When & Where did _____ die

M

Mark Bray

Jennie Whit Congleton?
The second wife of Albert Caldwell.
Raymond Caldwell?
The second son of Albert Caldwell.
Olive Leona Uren?
The wife of (maybe ex-wife of...) John Morgan Davies.
Francis Morgan Davis?
The son of John M.Davies. (Where did he die?)
Thanks. Also what passeners' children have died in the past 20 years and where? This will help me with my genealogy project that I am starting, I really would appreciate anyones help. Thanks guys.

Mark
happy.gif
happy.gif

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Jeanne Blanchard Lehman died July 19, 1993
Jennie Congleton Caldwell died November 22, 1980
Raymond Caldwell died April 28, 1990
John Morgan Davis's son died in suburban Detroit.
John Morgan Davis was estranged from Olive Leona Uren when he committed suicide during the Christmas holidays of 1950. Olive remarried and is still living at the age of 91.

Many, many of the passenger's children have died in the last 20 years--that question is a little too broad to answer on this forum.

Phillip

M

Mark Bray

Thank you very much, Phillip. You seem to hold a wealth of info. on the families of Titanic Passegers. When did you start doing this?

Mark
happy.gif

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Hi Mark,
I bought my first Titanic passenger related document during the Easter holidays of 1973--and the rest is history.

Phil

J

Jonathon Jedd

Phil Gowan: Hope you're still watching this thread, as I had a related question for you and/or Michael Lima.

I just put together a timeline for the "final days" of Jack Thayer, based primarily (but not exclusively) on the information presented here on ET, and I must say there's a bewildering degree of confusion on when the man actually died. The "official" date of death, according to his Death Certificate and the Philadelphia Inquirer's (23Sep45) Death Notice, is September 21, 1945. Yet the same Coroner who signed the Death Certificate was quoted in Jack's obituary (same newspaper and date) as giving a probable time of death that figures to 4:50 PM the PREVIOUS day, September 20th!

Of course, the REAL "kicker" is that the photo of Jack's grave marker (displayed at the bottom of his ET biography) indicates his demise as having occured on September 18!! Not only was he assuredly not dead then, according to his obituary he wasn't even missing yet, having been "last seen" the morning of the following day, September 19!

Can you shed any light here? I could understand if perhaps the police had altered or withheld certain bits of information during an ongoing investigation, but it doesn't appear that any real investigation was ever pursued -- it was simply ruled a suicide outright. As for the Coroner's statement, naturally the Press might have mis-quoted him. But the stone?? That part, above all else, seems bizarre and particulary inexplicable. After all, the monument in the photo was presumeably new when Jack's erroneous date was inscribed -- his name is the first on it -- yet that date remained unaltered through 1987, when the last entry was added. Would the family have simply left such an error uncorrected?

Any clues on this? I'm completely perplexed.

"Curiouser and curiouser",
JJ

J

Jonathon Jedd

Hi, Phil (Gowan): Just as an afterthought, I wanted to assure you that my remarks above are not intended in any way as a criticism of your work here. (You have my utmost respect.) Rather, it's the discrepancies in the original information that I question.

Thanks for any clarification you may be able to provide on this.
JJ

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
JJ,
No offense taken, I assure you. In fact, I'm grateful that you pointed out the discrepancy as I had never really noticed it. These types of discrepancies come in a number of ways and for a number of reasons and I don't know how to answer the specific dilemma that you've posed. It does seem that there may be an error on his tombstone--maybe it wasn't erected for some time after Thayer's death and family members weren't clear on the exact date. While that seems odd, Karl Behr's daughter (for instance) claimed at times not to remember any dates on her Titanic family members, even asserting that she didn't know where her mother was buried!

For some reason relating to my own father's service in World War II, he had claimed to be born in 1910 when his actual year of birth was 1909. Because of that, he then always gave 1910 as his date of birth on legal documents and my mother even had 1910 put on his gravestone. When my mother died (at 11:55 P.M. on August 22nd, 1997)--it took over two hours for the proper authority to declare her dead and he put August 23rd on her death certificate.

Dickinson Bishop's birth certificate lists him as being born 9 days before the date he used throughout his life and which is found in the family Bible. Maybe an old doctor just didn't file the certificate until several weeks later and got his dates mixed up.

For years, every reference you could find claimed that Dorothy Gibson died February 20, 1946. Her obituary had appeard on that date in the New York Times and stated that "she died today." Actually the obituary had been copied from a French newspaper which appeared on February 17th--Dorothy's actual date of death.

