White Star and Cunard meeting in The Netherlands

Hanco Bol

Nov 2, 2008
Dear Michael,

I know there are a lot of Titanic related associations abroad, but in The Netherlands most associations are (logical) related to the Holland America Line. Since quite some years I collect White Star Line & Cunard brochures and books en read quite a lot about it in both these publications and on the internet as well.

I am certainly not the only person in The Netherlands (I suppose)with this passion and I like to share my thoughts will other people who are based here and like to talk about it.

Most of my friends and relatives listen to my information about these liners, but do not have the same passion so I was wondering if other people might be interested to have a White Star and Cunard evening to have nice discussions with each other related to these subjects.

Focussing on people here in The Netherlands my text was in Dutch. I hope this will give you some more information and if you or relatives of you are interested in such a session, please let me know.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Leuk om jou te ontmoeten. Waar kom je vandaan?

Sorry, Michael
happy.gif

Hello, Hanco: Good luck with this! There is a very active liner 'crowd' in Amsterdam that extends beyond the Holland America/Willem Ruys circle of aficianados and it should not be too difficult to network with them. The principal piece of artwork for our latest to-be-released-soon Lusitania article, in fact, was produced in Amsterdam. A bunch of us are going out to the Rotterdam as soon as that project is completed, including my Amsterdam friends, so perhaps at that point a liner-themed get together might be possible.

Veel geluk

Sorry, Michael.
happy.gif

Hanco Bol

Nov 2, 2008
Dear Jim,

Good to hear! I am living in Leiden and have not heart from the project. Could you tell some more about it?

Regards,

Hanco

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
> Wat er zoal voorhanden is aan materiaal

Ah, that is a question we all ask from time to time. If you are specifically looking for Dutch-language White Star or Cunard material, it is rather rare. We have on hand Dutch language material, 'though for the Dutch "White Star" ship, the lost Harland and Wolff Statendam of 1914.

> Ook gaat de interesse uit naar de Lusitania & Mauretania van Cunard.

Ik begrijp het heel goed!
happy.gif

>Could you tell some more about it?

Het kan me niet schelen...

Myself, Mike Poirier, Cliff Barry and Peter Kelly are in the final stages of creating a massive article about the sinking of the Lusitania, using ONLY first person accounts, and predominantly ones from May 7-14 since these tend to be the most truthful. The manuscript is currently at a slim and trim 274 pages, single spaces, font size 11 text. Which means that once it is formatted for computer, with the pictures in place, it will run from 700 to 800 pages long.

This is rather like an Encyclopedia-Titanica in-house project, since all aspects of it, from research to editing, have been done by ET members. An architect from Amsterdam who I befriended in the Normandie pages here has done the 'cover art' for me~ a particularly nice night view of the ship. The poster art is a tinted real color view of the ship in 1907, courtesy of Eric Longo.

>Liefhebbers van uitsluitend de Titanic film van James Cameron of andere rederijen,

Ik voel me niet lekker. Ontruim het gebouw, alstublieft.

>Titanic film

...kloten van de bok....

Polite translation: Not in OUR circle of friends.
happy.gif

Gauw tot ziens

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
This is a rough draft, from last April, of a portion of the cover art.

132609.jpg

The actual image is, of course, in color and full length.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Focussing on people here in The Netherlands my text was in Dutch.<<

That's understandable. The reason I asked if you could offer a translation would be for the sake of a readership that is mostly English speaking...unfortunately to the exclusion of all else...who might be interested in getting together with you.

I'd like to but don't have the means but others just might.

>>Sorry, Michael <<

Not a problem.
wink.gif

Hanco Bol

Nov 2, 2008
Hi Jim,

Seems like a big project you are doing and looking forward to the results.

I understand you are not based in The Netherlands? There are not so many people around here who are particularly interested in the White Star and Cunard Line. Most of them are focussed on the Holland America Line or Lloyd.
Or do you know some more people here with the same interest?

And Michael: no problem for me either.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>I understand you are not based in The Netherlands?

New York and Texas. My Netherlands friends are, predominantly, in Amsterdam, and are fans of the later deco and postwar era ships, although I do have one Titanic/Lusitania friend in Lelystad.

>Or do you know some more people here with the same interest?

There are several researchers in the Netherlands who focus on the prewar English ships.