Which is your favourite lifeboat

• Thread starter João Carlos Pereira Martins
  • Start date

J

João Carlos Pereira Martins

Yeah, you're right Carla! Third class passengers reached the boat deck in time to get in Collapsible B! Loooooooooooooool!!

Thanks for answer my first thread in ET.

Best, João

A

Adam Lang

"If push came to shove then I'd pick Collapsible 'B' even though I'd have Lightoller yelling at me constantly, because I tend to slack a bit when it comes to following orders"

Brr, Collapsible B? Get ready to freeze, Carla ;)

I would probably pick Boat 13, not only to see the incident where Boat 15 almost landed on it, but also because it was my muster station on the cruise I took in Alaska last week on Vision of the Seas. What a great time.

-Adam Lang

J

If Carla wanted to be frozen in Boat B, you would get throttled in the crowd of Boat 13, Adam!

Regards, João!

May 2, 2006
London
>Brr, Collapsible B? Get ready to freeze, Carla ;) <

Surely that can't be as bad as standing in a bathing suit in a snow covered garden like I did one time when I was young and living in Holland... I've never forgotten how stupid I used to be when I was a kid
happy.gif
Oh, and there was also the time that I sat in the cold plunge section on a spa and my lips turned SOO blue - you can't even begin to imagine - I swear that even my goosebumps had goosebumps!!

Besides, I'd get a nice ring-side view and you might just get a few bruises from the crowd '-)

>Third class passengers reached the boat deck in time to get in Collapsible B!<

I'll forget you said that, João!
happy.gif

Carla

J

Carla, you once said me you occupied a single third class berth! That's my resource.

But now, seriously, you could get in another boat, like 15 or 13. They're pretty near the ship during the final plunge. And, in these lifeboats you would have an opportunity to chat with Ruth Becker, Lawrence Beesley or Lillian Asplund (well, she was only 5, I doubt she would have many things to say, regarding the circumstances).

Best, JC

A

Adam Lang

"you might just get a few bruises from the crowd"

Maybe a few bruises, but the body heat will keep me toasty warm. And like Joao said, the view would be pretty reasonable, as long as I wouldn't have to stand up and try to look over the heads of 65 people. Kind of like in a movie theater...

-Adam Lang

May 2, 2006
London
>Carla, you once said me you occupied a single third class berth!<

I did?!! I really think that my memory is failing me. Remind me when I said that... No wonder I did so bad in my exams - I couldn't remember the answers '-)

>Maybe a few bruises, but the body heat will keep me toasty warm<

Okay, I agree that a few bruises are worth it when you get to be warm
happy.gif

Carla

Aug 28, 2005
In My own opinion, My favorite boats would have to be 11 and 15 because they were the ONLY boats out of twenty to leave the ship full. If they'd all been like that, The survivor count would have been closer to 1,250 rather than 705!

J

Christian, not trying to fight your point of view, but if you left the ship in an half-full lifeboat, 11, 13 and 15 would certainly be lowered full in the same way. And you wouldn't need to struggle in the crowd to find a place in a boat, if you left the ship in number 8 or number 5. But well, it would depend of the class you're travelling.

Regards, João

Oct 15, 2006
I would chose the lifeboat 8. I would love to talk with Countess of Rothes who seemed to be a very kind, generous, interesting person, Dr Alice Leader, Miss Cherry, miss Young and Thomas Jones. I always considered it as the most interesting with lifeboat 1 and lifeboat 2.

Mick Molloy

Nov 29, 2002
I was wondering where to put this post, and decided it was best put her. Hope it is not out of place.
1. Broadly I am interested in three survivors and the lifeboats they were said to be in, and how accurate we can assume this information is.
2. The survivors are:
Annie Kate Kelly: Lifeboat 16
Delia McDermott: Lifeboat 13
Anna McGowan: Lifeboats 13 or 14

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

[Moderator's Note: This post, originally posted in an unrelated thread in this subtopic, has been moved to the one discussing the same subject. JDT]

Mick Molloy

Nov 29, 2002
I am interested in three steerage survivors and the lifeboats they were said to be in, and how accurate we can assume this information is.

They are:
Annie Kate Kelly: Lifeboat 16
Delia McDermott: Lifeboat 13
Anna McGowan: Lifeboats 13 or 14

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

[Moderator's Note: This post, originally posted in another topic as a separate thread, has been moved to the pre-existing one addressing the same issue. JDT]

May 27, 2007
The lifeboat Quartermaster Hitchens and Molly Brown were in of course. Sparks flew in that boat on that cold long night. Quartermaster Hitchens doesnt sound like a gentleman hogging all the blankets and the the whiskey and making the women do all the rowing and not helping.
angry.gif

May 27, 2007
I wish Able Seaman Diamond was in the boat with 'em. An ex boxer with a flair for profanity he would of made an interesting situation even more so.
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>An ex boxer with a flair for profanity he would of made an interesting situation even more so.<<

Somehow, I don't think the profanity aspect would have greatly troubled Mrs. Brown to a really great degree. She was a tough lady who lived her life in equally tough surroundings among very tough people.

May 27, 2007
Actually I was thinking that Hitchens would have behaved himself better with Diamond in the boat. Mrs. Brown and Able Seaman Diamond would of got along like a house on fire. They would of ran that boat.