Where did the First Class Bedroom Stewards Sleep?

Jan 12, 2020
youtube.com
I've been reading "Guide to the Crew of the Titanic" by Guntar Babler, and it doesn't explain where they would sleep while off duty. Scotland Road doesn't make sense for their quarters as they would need to be relatively close to 1st Class. Did they have their own cabins in 1st Class?

Thomas Krom

Nov 22, 2017
Of the first class victualling crew most of the stewards had their berth on E-deck. This includes:

1 Dormitory for 10 plate washers and 10 scullions

1 dormitory for 38 first class saloon stewards

1 dormitory for 40 first class saloon stewards

1 dormitory for 28 first class saloon stewards

1 dormitory for 5 first class bath stewards, 6 first class pantry stewards, 1 gymnasium attendant, 6 boots/cleaning stewards, 1 burglar and 1 spare bed just in case.

1 dormitory for 26 first class bedroom stewards

1 dormitory for 12 first class cooks

1 dormitory for 12 superior first class stewards

1 dormitory for 1 barkeeper, 6 class storekeepers and 1 spare bed.

These are the most notable dormitories. Higher ranked crewmembers from the fist class victualling crew (such as the purser, chief steward, second steward, the assistant second stewards, the baggage steward and squash court professional, the male Turkish bath attendants) and female crewmembers (The stewardesses, female Turkish bath attendants) had small cabins which were either for one person or 2 to 3 crewmembers at most.

I hope this may helps you. Recently I had to put every crewmember in each different dormitory for Titanic Honor and Glory.

Reactions: 5 users
Jan 12, 2020
youtube.com
Of the first class victualling crew most of the stewards had their berth on E-deck. This includes:

1 dormitory for 5 first class bath stewards, 6 first class pantry stewards, 1 gymnasium attendant, 6 boots/cleaning stewards, 1 burglar and 1 spare bed just in case.

These are the most notable dormitories. Higher ranked crewmembers from the fist class victualling crew (such as the purser, chief steward, second steward, the assistant second stewards, the baggage steward and squash court professional, the male Turkish bath attendants) and female crewmembers (The stewardesses, female Turkish bath attendants) had small cabins which were either for one person or 2 to 3 crewmembers at most.

I hope this may helps you. Recently I had to put every crewmember in each different dormitory for Titanic Honor and Glory.
Thank you so much! This really helped!

JervisCrane

Aug 3, 2015
I feel your pain. Although I'm just building this in minecraft. This is helpful and concise thanks! I do have a question of my own however. What kind of steward falls the label under superior steward?

Last edited:

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
I feel your pain. Although I'm just building this in minecraft. This is helpful and concise thanks! I do have a question of my own however. What kind of steward falls the label under superior steward?
A lot of regular stewards were berthed on the portside of E-Deck. It seems no matter which class you served, slept together! (they were sorted by class and type but still in adjacent rooms)

1623717311163.png

Reactions: 1 users
Jan 12, 2020
youtube.com
A lot of regular stewards were berthed on the portside of E-Deck. It seems no matter which class you served, slept together! (they were sorted by class and type but still in adjacent rooms)

View attachment 77003
It's confusing as heck! How do the historians keep track of it all? I spent about an hour staring at that side of the ship on the plans trying to find the 1st Class Stewardesses cabins/bunks, going with the same logic as they must be on Scotland Road, only to find they have to bunk cabins on the starboard side with the passengers. 1st Class Stewardesses(I assume) Forward of the E Deck Elevators behind that door that leads to the squash court, and then the other(I assume 2nd Class by it's location.) by the 2nd Class Entrance on the aft Starboard side. Like wth?

Reactions: 1 user

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
It's confusing as heck! How do the historians keep track of it all? I spent about an hour staring at that side of the ship on the plans trying to find the 1st Class Stewardesses cabins/bunks, going with the same logic as they must be on Scotland Road, only to find they have to bunk cabins on the starboard side. 1st Class Stewardesses(I assume) Forward of the E Deck Elevators behind that door that leads to the squash court, and then the other(I assume 2nd Class by it's location.) by the 2nd Class Entrance on the aft Starboard side. Like wth?
deckplans! A couple Harland and Wolff original General Arrangement plans survive of Titanic (although the one with furniture has been lost, and seen only once, since 1987) so they used those. And, they use the wreck for references on how some things were
(although there are a few mistakes)

Stephen Carey

Apr 25, 2016
Philippines

View attachment 77003
Yes, it was the people they served who were 1st, 2nd Class etc., not the stewards themselves! They could be in a different service on their next voyage or swapped about on the same voyage. I would expect them all to be of the same rank other than the "Superior" stewards and those with a particular function. Salaries not sure, but if they were company men, they would have a seniority status and increment on their pay.

Stephen Carey

Apr 25, 2016
Philippines

I guess the "Burglar" was actually a "Bugler"? Mentioned in the Cameron film by Ms Brown as sounding like a cavalry charge...

Thomas Krom

Nov 22, 2017
I guess the "Burglar" was actually a "Bugler"? Mentioned in the Cameron film by Ms Brown as sounding like a cavalry charge...
Indeed, it was a spelling mistake on my part. The bugler steward was Percy William Fletcher (1887-1912).
Yes, it was the people they served who were 1st, 2nd Class etc., not the stewards themselves! They could be in a different service on their next voyage or swapped about on the same voyage. I would expect them all to be of the same rank other than the "Superior" stewards and those with a particular function. Salaries not sure, but if they were company men, they would have a seniority status and increment on their pay.
The superior stewards which occupied that dormitory were the first class stewards who looked after the open spaces along with the first class deck stewards.

Reactions: 2 users
Jan 12, 2020
youtube.com
For salaries I recommend, Gunter Babler's book, Guide to the Crew of Titanic. Breaks down almost every job based on survivor testimony. It lists the survived crew from those departments, breaks down uniforms, and how much they were paid.

Great book. It almost rivals On a Sea of Glass, and ten times less thick!