorry, I don`t know the author`s name.

Rent the video if you can. It`s loosely based on the Panay incident in the China of the 1920`s. McQueen was marvelous and his recitation alongside Peter Finch`s 1st soliloquy in Network (1975)goes a long way toward explaining why American film still carries such a powerful punch!

Great sea story too.

Its rapturous.

L

Lawrence P. Cappe

Tom, I agree with you wholeheartedly.. It is the most beautiful room on the
ship.
The Classical pillars, alcove, sunlight streaming in through the bay
windows, potted and standing plants, its thick carpets and fireplace,
mirrored mantle and white octagon window make it Andrew`s jewel.

He couldn`t understand why more women weren`t using it. I suppose with
marconigrams available on C-Deck, lst class ladies were maintaining fewer
correspondents by post and the verandah cafes and palm courts served cafe
while you read those favoured books you brought along just for the
voyage.Thanks.

JediMedic

May 10, 2003
I would have to choose the gym, I being somewhat of a fitness fanatic, would have spent most of my time in the gym, although quite antiquated for my taste, and the rest at the bar, after all I'm on a sinking ship and if I'm going down so is the bottle of brandy. Cigar anyone?

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Can't make my mind up on the rooms, but one location I'd like to try is the fourth (dummy) smokestack. Great view from the top! Very appropriate for a crafty smoke, too.

Matt Simons

Mar 12, 2005
For me It would be the Reception Room, as I like its design. I do also like the Reading and Writing Room along with the Lounge.