Where were Lusitania and Mauretania?

Logan Geen

Dec 2, 2001
Does anyone know where the Lusitania and Mauretania were at the time the Titanic was sinking? I don't remember them receiving the distress call, or indeed any references to them at all during that time. Were they at sea, in drydock or simply in port during the disaster?

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Mauretania was en route from Liverpool to New York, where she arrived on 19 April. Quite a few newspapers published reports of Mauretania's passengers sighting wreckage during the trip. See, for example, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OceanicSteamNavigationCo/files/Titanic%20News%20Articles/The%20Shore%20Press/21%20April%201912%2C%20%231

As for Lusitania, the sources I typically turn to to try to track specific voyage dates don't show any New York arrivals for her between 15 March and 3 May, so I don't quite know where she was. Unless someone else has some specific informatin, I'll try to track this down in the next week or so.

T

trevor ward powell

Hi
I believe the lusitania was temporarily out of service for technological reasons. I recall Benji Guggenheim had originally booked passage on lusitania, but later transferred his passage to Titanic.

-trevor

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
According to the Marconi radio chart for April, Lusitania was due to leave New York on 10 April, arriving at Liverpool on 15 April. That's not as fast as it looks, as the departure was very early on 10 April and the arrival late on 15 April. She was due to sail back later in the month.

I stand to be corrected on this. My copy of the chart is rather small, my sight is a bit off and my cat kept standing on the page.

A

Aaron_2016

The Cunard liner Mauretania stopped her engines on Sunday night April 14th 1912 and searched for a First class passenger who jumped overboard. Does anyone know where the liner was in relation to the Titanic?

Alarm on the Mauretania. Sunday Night, April 14th 1912.

Mauretania01.png

Two big ocean liners declaring emergencies and stopping on the same night.

Mauretania1.png

Mauretania03.png

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
The Marconi radio chart places Mauretania somewhere around 20°W on the 14th, so nowhere near Titanic. I haven't been able to find her sailing date from Liverpool for New York.

A

Aaron_2016

The Marconi radio chart places Mauretania somewhere around 20°W on the 14th, so nowhere near Titanic. I haven't been able to find her sailing date from Liverpool for New York.

Newspaper reports mention the Mauretania sailing out of Liverpool on Saturday April 13th 1912. Not sure how many miles that would put her behind the Titanic. Wonder if they relayed wireless reports to each other, or if they picked up reports from the Carpathia.

april13th.png