White Star Line Trivia Quiz

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
I would have love to have played, but all I could see were the multiple choice answers. I didn't see any questions at all.
sad.gif

Apr 11, 2001
Well we have a Contestor! According to Haas-Eaton it was Cedric not Celtic which rammed Pier 59 before Olympic's maiden voyage to New York. Maxtone- Graham says Celtic. Any info out there?
Correction too on E. J. being Captain of Baltic when the Republic disaster occured. Check your sources out there and report in! We HAVE to be correct- millions of fans could be tuning in!

Jan 3, 2001
Anderson's White Star; E&H Falling Star; and
Baarslag's SOS to the Rescue all show the Captain
of the Baltic was Cpt. Ransom

Rosanne MacIntyre

Apr 11, 2001
The answer page was corrected yesterday to clarifiy that the Baltic was one of Smith's commands, not that he was actually Master at the time of Republic's rescue. Also modified is the word "keel" to become- "hull building"- well... it was a time-consuming attempt to amuse. Am retiring as trivia maven.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
As Shelly wrote, according to Eaton & Haas, in Falling Star, it was Cedric that struck and damaged the temporary New York pier extensions while docking on 22 June 1911; Maxtone-Graham, in The Only Way to Cross, says that Celtic struck it the week before Olympic's maiden arrival, but does not give an exact date.

The New York Times is of little help; whatever this incident consisted of, there doesn't seem to be any report of it in the Times, unless I overlooked something. The only references to either ship in the Times for the entire month of June 1911 are the standard entries in the "Shipping and Mails" columns. Celtic was in New York 4 to 10 June, while Cedric was in town 18 to 24 June. Not an exact fit for either ship with either description of the incident, given that Olympic arrived at the pier 21 June.

More to follow, I hope.

MAB

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
>unless I overlooked something

Which I did. In the middle of the Times' 21 June 1911 story about Olympic's arrival is the following paragraph:

"One gentle jolt from such a floating mass, and the new section of the pier might be separated from the rest and float away down the river. It has already received one knock from the Celtic which shook the beams up somewhat but did not do any serious damage."

No date, but at least a ship's name. At the moment, Maxtone-Graham leads Eaton/Haas in the accuracy contest.

More to come.

MAB

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Not in June 1911. The Times wasn't big on photographs in those days; there were relatively few in the special sections on Sundays (except the magazine, of course) and virtually none in the main news sections.

I don't know that I've ever seen a picture in which I noticed the temporary extensions.

MAB

May 28, 2001
Shelly- loads of thanks for this - can I ask you knowledgable lot to check out my thread 'My Life With the Titanic' - I may need you help !

Hope I'm not abusing the board by asking this !

Susan

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
A long, long time ago, some of you may recall, Shelley regaled us with a trivia quiz. One of the questions had to do with a ship damaging the new New York pier built in 1911 to accommodate the Olympics. Discussion ensued as to whether the destructive vessel was Cedric or Celtic, and exactly what date in June 1911 this occurred on. Several conflicting sources were cited. I wrote then (on 10 July 2001, to be exact), "More to follow, I hope." Well, it sure took a while, but here's "more."

The New York Times, 23 May (yes, that's right, May) 1911

Cedric Damages Pier Extension

In warping into her North River berth yesterday morning the White Star liner Cedric ran into and damaged the temporary pier extension which is being constructed to accommodate the new steamship Olympic. The bow of the Cedric broke off and splintered several spiles. At least a dozen cross girders were also broken before the Cedric was eased off and slid alongside her berth.

-30-

Apr 11, 2001
Thanks Mark- shall we have another Trivia Quiz? Hey- we have had no Funnel Flicks or Six Degrees of Titanic for MONTHS- OH NO- do NOT encourage this woman!