White Star buff?

Dec 31, 2019
Indiana
Hello. I'm building a 1\400 scale Titanic model from academy and I hate the orange plastic the funnels are molded, does anyone have a good paint formula I can use for white star buff?

Thanks

Commodore Urban

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000

Reactions: 1 user
Dec 31, 2019
Indiana
Thank you this will be handy.

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
The photos of MV Britannic were taken after the merger with Cunard. There are indications that White Star Buff and some other colors were not the same as Titanic or early Olympic.

Reactions: 1 user

BobinMaine

Feb 27, 2020
I just noticed that in that video of M/V Britannic, the lifeboats appear (to me anyway) not to be white, but, rather, an "off white". I realize that the term "white" has many variants and this could be the result of the aforementioned merger with Cunard livery or they could just plain be dirty. Any thoughts?

Apr 26, 2020
Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020
The funnels were hollow and relatively light, and had large surfaces (inside and out). It is very likely that they had their own unique hydrodynamic behavior during their travelling down 12,500 feet, like the specific aerodynamic behavior that curved sheet metal would have while falling down through the air from great height. The funnels are unlikely to have travelled straight down; they may have swerved miles away from the debris field. After all, even the two heavy hull halves landed at some distance from each other, due to the different hydrodynamic properties and paths, caused by their different shapes.

When Bob Ballard found the wreck in 1985, 70 years of exposure to underwater outdoors climate had been eating away at the remains. Upon impact, the funnels may have collapsed or crumpled or split apart along their plate seams, so they may not have been recognizable as funnels anyway. Also, much of the paintwork and even the steel plating itself may have been deteriorated in those 70 years, making recognition harder still. Funnels are not the most rigid parts of ships, their sheet metal is relatively thin. Lots of suspension cables lent the Olympic class funnels extra rigidity and kept them in place, protecting them from ocean storms which would blow such long flimsy windcatchers over and rip them off the deck.