When did the Gilded Age start and end?

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
I think it started a couple decades after the American Civil War, and it lasted until World War I, but it could be extended so that the ending could either be in 1929 when the stock market crashed or when World War II began. The 1950s and 60s were somewhat glamorous as well, but once jet airplanes came in service, the golden age of the luxurious ocean liners came to an end.

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
I actually wrote a thesis on this subject not too long ago but I will give a refresher. The Gilded Age started during the Reconstruction period as the Robber Barrons and their fortunes came to fruition after the Civil War.By the 1890s the period was full swing.However the Gilded Age was more than a time period, it was a lifestyle. Lavish , decadent and corrupt at the same time. It was all about yachts, millionares outspending each other and showing off, being at certain places during the year, winters in Europe, summers in Newport etc. It was about lavish parties costing hundreds of thousands(BACK THEN), and going on till daybreak. One party giver even had nightengales singing in transplanted rose trees at his soiree. Women changing clothes 7-8 times a day as well as living by a massive set of social rules and etiquettes that dominated every aspect of life. You have to read some books on this to see how these people lived, very fascinating and more detailed than what I mentioned. Of course the Income Tax of 1913 put a damper on this lifestyle, and the War pretty much finished it. Even though some people in the new post war era tried to live like everything was the same, by the 20s this world was a memory.

Last edited:

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
Prior to the income tax, the millionare's way of life was tax free. It put a cap(and damper)on this lavish over the top lifestyle. World War 1 was a bloodbath that leveled most of Europe, killed millions, introduced the horrors of mechanized, chemical and air warfare,and sent several empires and dynasties down the toilet.Things changed because having experienced such horror, people were not as inclined to place such importance on the things I mentioned above. Also it was a new era. You cant go back to the past after having something like that tear apart the world.

Reactions: Dan Kappes