White Star Line Silverware Fake?

Barnaby

Oct 4, 2021
Vietnam
Hello, new poster here. I made this account since I recently got some silverware that was on the Olympic (actually "Titanic Interest" which makes it more suspicious) from Ebay and I am wondering if its fake.
s-l1600.jpg

I read Purser Locker's awesome guide, and it seems to me that this company etched below doesn't seem to be a major supplier to White Star Line.
s-l1600.jpg

The company shown as L & W ⚓ EP is Lee and Wigfull according to here, and doesn't match any other company listed in Purser Locker's guide. Also to note in one of its advertisements it mentions using Britannica Metal, which is a no no according to the mentioned guide. The flag is also acid etched, which seems to be contradictory to what other people say. I want to know what the experts here think, if its a legitimate White Star Line silverware or some fake reproduction.

Barnaby

Danny Boy

Oct 8, 2021
Cornwall
Barnaby. Unfortunately this seller on Ebay keeps peddling these items out by the dozen. It seems to me he buys a lot of admittedly vintage/aged silver items and then just adds either an etched WSL flag or he's able to engrave one thus inflating the price. Either way none of the silver items bear any resemblance to any known pieces of WSL silver. I've reported him countless times to Ebay without them doing anything. His feedback is 100% but it seems his buyers believed they have bought an original piece so obviously give him good feedback. Buyer beware definitely applies to this seller!

Reactions: 1 user

Barnaby

Oct 4, 2021
Vietnam
Thanks for the reply. I had pretty much the same idea, but needed confirmation since my family thinks its real. Its a beautiful teapot so I'm still going to keep it to be honest. Definitely beware of any fake sellers and do your own research!