What's your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 3, 2000
Hello, :)

IF a TITANIC II(Hey, a Queen Elizabeth II IS being built so a Titanic II is NOT intirely impossible) was built would you go in her maiden voyage?
Would you even, if ever, go on her?
IF YES, which class would you be in?

For those you care: I WOULD LOVE TO SAIL ON TITANIC II, MOST ESPICALLY, HER MAIDEN VOYAGE!
AND I'D LOVE TO BE IN FIRST-CLASS TOO!
IF IT'S EVER BUILT I WILL SAIL ON HER, AT LEAST, ONCE! :) :)

I can't wait for your opinions on this matter! :) :)
THANKS ahead of time for your replies to me! :) :)

Gotta go!
Bye!

Sincerely Kristy!
L.O.L.(Laugh Out Loud)! I LOVE my PokéBuddies!

Jen

Jan 15, 1998
Kristy, they are also building a new Queen Mary, It will be ready to sail in 2003. I do plan to be on the Queen for her maiden voyage. I have visited the original Queen Mary twice and had a wonderful time ,i just love ships . And yes i plan on being on the Titanic -if they do rebuild one.I think it would be the voyage of a lifetime simply unforgettable.Jen

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
My question is whether or not a replica of the RMS Titanic is actually under construction right now, if so by who. I saw a lot of proposals and advertising on the web, but nothing current. Personally, I think the idea died a quick death once all the hoopla from the movie died down...fads are funny that way...but I could be wrong.

Would I sail on her? Well...yes...if I had the time and could afford the ticket.

V

vicky jester

I love to think that someday Titantic II will be built. I don't see how the builders could get around many of the safety codes that now exist. Although, the decorating and layout could be similar (except, let's increase the number of lifeboats this time!) If there is ever another built like it, I will be there!! VLJ

J

James Armpitstinks

Hello Kristy,

I doubt a replica of the Titanic will ever be made because of the enormous cost. These ocean liners cost a bomb, you know. They're a BIG investment!

Anyway, what about authenticity? Wouldn't it almost certainly be a modern ocean liner, dressed up to look like the Titanic. Rather than an absolute carbon copy of the original, coal powered, steam driven vessel?

Not only that, people's standards have increased since 1912! Would passengers pay a fortune for a small cabin that would've been considered a luxury by their 1912 counterparts? Not only that, If it was really authentic, there'd be NO television, NO computer games, NO dancing in an onboard nightclub... I believe that people's expectations have simply increased too much in our entertainment driven culture to make the Titanic an economic possibility.

It's a bummer, I know. But I expect the only Titanic will remain the one on the bottom of the Atlantic...

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Vicky, any replica built if at all would not be a carbon copy as you have correctly surmised. The proposal I saw was in Popular Mechanics two years ago. The changes would have been twin screws, diesel engines, upgraded hotel services like air conditioning, enough lifeboats(Of course!) and a larger rudder instead of the one which proved tragically too small(The Olympic class liners had a notoriously poor turning radius and slow response time) to do the job on the real McCoy. Better watertight compartmenting too. Though in fairness to the Olympic class, their watertight compartmenting was actually very good. Far better then what you see even today. Better even then that of some warships of the time. What the designers didn't bank on was somebody sideswiping an iceberg and opening six compartments to the sea. Even though the area open was reletively small(About twelve square feet) it was deep enough and spread out enough to let water in at a rate of seven tons a second.

Harland and Wolf was named as a possible builder along with another concern on the European mainland. Also, A South African firm showed some interest in building a replica. My sense is that the whole thing died after the hoopla generated by the movie went away. There were some websites up, but they haven't been updated in quite some time. Of course, If somebody is actually going through with it, I'd love to see who it is and what they've done so far. Has steel been cut? Is a hull actually on a slipway somewhere?
Cordially,
Mike

Paul Rogers

Jun 1, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Mike,

Hi. You may like to refer to quite an old thread entitled "Replica Titanic Being Built?" It may answer some of your questions.

Also, try a visit to the website: http://main.put.com/gigantic This has lots of details regarding all the "plans" that have been zooming around regarding a replica for a while.

Basically though, it's not gonna happen! You'll see why after looking at the above sources.

Hope this helps.

Paul.

K

Kristy

Hello everyone,

Vicky: Get your head on straight. Geez!
IF there ever was a TITANIC II built it wouldn't be an EXACT REPLICA of the Original TITANIC. Duh.
It wouldn't work at all, it would be an ILLEGAL "Floating Palace", if it was. Anyways, just because a TITANIC II MAY be being built that doesn't neccarily mean it's gonna be built EXACTLY alike. Duh.
This SILLY reply reminds me of a saying: "Learn from the pasted.". Duh.

James: In her (TITANIC. Duh.) day, because TITANIC was a STATE-OF-THE-ART Ship with her steel and her luxuries.
Don't you think that a TITANIC II would be built with modern day luxuries?
Duh.
With STATE-OF-THE-ART metals?
Duh.
This, STUPID reply reminds me of a saying: "Don't let history repeat itself." Duh.

Michael: You're almost as smart as me.
Meaning, I'm SMARTER 'cause I'm MORE open-minded than you, so saying 'cause of your second reply. A TITANIC II isn't IMPOSSIBLE to be built, James.
Duh.

Geez, guys! Like I said before: "IF there ever was a TITANIC II built it wouldn't be an EXACT REPLICA of the Original TITANIC. Duh.
It wouldn't work at all, it would be an ILLEGAL "Floating Palace", if it was. Anyways, just because a TITANIC II MAY be being built that doesn't neccarily mean it's gonna be built EXACTLY alike. Duh!"

