White Star Champagne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
From time to time, in various fora, the question arises whether Moet & Chandon's White Star champagne has anything to do with the White Star Line.

Most recently, this surfaced here last month in the "Today on Ebay" thread, in a discussion about a match holder. That discussion prompted me to email Moet & Chandon, and ask them directly. Today I received a reply from Hélí¨ne Wille, of Moet & Chandon's Documentation Dept. She advises that she knows of no connection between the two: We can find White Star on menus of steamship companies but I don't think there is [any] relation between White Star champagne and the White Star Line.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
White Star champagne has been around since about 1933 at least. An early label shows a carousing woman. More naughty than nautical!

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
That was the other part of my question to Moet, Dave. Their web site contains a timeline with a comment for 1933 about White Star's increasing popularity. In my email, I asked when the White Star name was first used, and Ms. Wille said it was 1865.

Status
Not open for further replies.