Which Cabin was Col Weir's

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Helen Chetham

I was wondering if anyone knew why Col Weir is not on the cabin list? He was definately on the ship!!

Dec 7, 2000
Helen,

Hello again. If you hold on tight and if it's of interest enough, someone might publish my theory on the Cave List. In short, the reason Weir is not on the list is because the Cave List was printed before Weir even booked. Going by his price, and that Mr. Julian met him on board, I'm *guessing* that he was also on E deck.

Daniel.

PS. Didn't Mr. Gee meet Weir as well?

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Hi Helen,

I'd agree with Daniel that E-deck is a strong possibility for Weir's cabin, or possibly an inside C-deck berth. When you take into consideration the large number of "unnocupied" cabins remaining on E-deck when Titanic sailed, it seems reasonable to assume that many first class men who paid fares around the £26 mark were berthed on E-deck.

As far as I'm aware, Weir and Julian were among the most elusive on board as next to nothing has ever been recorded by fellow passengers in regards to their shipboard actions and movements. I can't recall, offhand, if Arthur Gee mentioned Weir in his letters.

Ben

Dec 7, 2000
Ben,

Actually Julian is not as elusive as one might think. He wrote at least three letters to his wife about his life aboard Titanic which give quite an interesting insight not only into him being on board, but into Titanic as well.

Daniel.

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Interesting stuff, Daniel. Dare I ask where you managed to pick those up? Julian is of particular interest to me as I'm fairly familiar with the the Torquay area and had an exhausting time locating his memorial stone in the maddeningly sprawling Hele Road cemetery! Would be interesting, also, to read any recollections he may have had of other fellow passengers.

Thanks,
Ben

Dec 7, 2000
Ben,

His letters were partially reproduced (one from a Southampton hotel and 4 from Titanic) in issue #3, 1998 of the Atlantic Daily Bulletin (BTS). You can ask Brian Ticehurst if he still has that issue available, or perhaps he can send you a copy of the pages.

There's even a photo of Julian there as well, but it is the same photo as is seen in George Behe's book Titanic: Psychic Forewarnings of a Tragedy.

Regards,

Daniel.

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Ta for the info, Daniel. Seems odd I that overlooked that one when plowing laboriously through the ADB back issues at this years BTS convention.

Best Regards,
Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.