Which Cabins Were Exposed in Titanic's BreakUp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2000
A Question for Our Technical Experts:

Has anyone done an examination of the wreck photos/diagrams of Titanic to determine which cabins were affected by the hull's splitting in two? Which ones were rent open, in other words, in the break-up? Is there even a way to tell from the pictures?

I ask because I am curious about whether the personal items discovered by the salvagers on the sea-bed can be traced to the occupants of those particular rooms. This has been on my mind since hearing the pitiful news of the possibility that the "artifacts" retrieved may now end up being sold off. My thought is that any items traceable to specific passengers/crew ought to be returned to their descendents (or else put back where they came from).

Perhaps I'm naive here but wouldn't most, if not all, of the personal effects strewn on the sea-floor have had to come from the staterooms which were torn open during the sinking?

This is not a pleasant topic for me and if it were not for my concern for the proper treatment of the personal items taken up from Titanic, I wouldn't bring this up.

Any ideas, guys & gals, as to which staterooms were exposed and thus emptied of their contents by the ship's breaking apart?

Randy

May 8, 2001
Randy. I am no expert here, but from the videos I have seen, they are able to show you which cabins were whose on board. I will throw out a far speculation that the ones that could say would be Eaton and Haas, or Marschall and Lynch since they have been there as well as done such extensive research. Eaton and Haas were able to figure out which state rooms were from the "big piece" with relative certainty. According to one video I have,(IMAX) the "galley" broke in two, and dumped out so it is where they dubbed the name "Hells Kitchen" on the sea floor. Reverse your question for a moment. What if I said that it was my grandfathers cabin's contents spilled out and I wanted them back. They would have to know if ~I~ was lying...
I do add this though. (Being involved in an insurance claim once.) Even if they could prove that they were descendants of the passengers who lost the said items on display, would they have any legal rights to it since the claims were paid off and White Star Line is no more? You would have to have a paper trail for 90 years proving that your family had never "abandoned the claim" IE knew it existed all along,(Thinking about the Atocha battle with Mel Fisher) as well as other documentation such as a photo from beforehand to compare and positively identify the two as being the same.
Edith Haismans fathers watch was recovered, identified and loaned back to her, so anything is possible. Maybe the latest dive by Cameron will enlighten us to many of these questions!
Sincerely:
Colleen

Mar 20, 2000
Thanks Colleen,

I thought I'd watched all the videos on Titanic even the technical docos that have been on Discovery Channel but maybe I've missed some. I do recall about the big piece being attributed to a specific cabin but I guess I was thinking there was a way to determine the tear pattern, as it wasn't straight down, and thus identify the staterooms which were destroyed in the breaking up.

As to bogus claims to the items found,I'm sure this has happened but for someone truly related it wouldn't be too hard to prove kinship as it's not many generations ago.

Relatives of victims/survivors may very well not have any legal rights to possessions taken from Titanic. But if they don't have a right to them, I don't see why anyone else should have the right.

But really I was just wanting to know some specifics on the pattern of the break up; the salvage issue is too hot to play with. I've long since added my 2 cents on that.

Maybe nobody knows anymore than we do on the break-up pattern. It does seem it would be difficult to compare the deck plans to what's left of the wreck now. The decks look like they've sagged or caved in and there seems to be a big piece missing that once joined bow to stern. So it may be just a big guess which cabins were involved in the split.

I think you're right that the Cameron dive may explore some of this for us. I am as curious as anybody as to what was examined on this latest expedition.

Randy

M

Mike Shetina

The Andrews amd Browne suites A36-A37, were torn apart by the break-up. So was the aft staircase. The cabins on the left and right of it must have been destroyed.
Bye-Bye,
Mike Shetina

Dec 7, 2000
All,

Roy Mengot's site has good descriptions of hull break up, including deck by deck details. Looking at this one can figure out which cabins specifically were torn open to the sea and which ones would still be intact.

Daniel.

Status
Not open for further replies.