Where is Robert Ballard at these days

N

Nathan Lee Casteel

Hello I was wandering, does anyone know where Robert Ballard is these days? I have always wanted to meet the man in person.

Apr 14, 2001
nathan dr robert ballard is an explorer in residence at the national geographic society in washington,dc he is the founder of the institute for exploration in mystic,ct and i dont know exactly where he is at this moment but over the weekend he was at the national geographic society to be part of the unveling of a new titanic model now on display at the explorers hall as part of a new exhibit at the society i hope this helps jennifer mueller

Apr 11, 2001
Ballard is now appearing in the December issue of Vanity Fair- in between a nude photo of Ozzy Osbourne on the ..er... potty- and the Tour de France champ. He has the signature pose, baseball cap, arms folded, gazing into a Stonington CT sunset- the caption reads "Hall of Fame 2002, Because he is the underwater bloodhound who having already located the final resting place of the Titanic, Bismarck, Lusitania and Yorktown, added to his legend with the discovery of the PT109- ...Because he is a curator , not a treasure hunter, because he always finds the money somewhere. " In his spare time he teaches at University of Rhode Island, makes cameo appearances at the Institute in Mystic (which is actually a display exhibit)and plans the next expedition. Actually I think the Lusitania wasn't actually lost.

Feb 14, 2011
Dr Ballard will be teaching at his alumini University Of Rhode Island. URI will delvelop a department in deep sea exploration, which Ballard will head- i think the department and the courses to be taught are currently in the planning phase..\Check the URI website...there should be a mention..

tarn Stephanos

Feb 14, 2011
Has the wreck of the Indianapolis been located? IOf not, that should be Ballard's next expedition....

Tarn Stephanos

Feb 14, 2011
Could any group make the attempt to find the Indannapolis wreck and explore the contents, or are sunken US military ships still concidered Us property? If so,the the US Navy must still own the Monitor....

tarn Stephanos

May 12, 2005
I have heard that the Vanity Fair cutline for Ballard's entry was originally to have included the passage:

"...because he is just the sort of money-grubbing, ruthless, egocentric arse, whom we at Vanity Fair, the ultimate Mecca for money-grubbing, ruthless, egocentric arses, love to glorify to the very lengths of absurdity."

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
According to his recent interview on NPR, it sounds like Ballard's done with searching for modern wrecks. He's making plans for another expedition to the Black Sea, and wants to focus on more ancient shipwrecks.

I guess it'll be up to someone else to locate the Indianapolis.

-Adam

Eric Sauder

Nov 12, 2000
Hi, Michael:

"If anyone can do it, Ballard's the guy."

Please remember, though, that the ones who really do the work to make these expeditions happen are the historians who help Ballard, usually without pay. These expeditions could not be what they are without them, but could still take place with any expedition leader, no matter who it is.

Thank you, Randy. That was hilarious!

Eric