Whereabouts of Lusitania's propellors and anchors

Feb 14, 2011
In 1982 I believe Lusitania's portside anchor was recovered, as were all 4 propellors. (correct me if Im wrong). Last i read the anchor chain was sitting in a scrap yard- anyone here know the current wereabouts of these large artifacts? Is it true one of the props was melted down into golf clubs, or is that just an urban myth?

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
From what I remember, only three props were recovered. One was likely buried or otherwise inaccessible, and it is true one was melted down into (very expensive) golf clubs. Another is sitting in a Welsh scrap yard, and if memory serves, another may be at a museum. As for the anchors, I haven't heard one word. I'm sure someone with more in-depth info could tell you more.

Adam

K

Kevin Spaans

Hi there,

Do you have any idea if the prop in the Welsh scrap yard is in any danger of becoming just that, scap, or is there a push to preserve it? I just can't imagine losing such an important piece of history to the scrappers torch.

Thanks
~Kevin Spaans

Nov 22, 2000
One serves as a monument at Merseyside Maritime Museum, Liverpool, England and was purchased by them for its scrap value!

Geoff

ian Hough

Dec 17, 2002
Cheshire, United Kingdom
I have no interest in the Lusitania but before I get called a B******y Philistine - I am interested in the Titanic and while I was in Liverpool I took this photo for you of the propeller.
59567.png

59568.png

If you want to know what is written on the notice you will have to let me know - I would have included it but the writing is small and I can not read it in artificial light so it will have to be tomorrow

all the best
Houghie
mad.gif

Omar Khokhar

Aug 27, 2008
Nice to see that photo Ian, I hope you enjoyed your visit to Liverpool. I happen to have been born in Liverpool and live in Liverpool (Lusitania`s home), so I do get the chance to visit that propeller now and again and just to be able to touch it it means a lot to me i.e it is the only part of the Lusitania I will ever get to touch!

ian Hough

Dec 17, 2002
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Omar

I always love my trips to Liverpool - I live just one hour down the M6 so quite often visit - but this year has been exceptional - I have been in the Records office (Library) around 40 odd times so far tracking down Titanic passengers and after my trip to S/Hampton later this month - I will be back!

My better half to be was born in Fazackerley, but her father relocated to Notts when she was 8yrs

All the best
Houghie
mad.gif

ian Hough

Dec 17, 2002
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Omar

I assume you have not seen my thread in the Titanic passenger section on Sara Stapp where your question will be answered
wink.gif

My search for Sara began in Liverpool - moved to Birkenhead - and finished in New Brighton (Nice tour of the Wirral)

All the best
Houghie
mad.gif

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Ian,

I certainly would not call you [or anyone else on this board] that. It is the term I reserve for those who would destroy history and culture for a quick buck.

to the contrary my friends here show a healthy respect for history and culture.

kind regards

Martin

ian Hough

Dec 17, 2002
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Martin

Fear not my friend it was said 'tongue in cheek' It was late at night when I posted it, I was tired and I forgot to put a
happy.gif
at the end of the sentence. I should have gone to bed and posted it the next day - but I just got carried away as I do sometimes.

All the best
Houghie
mad.gif

T

THOMAS D DYER

I read recently one propellor is at Cobh (QueensTown), Ireland.

N

nik hall

did you know that one of the propellers from the lusitania was found in a scrapyard in england? my mother found it and tried to get the museum in cobh to take it, but she was unsuccessful and as far as i know it was then sold for its weight as scrap. very sad i think.

Dec 23, 2017
did you know that one of the propellers from the lusitania was found in a scrapyard in england? my mother found it and tried to get the museum in cobh to take it, but she was unsuccessful and as far as i know it was then sold for its weight as scrap. very sad i think.
Have any more information on the matter?

That is quite amazing if the museum failed to take it.