Which areas or rooms of the wreck would you want to explore?

Lena1985

Jan 26, 2017
Scotland
I would like to see if you could access any of the kitchens, see what kind of equipment was being used down there. The Cafe Parisien, Verandah /Palm Court. The smoking room. Scotland Road. 3rd class areas. Cabins on D Deck. Squash court and swimming pool. So many areas!

I like the idea of the tiny drone / ROV scooting in areas that the bigger ROVs cant access.

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
If you were leading a future expedition to the wreck, what areas or rooms would you try to explore and what would you hope or expect to find?

Boiler rooms. Chiefly I want to know with some degree of certainty any observed damage to the interior of the hull, and to know if any of the bulkheads actually collapsed. Now I understand, this might be just me, but I want to have a detailed of a forensic understanding of the sinking as is possible while it is still possible to arrive at such an understanding at all.

Reactions: 1 users

Rancor

Jun 23, 2017
They have got this close...

ladder.jpg

If I understand it correctly the ROV was looking into this door on Scotland Road.

ScotlandRoad.png

Not sure how far they might be able to make it in though, assuming another expedition was ever attempted. The interior might be a mess of collapsed ladders and piping that could snag a ROV.

Reactions: 2 users
Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
That is a remarkable photo!

That much said, I don't know of any expeditions which have probed the wreck as deeply as James Cameron did, and it's been something like 12 years since that photo was taken. If it was deemed too risky for an ROV even then, I doubt it's improved any since that time.

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
I would also like to explore the stern area in more detail, accompanied but someone who has complete analytical knowledge about investigating deep wrecks and drawing most likely conclusion scenarios. Putting the practical difficulties to one side, I am particularly interested in the flooding pattern of the stern after the break-up, including the timeline before eventual implosion of the structure.

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
That is a remarkable photo!

That much said, I don't know of any expeditions which have probed the wreck as deeply as James Cameron did, and it's been something like 12 years since that photo was taken. If it was deemed too risky for an ROV even then, I doubt it's improved any since that time.

I always have in mind two things, first that you are correct--it has been over 12 years; however, while the wreck has deteriorated ROV technology has accelerated. I am hoping that eventually an ROV that is small enough to not have to risk itself can get sent down into those boiler rooms. Second, the historian in me feels like the payoff is worth the risk regardless.

Then again, it is never going to be my multi-million dollar ROV at risk. :D

Jun 18, 2016
Assuming we can build the ROV I want (very small, little or no connection to a 'mother ship')

BOW:
- crew quarters underneath the foc'sle deck, and the anchor & windlass gear
- cargo/mail holds (I know, several tries to get down the hatches have been thwarted, and the "bend" in the bow runs right thru the middle of that area)
- Boiler rooms 6 & 5 (maybe not down escape trunks, but down the Fidley fan/trunk vents against the funnel casings)

STERN: (not much, given its condition)
- steering gear & engines, just aft of where 3rd Class general/smoke room were
- and I KNOW below-the-mud surveys are a pain, but I want something that can look at the sternpost under the mud and take a look at that center propeller! (3-blades.. I want to see it!!)

Cheers,

Kodos//
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Mr. Lowe! Take a bosun's party and a Master-at-Arms, and get those children off the foc'sle at once!

Nov 14, 2005
I would like to explore the mail room to see what was in there and the condition of the contents. I'm against taking stuff from the actual wreck but in a weak moment I might be convinced to take the mail bags...study the contents and then return them to wreck. I would think there would be a lot of history in those mail bags.

coal eater

Mar 1, 2018
i would like to explore boielr room 5 and 6 if possible and turbine room along electric engines room aka dynamo room.going further the edge of stern appears to be intact,area above rudder might be explorable?

Reactions: 1 user

Jane Smith

Ship-interior-fan
Aug 16, 2018
US East Coast
These rooms would be interesting to see. I know some of these aren’t possible
For the bow:
The mail room/ post office
(If the wreck deteriorated further) a way down into Boiler Room 6
Squash court (if possible)
The swimming pool (if possible)
Whatever remains of the 3rd class dining room
Windlass gear
The remains of the gymnasium
The remains of the officer's quarters, bridge/wheelhouse

I’m not entirely sure if it’s possible to look at these
I was going to suggest the 1st & 2nd class galley but that’s not in the stern or bow
Barber shop
Maids' & Valets' saloon & aft grand staircase

It would be nice to look at the remains of the 1st class lounge and R&WR but I know that’s impossible

Stern:
Electrical engines
Cargo holds (if possible)
Turbine Engine
Engineer's mess (if intact)
Hospital (if intact)
2nd class dining room (if possible or at all)
2nd class library & 2nd class smoke room (or whatever is left of these rooms
Steering gear room (if possible)
Cafe Parisian & A La Carte restaurant (if possible)
2nd class aft staircase (not entirely sure if it’s still around)
The remains of the Verandah & Palm Court
1st class smoke room remains

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Let's say you have time to explore 4-5 rooms on Titanic's wreck, which one's would you choose? Keep in mind it can be rooms never seen before by other expeditions.
I 'd go for the stern, and try to get inside. If that failed I would photograph every bit of her stern. I feel like it's not well documented. If it's on the bow, I would go for Scotland Road, The Turkish Baths, the First Class dining saloon, and the third class General room

Tim Gerard

Feb 26, 2019
I agree with others that it would be nice to be able to get into boiler rooms 5 and 6 and look for the iceberg damage, but even just seeing what the boiler rooms look like today would be nice. I would like to also just go aft along one of the corridors of staterooms, like C-deck which looks in a fairly straight line, starting at the Grand Staircase and heading aft, to where the ship broke apart. I'm curious what the section where the ship broke apart looks like, today, from inside the ship.

I think also it would be great if there was some way to make a computer simulator, I guess in a similar style as Titanic Honor & Glory, of the wreck. I know that's something that would be extremely difficult to do, if it would be possible at all considering all the spaces that they can't get unmanned ROVs into, but it would be a way to preserve the wreck for future generations, the way THG is preserving the ship as it was afloat.

Reactions: 1 user

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
what the Titanic VR game? I think i heard someone say the developers used a lot of resource photos. spammals i think. I agree about the break, I'd take Scoland road as far aft as possible, to the break. always wondered too!

Mike Bull2019

Oct 8, 2019
UK
It would have to be the swimming pool for me- such a shame that a WTD blocked access in 2005. Although a fairly plain space, I'd wager that it would be a revelation- there was almost no wood in there so I bet you could see the floor tiles, and I'm sure the pool itself would still be tiled.