Where is the Olympic now has she been found

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
You go First? I had to give up rail travel when they stopped offering steerage. If you don't know the area, bear in mind that Alnwick is 35 miles beyond Newcastle. You can cover most of that by rail, and finish the journey by bus. But before leaving Newcastle you will want of course to visit the Hancock Museum and check out the mummy of Irt-Irw - unless you fear the curse...

M

Mike Lynch

didnt they realize that the Olympic and Mauretania were both sister ships of 2 of the famous liners in history and that they should have been saved as a full size model of the ships

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Actually, no they didn't. Sentimentality was not one of the strong points of the age...at least not to the point of attempting to turn ocean liners into museums. While the idea may have occured to some parties, the sad fact is that preserving a ship is a very expensive undertaking. The hard economic realities of The Great Depression saw to it that any such scheme would die befor it ever got off the ground.

More's the pity. With all the jabberjawing of building replicas, it would have been nice to have the Real McCoy!

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
Their mentality back in 1935 is pretty much the same today, if today some company decides to scrap a 24-28 year old passenger liner, who would bother to stop it? Also, during the time the Olympic was scrapped, there was very little interest in the Titanic, to the extent that even reports on the scrapping of the Olympic did not mention anything on the Titanic.

B

Brian R Peterson

I think its a damn shame and a great loss that they scrapped Olympic - which was the most efficient and the cheapest to operate, especially considering how problem prone and costly Cunard-White Star's newer existing fleet was at the time.

Best Regards,

Brian

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Quite a bit written back then never mentioned Titanic, and for obvious reasons, Cunard-White Star made an effort to avoid mentioning the ship in any context. Shipping lines don't like to call attention to their mistakes. Especially when those mistakes kill 1500 people

If all the liners and cruise ships on the way to the breakers in Alang is any indication, there is seldom much interest much less any notice whatever being taken of these vessels going to the scrapheap. The good news is that there is an effort underway to save the Windsor Castle which you can read about on the THE RMS WINDSOR CASTLE TRUST website.

Aug 19, 2006
\Hi Chris Carr Here
If you type in `ALNWICK¬ into the search engine at the top of the page, you will be directed to my photos taken recently at the White Swan, Alnwick. Also a link to the lights now in Sheffield
Chris

Aelvir

Jun 9, 2018
Wilmington, DE; USA
Kevin. To add to what Adam stated.
At this time, White Star and Cunard weren't doing very well, and the depression was taking its toll. Meanwhile, the brand new, ultra modern, art deco styled 1019.6 foot ship, job 534 which was to become better known as the Queen Mary, sat in the John Brown shipyard 6 months from launch. For 27 months she sat rusting away; all work had ceased on her, and 4,000 builders and 10,000 contractors were without jobs adding to the depression. The government finally made a compromise stating they would give a loan to complete her, IF the White Star line and Cunard merged. Reluctantly they did so, and it was Cunard's job to combine the two fleets. I imagine that since the Olympic had 20+ years in, she was one of the first choice to go.
The Queen Mary became a symbol of hope for all, moral and stock market rose, work resumed, and things started back on the road to recovery.
Given the time of decommission and sale of the Olympic, and the grand entrance of the Queen Mary, I have always felt that Olympics life was given in place of Queen Mary, and in my opinion, for a very worthy cause.

Colleen
I disagree. While Queen Mary is a nice ship and more effective exterior a tech wise, she’s ridiculously inferior in interior. The ArtDeco was honestly what cut a lot of Olympic’s numbers after they repainted a lot of her interior for the ArtDeco style, ie: the promenade chairs and the Grand Staircase being painted that ugly like green. Many of her returning passengers stopped boarding after seeing those ugly changes. As for the Queen Mary, she was not very interesting to look at, her hallways look nice but her rooms and fittings are akin to a run-of-the mill, even for her time. Statistics wise, it’s been proven that Olympic would’ve lasted a few more years had she remained in commercial service, though thankfully they didn’t go through the cruise idea with her as that would’ve made them lose a lot of money. The Art Deco style literally started the idea of looking expensive over style. Aquitania remained in service until 1950 just by her elegance and popularity alone, and she started not long after Olympic did. Another fact of the matter is that Cunard was not very willing to take risks for a ship they have no concern about as they were full on planning to eradicate traces of White Star Line from the merger. Secondly PAS Franklin stated in her last days that Olympic was still the finest ship afloat, if only he made an offer.