WHITE HOUSE pntg Lucy or Maury

Jan 29, 2001
Thanks to the changing of the guard an article in regards to the on-goings of the White House appeared in the Jan. '09 Nat. Geo. On page 134
is a photograph on an interior WH room, plainly visible in the background is an original painting in an ornate gold frame of either Lusitania or Mauretaina. Attesting by the Satue of Liberty the liner is outward bound. I tried to read the attached brass inscription via jewelers loop, to no avail.

I wonder if G. Bush got to take that one home to Crawford, TX?

Michael Cundiff

Tom McLeod

Sep 1, 2005
I e-mailed the one of the editors of National Geographic asking them if they had more information about the painting. Plus there is always inquires to be made through the White House Staff, the Chief Usher or someone of the like who I would assume to be pretty responsive to such. I know this is just in fun really, but it could be kind of interesting. Wish me luck.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Possibly part of F D Roosevelt's collection. He also had some very fine ship models in his study at the White House, including the Mauretania and the Olympic. I wonder where they are now.

Jan 29, 2001
Bob: Yes FDR had an interest in Liners. Was'nt it he who remarked on the *death* of Mauretania 1, voicing that it would have been more appropriate to take her out to sea and sink her, as opposed to the scrapyard? Just imagine diving today to explore her beautiful arched stern and quadruple screws.

In my Mauretania collection I have a partial copy
of the fittings auction catalog, compliments of Mr. Brian Ticehurst.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Jan 29, 2001
Mark B., Thanks so much for the link.

As an aside to an earlier reference to yourself as a deity...I wanted to respond with..."MARK BABER HIMSELF COULD NOT SINK THIS LIST." :)

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi All,

FDR also dictated a lovely note on July 2nd, 1935. She was not however, "...turned into shot and shell" as far as I can tell, nor was any of her metal used on the QM. I am hoping to get some nice images of either my collection of scrap items or some unpublished photograph(s) from my collections together for my 735TH post (her hull number).

Best to all,
Eric

Jan 29, 2001
Eric: I am looking forward to sharing a couple prized MAURETANIA 1 items with you as soon as I am able...still without capabilities. An *actual* log abstract, from the bridge, not the type given to sailing passengers. The log is from the return-half of her maiden crossing ('07). I did the proper follow-up research via the NY Times microfilm and to my surprise, front page article notes the passage with the exact Long. & Lat. as well as weather conditions, precisely as hand penned on the log abstract I was so fortunate to aquire. BTW, I really enjoy viewing your original MAURETANIA 1 collection/ images!

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Dear Michael,

I look forward to that! I have a unique photocard of her taken the day she left on her maiden eastbound voyage with an equally interesting message - ought to go nicely with your materials. The photo was taken on the Saturday morning, developed on Kodak photocard paper, written and posted by 11:30 A.M. Even the fog which initially delayed her return run is shown in the photo and described in the message.
I am very happy you enjoy my images. It means a lot to me. I'll try to get something neat together with you in mind for my next post, which I'll be happy to make as the Mauretania threads are so very quiet.
Speaking of images, I'll relate a rather amazing story. I just purchased a wonderful Mauretania construction photocard (unusual - in the cradle, not the fitting out basin). I have an incredibly dynamic launch photocard in my collections posted from Wallsend 25 1/2 hours after the event with the message "Another fine view of this vessel launching" which always made me wonder about the other card(s) implied. Well, I was browsing eBay recently and found this very unusual construction card. I used to spend a lot of time authenticating and buying/selling old Hollywood autographs and am blessed with a fairly photographic memory. So, I recognized the handwriting on this eBay card immediately and sure enough, after pulling out my card, it is the "sister" card to the one I own. I won the auction and am pleased to reunite these two long lost "relatives" after who knows how long apart!

Best wishes always,
Eric

E

Ellen Grace Butland

I will be looking out for your new post, Eric, many thanks in advance.

B

Brent Holt

"Apparently; look here. This is Brent Holt's web site, I believe."

Yes, that is my site. It is still in its early design stages so I have not talked about it much. I hope to eventually use it to spread new information and research that does not necessarily make it into books.

FDR's tribute to the Mauretania was quite moving and was released to the public after his death.

Jan 29, 2001
Eric: Yes indeed! I would *love* to have that real-photo card of MAURY in regards to her maiden eastbound crossing. *Our* beloved MAURY is so important to me, I needed a real-photo card of Craig Sopin's. I went as far as to trade a color p.c. of CARPATHIA, postmarked two weeks after TITANIC sank from Fiumme, message in part entails..."This is the great ship of the day, the hero of the Titanic disaster". You will find a *front only* image of this particular card on the TI web-site. However I retain both front & back *color* copies of the card for my self-satisfaction.
Here, I will provide my physical address so as we could perhaps muster a trade-

Michael A. Cundiff
323 N. Stewart St. Apt. 127
Carson City, NV 89701

Thanking you in advance Eric.

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Dear Michael,

Do be careful about posting your home address online. You might want the above removed - ask a moderator. And do let me know if you received my PM.

Best wishes,
Eric

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
www.titanicology.com
>>Possibly part of F D Roosevelt's collection. He also had some very fine ship models in his study at the White House, including the Mauretania and the Olympic. I wonder where they are now.<<

That last I've seen of the models built by FDR was in the FDR library in Hyde Park, New York. Plan to spend the good part of day if go touring the grounds, his historic house and the museum.

Jan 29, 2001
Thanks for the advice Eric...no fret however the high end piece of my collection are in a nearby safe deposit box, and BTW, they had a bomb scare at that bank just yesterday. Hence, I have color copies of my prominent pieces...some of which I wanted to share, via snail mail with you. I may even go as far as to part with the MAURETANIA arriving in Cuba, say for a great real-photo card of MAURY bearing interesting message.

Anyhow, I am at home most of the time, owing to my near death experience. I am on the Gov't's list now...at only 51!

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA