When did Titanic news hit Britain?

Sep 23, 2018
Derby, UK
I am fascinated to know on what timescale and route the news came to mainland UK. I understand that the first European newspaper to give a categorical report of the sinking was the Belfast Telegraph on the Monday afternoon. The London Times of Tuesday morning was sketchy. By the afternoon, the Liverpool Echo had a detailed and largely accurate overview. We know that White Star in New York knew fairly early on the Monday and they would surely have telegraphed Liverpool and Southampton White Star offices before long, in terms of great embargo. Liverpool White Star telegraphed Royal Mail London on the Monday suggesting the mails, and ship, were safe. Cunard NY probably told Cunard Liverpool, also in strict confidence and in code, what they knew from Captain Rostron. So I am wondering when the rumour mill started in Liverpool, when relatives started to gather outside the company offices. Surely, with the news in a Belfast paper, someone in the maritime world or beyond would have phoned or telegraphed Liverpool. Once the news was out, perhaps before the Tuesday papers, it would travel through Liverpool at the speed of a tramcar (or phones for the rich who had them). So I am wondering if it was out in Liverpool, London and Southampton by the Monday evening.

Reactions: 1 user

Julian Atkins

Sep 23, 2017
South Wales UK
Hello Tony,

I haven't found the link I wanted, but hope the following link works as it includes a pic of Artie Moore's wireless equipment inside Gelligroes Mill from 1911

I live quite close to Gelligroes Mill; in fact I walked to it 2 Sunday's ago. There is a plaque on the side of the old mill recording the details of the link with Titanic.

There is a book on it all by Leighton Smart which I have never yet read.

Given that it is not something I have researched, there is something odd about the story. Gelligroes Mill is at the bottom of the Sirhowy Valley adjacent to the Sirhowy River. I get bad radio reception, and when I drive my car close to the old mill the radio reception in the car (FM and LW) becomes very poor.

Moore must have required a VERY tall aerial, or an aerial on the top of one of the surrounding hills with a very long lead down to the old mill?

I did find a reference to Artie Moore having his (or another) wireless station nearby on a farm (the farms all being on top of the valley hills) but I cannot find this link this evening.

Cheers,

Julian

Nov 14, 2005
I am fascinated to know on what timescale and route the news came to mainland UK. I understand that the first European newspaper to give a categorical report of the sinking was the Belfast Telegraph on the Monday afternoon. The London Times of Tuesday morning was sketchy. By the afternoon, the Liverpool Echo had a detailed and largely accurate overview. We know that White Star in New York knew fairly early on the Monday and they would surely have telegraphed Liverpool and Southampton White Star offices before long, in terms of great embargo. Liverpool White Star telegraphed Royal Mail London on the Monday suggesting the mails, and ship, were safe. Cunard NY probably told Cunard Liverpool, also in strict confidence and in code, what they knew from Captain Rostron. So I am wondering when the rumour mill started in Liverpool, when relatives started to gather outside the company offices. Surely, with the news in a Belfast paper, someone in the maritime world or beyond would have phoned or telegraphed Liverpool. Once the news was out, perhaps before the Tuesday papers, it would travel through Liverpool at the speed of a tramcar (or phones for the rich who had them). So I am wondering if it was out in Liverpool, London and Southampton by the Monday evening.
I've read a lot of the discussions on ship time vrs various local times but what has never been clear to me was what the local time in London when Titanic sank. That would seem to me to effect the time when the sinking was first reported in Britain. Was it early or late morning in London when she went under?

Julian Atkins

Sep 23, 2017
South Wales UK
Hi Steven,

It was part way through the night, when Artie Moore would have heard his first message from Titanic, which means he must have basically been up all night till he got the final message he recorded with his wooden leg, then 'raced' to the closest Police Station with his wooden leg along the old road from Gelligroes Mill to Ynysddu a couple of miles to where I live to the then recently constructed Police Station, as the South Wales mining areas were regarded as a hot bed of discontent and rebellion, and there had been major strikes in 1911, and earlier.

The substantial Police Station building in Ynysddu is now a nursing home.

When this corona virus thingy is hopefully over, and our local libraries and county public record office is open again, I could probably add a lot more to all this.

But I would like to know about the aerial queries I posed from the experts!

Cheers,

Julian

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 14, 2005
Hi Steven,

It was part way through the night, when Artie Moore would have heard his first message from Titanic, which means he must have basically been up all night till he got the final message he recorded with his wooden leg, then 'raced' to the closest Police Station with his wooden leg along the old road from Gelligroes Mill to Ynysddu a couple of miles to where I live to the then recently constructed Police Station, as the South Wales mining areas were regarded as a hot bed of discontent and rebellion, and there had been major strikes in 1911, and earlier.

The substantial Police Station building in Ynysddu is now a nursing home.

When this corona virus thingy is hopefully over, and our local libraries and county public record office is open again, I could probably add a lot more to all this.

But I would like to know about the aerial queries I posed from the experts!

Cheers,

Julian
Ok thanks for the reply and the links to the article. According to the time charts as of today...0:20 am NY time would be 05:20 London time. So given that time +/- an hour or 2 theres no way it would could have made the morning editions in England. Lucky at best to even make the evening editions. As for the aerial question I couldn't help you there as its not my field and I don't know all the factors that come into play with 1912 radio's...shooting skip and all.

Julian Atkins

Sep 23, 2017
South Wales UK
Artie Moore got the Titanic messages as they were transmitted.

When those messages finished, if the story is correct, he then encountered a Police Constable on his way to, or got to my village Police Station, as was, but they did not believe him.

So, his story did not get reported till a few days later when it became known Titanic had sunk for sure.

That is my memory of what I found out a few years ago. (This was before my considerable interest in matters Titanic and The Californian, and my first post on ET on 23rd September 2017). I never attached much importance to it myself despite the strong local connection as to where I live, because of the aerial problems I mentioned, that are so obvious to me living locally, but always seem to have been glossed over!

And in any event Gelligroes Mill is such a beautiful old building in a most beautiful location that it is so lovely in itself, without the Titanic story attached.

Cheers,

Julian

Last edited: