Where the Straus bodies

S

samuel garcia

one of my titanic books said ida and her husband went down with the ship? is this true
Title of book: eyewitness books titanic

Dec 6, 2000
Both Ida & Isidore Strauss died during the sinking. Ida's body was not recovered, but Isidore's was.

Based on the fact his body was found, I do not think the Strauss' went below just prior to the sinking. I suspect they both remained topside - but I have no proof.

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
I'm afraid not, Samuel.

The Straus' were certainly on deck when the ship went down, and certainly not in their stateroom as depicted in the film. In an account attributed to Mrs. Harris, the elderly couple were last seen heading in the direction of the stern shortly after her lifeboat (collapsibe D) had departed.

Given that only 15 minutes could have elapsed between the lowering of boat 'D' and the foundering of the vessel, it would be reasonable to surmise that they were enveloped by the rising waters at some point aft on the port side of the boat deck.

The fact Olaus Abelseth, who had observed the couple, and who jumped from the aft end of the port deck, would tend to bolster the theory.

Had the Straus' remained in their cabin, Isidor's body could not have been recovered.

Hope this helps,
Ben

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Ummm...what exactly does "went down with the ship" mean? Does it literally mean "went to the seabed inside the ship" or does it mean "died when the ship sank?" If you search the web---indeed, search this message board---you'll find frequent use of the the phrase with respect to people who died in a shipwreck whether their bodies were recovered or not. (In fact, you'll find some references on this board to Titanic survivors who went into the water and were later rescued.) So, before anyone can really address whether Mr. and Mrs. Straus did or didn't "go down with the ship," definition of the term is needed.

S

samuel garcia

idas husbands body is in the ocean! I have proof they found the wrong body!

S

samuel garcia

The reason i refuse to believe they found the bodies is cause the couple should be in the sea together cause husband and wife should be together!

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Samuel, you started two new threads for the last two posts above. I've merged both into this thread, which is one you had already started on the same topic. Please contain your posts on this subject to this thread, as per the messageboard rules.

Next time you start a thread on the same topic, it will not be moved - it will be sent to the recycle bin.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>idas husbands body is in the ocean! I have proof they found the wrong body!<<

Nope. Sorry, but it isn't. The recovery of the body, the circumstances surrounding it and the identification are a matter of well documented fact.

>>The reason i refuse to believe they found the bodies is cause the couple should be in the sea together cause husband and wife should be together!<<

The Atlantic Ocean I'm afraid doesn't know this or much care. A corpse in the ocean is at the mercy of wind, currents, wave and whatever hungry sealife sees same as a welcome source of raw protein. Wind, wave, currents and predetors looking for a meal don't look for wedding rings.