When did you find out about Titanic and take interest?

May 28, 2020
I watched Titanic when I was in grade 2, so like 7 years ago(I'm not sure about it though). My parents showed me the 1997 movie and I fell in love with it. It has been my all time fav since and made me love the Titanic. Since then I have been interested in it and sparked me to love history from the 1840s-1920s.

Reactions: 1 user

William Oakes

Mar 6, 2020
My father and I watched "A Night To Remember" when it came on television.
I was 6 years old.
I instantly became fascinated with Titanic.
My father began taking me to the library with him and I began reading everything that I could get my hands on, regarding the great ship.
54 years later I am every bit as fascinated and captivated by the RMS Titanic, her crew, her passengers and the men who built her.
The story never grows old; just deeper and more captivating.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 14, 2005
My father and I watched "A Night To Remember" when it came on television.
I was 6 years old.
I instantly became fascinated with Titanic.
My father began taking me to the library with him and I began reading everything that I could get my hands on, regarding the great ship.
54 years later I am every bit as fascinated and captivated by the RMS Titanic, her crew, her passengers and the men who built her.
The story never grows old; just deeper and more captivating.
Same for me and probably a lot of others too. Some time in the 60's also. But my interest in the story of Titanic has waxed and wained over the years. Became re- interested in it when Ballard found the wreck. And then I really started reading more in depth after the A&E docu came out. That resparked my interest alot. Then when Cameron made his movie and started the craze it was good in the sense with the internet that so much info became available with the click of a mouse. After the 2012 anniversary I said ok thats it. Spending too much time on this subject..time to move on. But then I would read article and get sucked back in again. But that's not a bad thing.

Nov 14, 2005
I watched Titanic when I was in grade 2, so like 7 years ago(I'm not sure about it though). My parents showed me the 1997 movie and I fell in love with it. It has been my all time fav since and made me love the Titanic. Since then I have been interested in it and sparked me to love history from the 1840s-1920s.
Good for you Alexander. That's an interesting time of history. I often read about that period myself. It's pretty much when the world changed. From an agrarian to the industrialized one. Well at least for half the world.

Keith H

Oct 13, 2017
I remember the film "night to remember " in 1967 and this sparked off my obsession with the Titanic , over the years reading a lot of books on it , I also visited the artefacts exhibition at Greenwich Maritime museum in the 1980's and have recently been to Belfast to visit the Titanic centre ,slipways and dry ,and also to C Cobh ( (Queens town ) to visit the White star office museum and jetty.

Charlene

May 5, 2001
I saw James Cameron's movie when I was 11 and I loved It! At first, I thought Titanic was a fictitious ship and all the characters were fictitious as well. When I discovered the story of the ship and some stories about the passengers, I thought the real story is much better than any movie or novel.

William Oakes

Mar 6, 2020
The moment from a Nignt To Remember that is etched in my memory and haunts me to this day, is the scene just moments before the ship goes under.
An elderly steward is hurring aft and looks to his left and sees a small child hiding in a stairwell crying, 'I want my Mommy."
The kind hearted steward picks up the child and says, "Don't you worry; we'll find her."
moments later the ship is gone.
That scene is etched in my soul from 1967 when I was just 6 years old watching the movie with Dad.
Whenever I think about the sinking, I think of that steward and the child.
Although it is fiction, you know that it most likely happened.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
The moment from a Nignt To Remember that is etched in my memory and haunts me to this day, is the scene just moments before the ship goes under.
An elderly steward is hurring aft and looks to his left and sees a small child hiding in a stairwell crying, 'I want my Mommy."
The kind hearted steward picks up the child and says, "Don't you worry; we'll find her."
moments later the ship is gone.
That scene is etched in my soul from 1967 when I was just 6 years old watching the movie with Dad.
Whenever I think about the sinking, I think of that steward and the child.
Although it is fiction, you know that it most likely happened.
I was 7 years old, and I saw the centennial documentaries being shown. I was interested, yeah. Then when I saw the movie, I was hooked.

