Which one

Jun 4, 2003
Which other liner of the same with the Titanic is considered as fine as her? Can anyone else tell me whether Titanic was indeed the grandest of all and whether other vessels were superior in terms of luxury, accomodation, speed etc? Thanks!

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
George, the short answer is, "Plenty."

Titanic was much like other liners of her time. In fact, she was less grand and elegant inside than some others. Take a look at the first class dining room of Lusitania. As to speed, Lusitania and Mauretania were notably faster than Titanic. They could do about 26 knots. Don't forget the German ships and the very fine Aquitania. If Titanic had not sunk so dramatically, she'd hardly be remembered today. Her wonders have been much exaggerated.

B

Brent Holt

Obviously Titanic's sistership Olympic was very similar, and the Imperator and Vaterland were arguably more grand than the White Star sisters.

Brent

A

Alex McLean

There are photos all over the internet of the ships mentioned here. Try www.greatships.net, and I am sure if you searched around for ocean liners or even for the names of the ships you would get quite a few interesting articles.
My best,
happy.gif

Alex

By the way, I may be near your side of the world quite a few times next year. If you feel like meeting up, drop me a line! error141@hotmail.com

Nigel Bryant

Aug 1, 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
Though the Lusitania and Mauretania could not compete with Olympic and Titanic's fine exterior lines in my opinion. The Olympic-class interiors were defiantly not ostentatious like some of her first-class rivals but I share Michael Standart’s view "they (the Olympic class interiors) were a study in restrained good taste".

Best,

Nigel