White Star Line Celtic

E

Edmund Turner

I have a postcard of this ship, and would be very grateful of any information about her, did she sink ?
Edmund

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
Ah, the Celtic!
No, she did sink. But she did run aground and was declared a total loss.
The ironic thing was that she was carrying 25 survivors of the Vestris sinking.

Gary Watson

Feb 17, 2008
Edmund,

I assume you are talking about the Celtic II. She was built by Harland & Wolff in 1901. The first of the Big Four and the last ordered by Thomas H. Ismay (J.Bruce's father) before his death. When completed, she was the largest liner yet built. July 26,1901 was the maiden voyage from Liverpool to New York. On Dec. 10,1928 entering Cobh (Queenstown) harbor during a storm she ran aground. She was sold to breakers: Peterson & Albeck. Sister ships: Cedric, Baltic II & Adriatic II.

Cheers,
Gary

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
There are some superb images and a few bits of ephermera relating to the Celtic II and her demise that can be seen in Cobh's museum, including a reconstruction of part one of the public rooms - from memory, was it the first class smoking room? Sen? Anybody? Can you save me from actually referring to my photos and sources? ;-)

Ing

ADeblois

Mar 18, 2012
Ah...the Celtic II...love the ship...the name has an awesome ring to it...the first in a new class of big ships, the Big Four.

Here she is, in all her glory.

celtic ship.jpg

celtic ship.jpg