Nov 28, 2020
i was 5 years old ( im 11 ) and i looked up ships and i saw this huge shipwreck and it had the word titanic on it so thats how i got hoocked

J Sheehan

Aug 23, 2019
Cork, Ireland
For me, it was 20 years ago this March when I was eight years old, going on nine (I'm gonna be 29 this May)

I first read a DK (Dorling Kindersley) book (rented from my local library) about Titanic in early 2001 (it was part of DK books Eyewitness series, which I'm sure many of us read when we were young), and not long after I first saw the 1997 film by James Cameron. I was very impressed with it, particularly the scenes where we see the ship alive and sailing again.

After that, sometime later that year, I saw 1958's A Night to Remember and some of the famous 1994 documentary series The Complete Story, and I became even more entranced with the story of Titanic.
And since then, my interest in the subject is still as strong as it ever was, with me constantly learning new things about the ship. So much so that I'm writing a novel set on Titanic's sister Britannic, and I've been working on that since November 2008.

Dan Coghlan

Titanic Historian - 9 Years
Feb 21, 2020
Australia
April 2012.

I was running around the house with my brother, messing around, and as we ran through the living room, my mother stopped us and said "Today is an extremely sad day" and then she went on about Titanic.

A couple hours later, our whole family sat down to watch the Final Word, and later that night we read through the National Geographic magazine which featured the triple page sinking analysis.

From then on Titanic became my thing, I even did it as a "Show and tell' at school during our unit on "Old and New" in which I described the formation of the International Ice Patrol due to the Titanic disaster.

I then proceeded to read through the whole sinking analyses using a photocopied cutout of the Nat Geo one, however my teacher stopped me after 10 minutes due to the fact that some my classmates didn't understand what I was saying. Quite a memorable incident, I still have the poster I used above my dresser!

So that's how nearly 9 years of research, analysis and a lifelong fascination with ships began... what a ride!

Last edited:

VanessaMcHugh

Oct 29, 2015
When the news broke that the wreck had been discovered, and my mum told me that her grandfather was a survivor. I was 5 years old. As soon as I could, I borrowed books on the subject from the local library, and watched whatever appeared on TV. My interest waned slightly in my late teens/early twenties, but the advancement of the Internet and this forum has helped bring it back.

Keith H

Oct 13, 2017
When the news broke that the wreck had been discovered, and my mum told me that her grandfather was a survivor. I was 5 years old. As soon as I could, I borrowed books on the subject from the local library, and watched whatever appeared on TV. My interest waned slightly in my late teens/early twenties, but the advancement of the Internet and this forum has helped bring it back.
Did you find out your grandfathers story ?

Donna59

Jan 18, 2018
I’ve been interested in the Titanic for as long as I can remember, my great grandfather was a chief fireman on it. His name was Thomas Threlfall, he was in boat 14 and was the only boat that went back and picked up more survivors.

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
Ripleys Believe It Or Not hosted by Jack Palance ( anyone remember him?)did a segment on it. I recall them using scenes from ANTR is this piece. Sometime before , SOS Titanic aired but I couldn't see all of it since my parents took us to see a movie. The rest is history.

Last edited:

Bo Bowman

Dec 23, 2019
Worland, Wyoming
Growing up on the West Coast (of the US), I was always fascinated by ships and the sea. I don't know when I first heard of RMS Titanic, but I read a paperback version of ANTR as a teen sometime in the 60s and was hooked by the immense drama and humanity of this event. Regardless of how and when, that is what captured each of us. That interest may wax and wane as we pursue our own lives, but it is easily reignited. As an aside, may I say finding this site was a treat?

VanessaMcHugh

Oct 29, 2015
Did you find out your grandfathers story ?
Sort of.
Family version of events didn't 100% tie in with the official one, and he was reputed to never have spoken about it.

Reinforced my belief that we will never know the absolute truth about the events of that night, be that due to trauma, embarrassment, survivor's guilt or pressure from superiors.