Which song says it all

H

Holly Peterson

I didn't really title this thread correctly ... but is there one song that really says it all for you? I mean, one that you hear and your eyes start to water because the music just sweeps you back to that night, as if you were really standing on that starlit deck with a doomed throng of humanity, staring down at the black water or up at the starry heavens... for me, it would be 'Nearer my God to Thee,' or 'My Heart will Go On.' Nearer my God to Thee is such a beautiful old hymn, and for me every note just breathes 'Titanic.' My Heart Will Go On is so beautiful and enchanting, haunting and poignant,and makes me remember everyone, husband and wife, lovers, parents and children, whose lives were torn apart that night.

A few weeks ago, my Grade 8 band had their end-of-the-year concert, and we were playing 'My Heart Will Go On,' for all the parents. I play the clarinet and we were in the middle of the song when I just started to cry. Fortunately I got a hold of myself and nobody saw (or if they did, they were polite enough not to mention it) but for an instant, I was just 'transported' back to the Titanic and felt that all 1,500 who lost their lives were listening.

A

Allison Cleckler

One piece that gets me--well, there are two--is "A Shore Never Reached" from the Back To Titanic soundtrack. I can't for the life of me imagine where it would have fit into the film, but for some reason, when the horns come back in over the final bagpipe note, I just choke up. The other is "A Promise Kept", which in my opinion is one of the saddest film cues ever written. Oh, and a section of "Take Her To Sea, Mr. Murdoch" also slays me because it's just so HAPPY.

"Nearer My God To Thee" also brings out the waterworks.

My high school band played "My Heart Will Go On" once and I would have liked it better if a) the arrangement hadn't been so cheesy and b) if the song hadn't become so horribly cliched.

K

Kylar

Nearer My God To Thee, MY Heart Will Go On, and probably the hymn Eternal Father Strong To Save

mueller

mueller

theres a few songs that says it all for me but one of them is not about the sinking but rather about the moments after the ship left queenstown ireland the last town titanic stopped in prior to going out to sea when i hear the last part of take her out to sea mr murdoch from the movie titanic it means there was going to be no turning back all they would see until they reach their destination of new york ,was nothing but miles and miles of ocean, but as we all know the ship didn't make it to new york, and as far as the songs that says it all for the sinking the first one i think of is eternal father strong to save. this song kind of gives me goosebumps every time i hear it takes me back to the sunday church service where survivors said that this was one of the songs played during the service just hours before the disaster which claimed the lives of so many people. The second song that says it all is nearer my god to thee when i hear that song, i think of the band trying to bring comfort and peace to the panicking passengers in their final moments of life. to me, my heart will go on is not just about the survivors and the people who died on board the titanic, but its also about all of us. we all have lost loved ones sometimes in our lives, and though they are gone, our memories of them remain in our hearts and will remain there forever. may god grant eternal peace to all the titanic passengers whether they survived the disaster or died in the disaster may god also watch over any known desendants living today.

mueller

mueller

theres a few songs that says it all for me, but one of them is not about the sinking, but rather about the moments after the ship left queenstown ireland, the last town titanic stopped in prior to going out to sea. when i hear the last part of take her out to sea mr murdoch from the movie titanic, it tells me that there was going to be no turning back. all they would see, until they reach their destination of new york , was nothing but miles and miles of ocean, but as we all know, the ship didn't make it to new york, and as far as the songs that says it all for the sinking the first one i think of is eternal father strong to save. this song kind of gives me goosebumps every time i hear it. it takes me back to the sunday church service where survivors said that this was one of the songs played during the service just hours before the disaster which claimed the lives of so many people. The second song that says it all is nearer my god to thee when i hear that song, i think of the band trying to bring comfort and peace to the panicking passengers in their final moments of life. as for the song my heart will go on i have a different way me, my heart will go on is not just about the survivors and the people who died on board the titanic, but its also about all of us. we all have lost loved ones sometimes in our lives, and though they are gone, our memories of them remain in our hearts and will remain there forever. may god grant eternal peace to all the titanic passengers whether they survived the disaster or died in the disaster may god also watch over any known desendants living today.