You guys just don't get it with replies like: "*Sarcasitally speaking*: That's not possible with today's laws. It can never be done with today's laws. She'd (TITANIC II. Duh.) never be built because today's laws wouldn't allow
it. (Yada, yada!)." Hello?!
SHE WOULDN'T BE BUILT THE EXACT SAME WAY AS BEFORE BECAUSE OF TODAY'S LAWS AND WE KNOW WHAT HAPPENED IF THE SAME THINGS WOULD BE PUT INTO PLACE(meaning the pasted.)!
Duh!

Bye!

Sincerely Kristy!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Yo Kristy, chill out...take a deep breath, count to ten, and relax. Otherwise your going to give yourself a stroke.

Besides, what makes you think I'm closed minded? Or anyone else for that matter? The problems discussed are real and some are a matter of law.
Cordially,
Mike

K

KristyIt's me

Hey Michael,

I'm not saying your close-minded, Michael, so don't put words in my mouth. I really don't like that. I said, repeating myself, "-- I'm MORE open-minded than you. --". Duh!

And probably over others as well because they just can't accept a POSSIBLE TITANIC II like you, Michael. Duh!

I know the problems and discussions ect. are real on this Message Board here. Duh!
*I* am NOT stupid here! Duh, Michael!
*Scoffs* "A matter of law."??
What the HECK are you talking about??

Sincerely Kristy.

J

jean leysman

I definitely would sail on Titanic II, But only if she was a EXACT replica of the original. Ofcourse this also means: no television, no cellular phones, no disco, no TV. And ofcourse this ship must have... steam-engines!
About the small cabins in first class (as mentioned by James Armpitstinks): I'm sure any Titanic-fan wouldn't have a problem with them. You don't sail on Titanic II to enjoy modern amenities and luxury. If you do book passage on a modern ship.

The only change I could live with is: more lifeboats, bulkheads up to C-deck and modern radio communication for the officers, but that's it!

Can anyone relate to this?

R

Rolf Vonk

Hey Jean (fellow Dutchman!),

Yes, I fully agree with you. The only point is that the people have to dress themselves like the people back in 1912. Modern clothes wouldn't fit with the "classic" interiors of Titanic.

However I doubt if the material used for the interiors of the real Titanic can be used again. I remember reading somewhere that it is strickly forbidden to use wood on ships. I think real Titanic was extremely inflammable...

Regards,
Rolf

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Fire regulations are pretty strict so if anyone were to try and use wood panaling, it couldn't be any of the deeply varnished material used back in 1912.(Don't want any repeats of the Morro Castle disaster) More like synthetics would have to be used.

If somebody could muster up the cash to make this happen, they would have enormous problems to face, like getting around environmental laws for one. Coal fired plants are rather dirty. Also, wastewater. Collection and holding tanks for sewage would not be optional, they would be required.

The ship would also have to be fitted with the latest communications equipment (Morse code is pretty much a dead duck in a day and age of satillite communications), navigation equipment, radar, adaquate lifeboats for all, air conditioning...

All this just scratches the surface. An exact replica is a charming idea...which just isn't going to happen.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

J

jean leysman

Hi Rolf and Michael,

Thanks for your reply.
I know, the facts are against us. But then again... I'm sure an exeption could be made for Titanic II. I just don't believe that in our days and age it's impossible to have an original Titanic with concealed safety to meet the requirements of modern shiptravel. By the way, in Holland, and I believe England as well, ships from the 17th century have been reconstructed strictly according to the original plans. This means completely wooden ships! And they have sailed the seas!

Please stay in touch guys, I will check for your answers soon!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Jean, and not so strictly as you might think. I've seen some of these replicas (The Golden Hind and the Endevour) and while they bear an external resemblance to the real thing, they include modern equipment such as auxilary engines, navigation equipment, radios and modern firefighting equipment.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

R

Rolf Vonk

Hi Jean and Michael,

It's true that there are many 17th century replica's built. I know in the Netherlands we've rebuild 'Batavia', 'Amsterdam' and 'De halve maen'. When I'm serving my memory I believe they are going to rebuild the most famous warship of admiral De Ruyter, the 'De zeven provinciën'.

I'm not sure about all the modern age equipments used on these ships. I thought they really stayed afloat according to the old sea-rules. I don't think they are all able to make seavoyages. For example the famous 'Batavia'. It was brought to Sydney, Australia last year for the Olympics. I believe as a remembrance to the "discovery" of Australia by the Dutch. I said brought, cause 'Batavia' didn't sail to Sydney by herself. She was carried by a large seavessel. The voyage for 'Batavia' by herself would have been far too dangerous. However it looks important to put modern firefighting equipment on those wooden ships with tar between the chinks.

Regards,
Rolf

J

jean leysman

OK guys, you win. I give up. I won't live to see Titanic II. Maybe I'm just too enthousiastic about it. Thanks for bringing me back to real life!
Would like to hear more about it though!

Jean

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Uh old sea rules? Problem is that the laws which exist aren't all that flexible, and for good reason. The majority of them were written in blood.

Jean; nobody is trying to rain on your parade, but this Titanic II thing has been knocking about for going on four years now. Status so far; money being sought (supposedly), proposals abound (Absolutely), all of which have produced not even so much as a hull section being erected in the building dock.

The problem is that a ship, especially a passanger ship, is one hell of an expensive investment. One could conceivably build a replica which would faithfully re-create the public spaces, but what happens once the novelty wears off? Fashions are notoriously fickle in this regard, and the Titanic II, in my opinion, would end her days as an expensive and not especially successful white elephant. With the world economy showing signs of going into a deep recession, serious investors with the quid to get things going have got to be mindful of this.

If somebody actually manages to pull it off, I'll be the first to wish the enterprise all the best. I'm just not going to hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Status
Not open for further replies.