White Star Line Baltic

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
My great grandparents came from England to the US in 1912 on the Baltic. I have no idea when in 1912 they came, but I'd like to be able to find passenger lists for the Baltic for 1912 to pinpoint the exact voyage. Does anyone know how I could go about finding these lists? Are they available online?

Dec 2, 2000
Tracy,
There are sites that are related to Us arriving ships and cover that period of time, I just simply can not for the llife of me remember the site name. But I know that someone here will know it or my brain cells will kick in later and I can post it for you.
Maureen.

Dec 2, 2000
I knew the old brain cells would kick in sooner or later.

The site is Ships Arriving US Harbors

This site contains ships arriving to US harbors from 1890-1930.

http://www.cimorelli.com/cfmscripts/selxlinc2.cfm

there is a drop down selection

go to "baltic"

There were about 80-90 listings before I got to the 1912 period. it appears that the Baltic left for New york on 4/6/1912 and on 5/04/1912. But you can check it yourself.

Enjoy.
Maureen.

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Tracy:
This is one site I'm aware of, but the Baltic references here are all in the 1800's. The istg stands for Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild.
Hopefully others out there have better contributions.
http://istg.rootsweb.com/

Dec 2, 2000
BTW, don;t know if they have passenger lists there but the dates are there. From there you could search records for the specific date.

MAureen.

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Great site, Mo. Now, how would you take that information to find the passenger list for any particular voyage that you found? This could open up all kinds of new avenues.

Dec 2, 2000
Dear Mike Herbold,
Great to see you here sir!

It is my understanding that many mariners museums like the one in Newport News Virgina for example has a large research facility with many of the passenger lists and stuff stored there and available to those who join that museum or pay for the research.

But I am sure that the port authorities or even the ship companies themselves have passenger lists and would still have them on file somewhere.

Some of the ships that sunk have copies of passengers on file with the country's national archives I would imagine with other related things.

But many of these resources require that you ask by the sailing date or arrival into port date. Once you had that information one could research a smaller area.

For say Tracy with the Baltic. I would search the information there. Say that one of the dates was a New York arrival date of 04/06/1912 and another one was 05/04/1912.

Then I would go to the New York Port Authority records, the Cunard/White Star records, or other record keeping place like a mariners museum close by and research by those two dates. It is a sure thing that the ship arrived then and cuts down drastically on the area of search required. Some places charge by the page or hour of research to do this for you. Or if you have to pay $25 to enter a place to do research it would be helpful to cut back on all the fluff.

But also in Tracy's case, she knows her relatives were coming here and trying to stay here, so I would look at the INS records for their specific names by those two dates, if those are the right ones. That way she could locate the exact date of entry.

Then I would search for the passenger lists. Cunard has a sight.

The main thing is that it provides an opening by giving you information that is sure, an arrival date or even all possible arrival dates for 1912. But you have a place to start to look. Instead of 366 days (leap year) you may only have a few dates to research.

When I research, I alwasy try to use elimination to narrow the scope of the search as much as possible. but that is just me.

Maureen.

G

geri poncia

I recently acquired an old trunk in very good condition with the remains of what appears to be a sticker that says 'Third Class Baggage INSPECTED RMS Baltic Port of Liverpool'. I'm not too familiar with the Baltic's history...Is it possible to research the history of my trunk? I know there must be some interesting stories there. And if I should want to part with it, is there any monetary value or is it a museum piece?