kevin l johnson

from what I read on her web site she made her last
voyage on 27 March 1934 from Southhampton t
New York and was sold for 100,000 pounds
for scrap then resold to Jarret of metal
and towed in 1937 to be dismantled

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
There is a picture of the Olympic, scuttled to her superstructure, being towed to final demolition. This picture is in "Titanic: An Illustrated History", by Lynch & Marschall.
The picture shows the ship being towed away, as young schoolboys watch from a nearby pier.
Has anyone established who took that picture?

Nigel Bryant

Aug 1, 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
That is one of the saddest images of the Olympic's life or I guess I could say death. Pity it had to come to this but work is money. I'd rather wish she had some sunk on the way to the breakers yard than the fate she otherwise had. I don't know who took the picture in Illustrated History but in the credits of the book I think it states that is owned by THS. Maybe they know who took the photo?

Nigel

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
If not, it would most likely be just a member of the public who came to see the towing on the Olympic and decided to snap a photo of it. So, in this case, THS would not know who took the picture.

N

Nicolas Roughol

That photo is well known and is present on many websites (including mine
happy.gif
) but as to who took it it's a complete mystery as far as I know.

The Olympic would have been at Inverkeithing, Fife, Scotland where she was towed after being stripped down to her boilers in Jarrow, Tyne & Weir, England. Living in Edinburgh, I'm just on the south side of the River Forth, while Inverkeithing is on the North Side. The scrap yard where the Olympic's keel was broken is still there, as is the yard's offices which has the Olympic's name among the long list of ships that 'died' there.

The north bank of the Firth (Scottish word for estuary) of Forth also includes Rosyth which is where the Mauretania was taken to be scrapped in July 1935. The Queen Mary had a painting aboard her that depicted Mauretania being towed under the Forth Rail Bridge, her masts cut down so she could make the clearing under the bridge.

The QE2 was in the Forth in June this year, en route to Norway. I thought how symbolic it was to have two great pieces of Scottish Engineering right next to each other.

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
>>That photo is well known and is present on many websites (including mine) but as to who took it it's a complete mystery as far as I know.<<
Then how come its copyright and who is the owner?