Where will QM2 be on April 23 & 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark J. Jochim

I'm planning a trip to NYC - arriving late on April 21 and leaving on the 26th. Of course, I'll be documenting (on video and stills) QM2's arrival on the morning of the 22nd, and the tandem departure of her and the QE2 on the 25th.

In all the brochures, Cunard's site, etc. there is no mention of where QM2 will be on the 23rd and 24th. Will she be at the PCT the entire time (and, if so, will there be an "open house")? Or, will she take one of the "cruises to nowhere" as scheduled for Mother's Day and Independence Day?

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Hi Mark.

I checked the Cunard website, and have noted that there is no "side-cruise" planned for the QM2, between the 22nd and the 25th. She will, likely, be docked in New York during that time.

RE: "open house": I, personally, think the ship will be off-limits during this time. The only ones allowed on board will be noted dignitaries and elected officials, if anyone.
And, no, I don't have close contacts with Michael, George, Charles, Hillary, etc.
sad.gif

M

Mark J. Jochim

My hope, too, is that she'll be at the PCT both of these days but I still won't rule out a short voyage. My reasoning for this is the fact that although all published schedules had her arriving in Fort Lauderdale on 1/26 and not leaving until 1/31, in actuality, she departed that port once again on 1/28 (at 1700), returning at 0600 on 1/30. Then, QM2 departed once again on 1/30 at 1700, returning the following morning at 0600 in time to depart on her scheduled Maiden Caribbean Cruise at 1700 that afternoon. Maybe I'm just curious, but I'd like to find out where she was during the time she wasn't in the port. (The only mention of these movements, other than eyewitness accounts, is the Harbor Master reports for Port Everglades on the days in question.)

While the actual ship may be "off-limits", will the neighboring parking decks at PCT be open to foot traffic while the ship lies idle(they're closed during arrivals and departures). Obviously, I'm trying to find good positions from which to film and photograph the ship from various angles.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Mark- Concerning the movement of the ship, on the maiden voyage there was some talk amongst the crew of short cruises being made for the US travel agents and press. Don't know how true that was, but it might explain what you saw.

Concerning the parking decks being open for viewing, I'd say "maybe or maybe not." Security on the first voyage was extremely tight in some places and not as tight in others:

Southampton: No admission to pier area and terminal complex pre-sailing. On sailing day taxis and cars for passengers were allowed in, but we were not allowed out of the terminal to see the ship once we entered. Best, in fact only, close view of the ship available to theh general public was from the various ferries which passed.

Madeira: Passengers had free access to the pier, but there were two separate security checkpoints one had to pass through if one returned to the pier, as we did, on foot. Best available general view of the ship was from the beach we were moored opposite, probably 300 yards away. Police craft kept boats at a distance, although once we sailed private craft were able to get VERY close.

Tenerife: We were moored at the furthest extent of a very long pier complex, and the general public was allowed to get fairly close to the ship- there was a barrier and checkpoint about a hundred feet forward of our bow, and a correpsonding barrier atop the harbor wall, but those who cared to make the walk had a fairly good unobstructed view of the ship. Police boats kept harbor craft at bay.

Las Palmas: Entire pier complex was open to the general public, and if there was security it was VERY discreet. Subsequently, this was the only 'fun' port we were in- the empty terminals in the other ports became progressively drearier.

Barbados. Pier and harbor wall complex may or may not have been guarded. It was hard to tell.

St. Thomas: Moored out side the harbor and passengers brought in by tender. Late in the day we were circled by a helicopter, and by several police boats and Coast Guard Vessels which kept the general public at a great distance.

Fort Lauderdale: No public access.

So, don't count on being able to access the parking decks. I don't see how they can close down the whole pier complex 'though, so the best photos you'll likely get will be from the sidewalk on the lower level of the terminal complex, between piers. Bring at least two lenses, because if there is a ship moored opposite her it might be difficult to frame a bow-to-stern shot wihtout the aid of a wider angle than a standard lens gives.

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
I haven't seen how tight security is here, because the QE2 is coming here next month and I am going to take some photos.

It was OK to go right alongside a ship a few years ago, but now with the terrorism threat I think security has tightened a lot in many countries.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Mark & Jim,

"Concerning the movement of the ship, on the maiden voyage there was some talk amongst the crew of short cruises being made for the US travel agents and press. Don't know how true that was, but it might explain what you saw."

That's exactly what happened. A local reporter wrote an article on the QM2, while taking the short cruise.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Today, at work, someone mentioned that she heard about a charity event to be held on the ship, when the ship is in New York.

I told my coworker that any such events would, likely, occur AFTER Jason and I disembarked, on the 22nd, and that I would not be able to afford the likely cost of attending any such charitable event.

Status
Not open for further replies.