Where can I find pictures of these ships

J

Jeremy Watson

Please, if someone could tell me where I could find pictures of these ships: (La glorie), and (L'Atlantique). I heard how ugly they were and just have to see for myself!

-Titanic1912

M

Mikael Jonsson

Greg. Can't you draw the ship Estonia? It would be interesting to see a drawing of that ship.

Best Regards, Mikael

M

Mikael Jonsson

that's great
happy.gif

thanks.

/mike

Aug 29, 2000
Hope someone out there has a postcard of the old Scythia-this was the ship Lizzie Borden went to Europe aboard in 1890. Also- how many Republics were there? The Irish maid, Bridget Sullivan came over from Ireland on Republic in 1885. I hope Lizzie went First Class!

John Hemmert

Oct 16, 2002
Hi Shelley,

White Star had two "Republic's". The first was from 1871-1902. The second was from 1903-1909.
Amusingly, USLines also later had a "Republic"... The amusing part being that she was originally laid down at Harland & Wolff in 1903, as The "Scotian", right next to the Dominion Lines vessel "Columbus". "Columbus was transferred within IMM to White Star and renamed "Republic". The "Scotian" was sold on the slips to Norddeutscher Lloyd,renamed "General Grant", confiscated by the Americans in WW-1, and was transferred to USLines where she was renamed "Republic"... Both of these last 2 "Republic's" were about the same size, and looked an awful lot alike. Confusing? yes! Weird? VERY!....

LOL! There ya go!
John.

Aug 29, 2000
Thanks John- the first one is the one I'm looking for- now to find a postcard. Juicy story above-who knew? Anything on the Scythia?

John Hemmert

Oct 16, 2002
Hi Shelley,
There's a shot of the "Scythia" from "Ships of Our Ancestors" (Michael J. Anuta, Genealogical Pub. Co., 1983, 1996 reprint.) The book also has a shot of the first (1871) "Republic". If you'd like, I can scan both and email them to you. (I just tried reducing the "Scythia" pic to a size small enough to post, and it looked awful.)
Best regards!
John.

B Portwig

Mar 25, 2019
south africa
hope they are what you are looking for

Attachments

• L ATLANTIQUE  (1).jpg
    L ATLANTIQUE (1).jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 89
  • L ATLANTIQUE  (2).jpg
    L ATLANTIQUE (2).jpg