Whistles

CollinSearls

CollinSearls

Is it known what note/pitch (I apologize, I'm not too well educated on audio terms ><) each whistle dome approximately played?

C

Casper

hello there.

I was wondering how they blew the whistles? Are there a switch on the bridge or something?

Steven Christian

Steven Christian

I was wondering how they blew the whistles? Are there a switch on the bridge or something?[/QUOTE]

The three domes are 9in., 15in., and 12in. in diameter. The total height from the base of the branch piece to the top of the centre dome is 4ft. 2½in., and the extreme width over the outer dome is 3ft. 6in. The total weight of the three domes and branch pieces is about 6¾cwt. [675 pounds]. One set has been fitted on each of the two foremost funnels. The whistles are electrically operated, the officer on the bridge having merely to close a switch to give the blast, and there is also an electric time-control arrangement, fitted on the Willett-Bruce system, whereby the whistles are automatically blown for 8 to 10 seconds every minute during thick weather.
Titanic steam-whistle

Itsstillthinking

Itsstillthinking

Believe it or not i just saw one of them on the weekend in person. It was one of the aft dummy sets from Funnel num 3 & 4. Believe it or not they are not as big as i always thought, granted this was one of the outer ones of the trio so its a bit smaller but certainly not as vast as i thoughto_O

C

Casper

I was wondering how they blew the whistles? Are there a switch on the bridge or something?

The three domes are 9in., 15in., and 12in. in diameter. The total height from the base of the branch piece to the top of the centre dome is 4ft. 2½in., and the extreme width over the outer dome is 3ft. 6in. The total weight of the three domes and branch pieces is about 6¾cwt. [675 pounds]. One set has been fitted on each of the two foremost funnels. The whistles are electrically operated, the officer on the bridge having merely to close a switch to give the blast, and there is also an electric time-control arrangement, fitted on the Willett-Bruce system, whereby the whistles are automatically blown for 8 to 10 seconds every minute during thick weather.
Titanic steam-whistle
Ok, thank you :)