White Star/Cunard/Carnival

Jessie M.

Jan 13, 2019
Hello! So I've actually been doing a lot of research and such on this infamous Shipping company for a while now - no particular reason, just curious! And after a quite a bit of digging I found that info having to do with them after they merged with Cunard has been a bit scarce. I've heard rumors that they may have some kind of connection with Carnival (Eep! :confused:) but I'd like to stay and chat a while with you all, see if I can't learn a thing or two.

Jessie M.

Jan 13, 2019
Thank you for answering Mark! Yeah, I knew at some point Cunard and White Star reverted back to just Cunard, but I like to call em' that to keep from confusing folks. :p

On a further - and slightly more obvious - note I can only imagine that they had to merge all those times due to several accidents including the Titanic. Nobody wants to hitch a ride on a ship they think will sink after all!

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
I remember Stephen Payne the designer for Mary 2 gave a talk on a Mediterranean cruise on the Queen Elizabeth. He at the time always thought the QE2 would be the last liner ever to be built. He talk about the Titanic history and Carnival could see a market for such ship of the past. He said he was over the moon when they wanted a liner and not a cruise ship! If you dare referred as a cruise ship he soon put you in your place. Went great lengths tell the difference between the two and regarded a cruise ship very inferior to his liner! He mention H&W had the opportunity to build such a ship, but show a lack of enthusiasm as the same story for P&O too!
Talk about a Atlantic crossing when QE2, Queen Victoria and Queen Mary 2 all sailed together and when the weather got rough the Queen Victoria was no match for the other two.
I saw her at the build time in St Nazaire northern west coast of France. They just had very nasty accident when a gangway plank gave way resulting in 13 killed and over 30 injured.
I have to say I went there to see the U-boat pens built in the war years. They were quite some awesome bomb prove construction and had a French submarine you can have a guided tour inside, in the bomb prove lock!