So who knows--but it is worth looking into. I'll ask Jack's great-grandson if he can share any insight. He's very interested in his ancestor's Titanic experience and can check with some of the older members of the family.

I'll let you know if I find anything.

My best,
Phil

J

Jonathon Jedd

Thanks, Phil. It's greatly appreciated. :)

As a side note, I ran across this post from Edward De Groot (co-author of "The Ship that Stood Still") while attempting to pursue my inquiry:
http://genforum.genealogy.com/thayer/messages/907.html

Though it's from October, it appears at least that he never got a reply. If indeed that's the case, do you think you could relay the information to the family? They may not have seen it, and DeGroot says he has documents pertaining to the Thayers, but was unaware of whom to contact as current head of the family.

Again, many thanks for your help!
JJ

M

Mark Bray

I was looking through my files and ET Biographies today, and I came across some people, whom I want to know about. So...WHAT DATE and WHERE did ____ die? Thanks to anyone who responds.
*Ernest Pearson's sons?
*Bertha Mulvihill Noon's 4 children?
*Jennie Dorpkins Matlin's 4 sons?
*Margaret Hays
Daughter: Mrs. John Starbuck?
Daughter: Mrs. Francis Alburger?
*Richard Norris Williams II?
Wife: Frances Sue Williams?
Son: Richard N. Williams III?
Son: Quincy Williams?
Son: Duane Williams?
Daughter: Frances Sue Ganoe?
*Nelle Snyder (How many children did she have? When and Where did they die?
Her Son: John P. Snyder?
*Marjorie Newell
Daughter: Madeleine Crowley?
Daughter: Marjorie Snow?
*Madeleine Astor
Son: John H. Dick? (**Esp. Him, b/c he lived in SC, like me!)
Grandaughter: Jacueline Drexel?
Great-Grandson: Astor M. Drexel?
*Dickinson Bishop
Daughter: Ann Parr?
*Marion Wright Woolcott
3 sons:
John Woolcott?
Russ Woolcott?
Robert Woolcott?
*Anna Turja Lundi
Son: Marvin Lundi?
Daughter: Ruth Eckhardt?
*Meier Moore
Sons:
Ralph Moore?
Carl Moore?
Daughter: Ira Moore?
*Laura Mae Cribb Buzzell
Daughters:
Virginia Williams?
Elizabeth Kendall?
Shirley Carroll?
I have a few more, but I do not want to make any mad because of my many questions. I just never really knew what happened to these people, that were related to Titanic Survivrs. I am so interested in the Survivors, as well their families. Thanks to all, and Happy Holidays.
PS: Does anyone have a copy of a NY Times Articles titled "Eight Who Remember?" It is about eight survivors, so I heard. I am extremely interested in it, and would love a copy. Thanks again!

Regards,

Mark Bray
happy.gif

M

Mark Bray

While researching Laura Mae Cribb Buzzell, I found out that her sons: Howard and Ernest are both deceased. I have no scanner so I cannot send the obits, but Ernest Buzzell died Sunday, November 12, 2000. His brother, Howard died April 6, 2000. Laura's three daughters are still living. might anyone know about the people above? Thanks.

Regards,

Mark Bray
happy.gif

M

Mary S. Payne

Mark, my grandmother, Marjorie Newell Robb, died in 1992. She has two surviving daughters, my aunt, Madeleine Robb Crowley, who lives in California, and my mother, Marjorie Robb Snow, who lives in Rhode Island. Son Arthur Newell Robb (my Uncle Newell) died in Westport, Massachusetts about five years ago; and daughter Rosalind Robb Livermore (my Aunt Rosalind) died in Arizona not too long after my grandmother's 100th birthday in 1989. I would have to research the exact dates. If you are interested in more you can e-mail me at [email protected].

M

Martin Hall

Mark, I am a second cousin of Ernest Buzzell's wife Mary Stone, her mother was a Hall. In my family genealogy, I have his obit from Watertown NY paper published Nov. 7,2000. He died Nov. 5, 2000. His brother Howard did die Apr 6,2000. Howard's widow Doris just died 3/6/2002, age 85. Ernest's wife Mary is still living. I never knew until I read Doris's obit that the Buzzell's boys mother was a survivor of the Titanic. After reading her obit I did a search and found this site, very interesting.