Who are the surviving passengers on this photo

Hildo Thiel

Dec 3, 2000
Hi everyone,

Who knows who the people are on the photo on page 172 of "The Titanic Disaster - As reported in the British National Press April - July 1912.

They are third class passengers of Titanic. Could the boy standing on the front is Johan Cervin Svensson or is he a crew member of the Carpathia?

Regards,

Hildo

Hildo Thiel

Dec 3, 2000
Hi everyone,

I found another photo in the same book on page 166. On the photo are some of Titanic's first class passengers. Two women, am I Right?

Does anyone know who they are?

Regards,

Hildo

Hildo Thiel

Dec 3, 2000
Hi All,

On a German web-site I have found the following information. I have some doubt of this information is correct. The doubtfully information I have placed between ().

Mrs. F.M. Warren, was named as Anna Sofia (Bates) Atkinson. On the side her husband was placed with her in lifeboat 5, but that's wrong, he died.

Mrs. A.A. Dick, was named as Vera (Agnes) Gillespie.

Mrs. T. Davidson, was named as Orian (Scott) Hays.

Mrs. Washington Dodge, was named as Ruth Vidaver (Fontaine).

Mrs. Frauenthal, was named as Clara Heinsheimer (Roger).

Mrs. Stone, was named as Martha Evelyn (Harrington).

Mrs. Gibson, was named as Pauline C. Boeson (Brown).

Mrs. Doling, was named as Ada Julia (Elizabeth) Bone. And she and Miss Doling were placed in (lifeboat 9).

Mrs. W.H. Trout, was named as Jessie L. (Bruce).

Mrs. Becker, was named as Nellie (Eliza) Baumgardner.

Eliina Honkanen is placed in lifeboat 13. ? And was named as Mrs.

Miss Shine was placed in lifeboat 2?

Mrs. Bystrom was placed in lifeboat 10?

Mrs. Nasser was placed in lifeboat 12?

regards,

Hildo

Hildo Thiel

Dec 3, 2000
Hi,

I have some thinks left out in my first posting.

Miss Osman was placed in lifeboat 15?

Mr. Hartnell was places in lifeboat 8 and not in lifeboat 11.

Mr. Dore was placed in lifeboat 15?

Miss Landegren, was named as Mrs.

Mr. Ibrahim Shawah Youssef was placed in lifeboat 2, but we know that he died.

Mrs. Assaf was named as Miss Assaf.

Mr. Pelham is placed in lifeboat 8 and not in lifeboat 16.

Dr. Washington (Henry) Dodge.

Regards,

Hildo

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Hildo, I'm not a lifeboat person and rely totally on what others have determined so can't speak to that issue. However, the other information on the passengers appears to be correct other than the fact that Dr. Dodge was born Henry Washington Dodge instead of Washington Henry Dodge. Several of the women had been married to other husbands prior to Titanic.

Hildo Thiel

Dec 3, 2000
Dear Phillip,

Thanks for the information. So I can put the information with the exception of the boats as correct information.

The women who had been married to other husbands prior to Titanic, where they: Mrs. Dodge, Mrs. Frauenthal and Mrs. Gibson?

Regards,

Hildo

Hildo Thiel

Dec 3, 2000
Hi Phillip,

Thanks, Was Mrs. Stone married to a Harrington or is that her maiden name?

Regards,

Hildo

H

Hermann Söldner

Hi Hildo,

could you tell me which German website you
visited?

Hermann Söldner

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
And are you referring to a specific photo when you mention Washington Dodge? If so, which one? I would be very interested in this as he was in #13.

Best regards,
Cook

J

Jennifer Dodge Blanchard

Unless I am mistaken, Dr Dodge was first married to a Fontaine- a sugar baroness- they had a child, Henry(Harry) who was not on the ship. His second marriage was Ruth's first- they had one child, my grandfather, Washington Dodge

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Hi Jennifer--I believe that Washington Dodge, Sr., (born Henry Washington Dodge according to his Last Will and Testament), was first married to a Miss Lampson and had Harry. Ruth Vidaver had first been married to a Fontaine and had a daughter Vida, later Mrs. Payne. Your grandfather then was the only child of their marriage together.

I hope you can join us for dinner in March--have some interesting items I've accumulated that you might enjoy seeing and I'm sure you have some that would keep me "riveted." Where are you in N.C.?

My best,
Phillip

Nov 27, 2005
The 1900 California census - San Francisco County lists Washington H. Dodge with three children:
Royal L.(son) born in Oct 1885 in California, Gladys Dodge (daughter) born in July 1886 in California and Henry W. (son) born Nov 1891 in California. The mother is Alice L. born in 1868 in California. Washington H. is listed as being born in June 1859 in California.

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Washington Dodge married Mrs. Alice Lampson Shepherd in February of 1891--the children Royal L. and Gladys were not Dodge children (they were apparently Alice's by Mr. Shepherd)--although they were enumerated that way on the census. Henry W. was the only child born to Washington by Alice.

D

Daniel Rosenshine

Now that this thread has come to the top of the list again and I have my copy of "The Titanic Disaster: as reported in the British national press" I thought I might answer your question, Hildo, about the photo on pg. 166.

The lady in the front, being held under the arm is Mrs. Frederick Charles Douglas (Mrs. Baxter's daughter). The man holding her is her husband. The lady right behind her is Berthe Mayne, or on Titanic known as Mme. de Villiers.

I don't know where Mrs. Baxter is, she's either behind the two ladies, or already in the car.

Daniel.

Hildo Thiel

Dec 3, 2000
Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the information about the photo on page 166.

So Mrs. Douglas and Miss Mayne.

Regards,

Hildo

Hildo Thiel

Dec 3, 2000
Hi all,

I have a new question on some pictures.

From the book Titanic: triumph and tragedy.
Page 191: The picture on the bottom next to the photo of Miss Slayter, Mr. Beesley and Mrs. Kelly. Any idea who the woman on the picture can be? Or who any of the others are?

From the same page: The picture on the top of the page: On the right is Mrs. Dean and the sleeping young man is Mr. Cohen but who are the others? (page 130 top of the page of Titanic Voices)

Who knows who the people are on the photo on page 172 of "The Titanic Disaster - As reported in the British National Press April - July 1912

Who the three people are on page 227 top of the page of Titanic Voices? And on the same page on the bottom picture?

Who are the people on the picture on page 172 of A Night to remember?

And the last one for now, the people on page 157, left top of the page of Titanic an illustrated history?

Regards,

Hildo
happy.gif

Hildo Thiel

Dec 3, 2000
Hi All,

I have a new question: Some passengers traveled in groups on Titanic. On all the classes. First class passengers traveled most with family members and servants.
So travelled Miss Elizabeth Walton Allen, with her aunt, her cousin and the maid of her aunt. The Ryerson family, Mr. and Mrs. Ryerson, three of their children, the governess and a maid. The Carter family, Mr. and Mrs. Carter, their children, the maid, the manservant and a chauffeur. The Allisons, Mr. and Mrs. Allison, their two children and four servants.

In third class many people of the same village or towns travelled together. And often it were big groups of people. It seems interesting to know which people traveled as a group on Titanic. Most of the family groups I know. (The Goodwins, Sages and the other families) Did they have some not family members with them on their journey. Most interesting to know I found who of the Irish passengers travelled together in a group and which traveled alone.

Most of the big groups did not separate on board Titanic, during the disaster and died together. But some of the passengers were separated and some were rescued and others not. Like the family Asplund, Mother and two of the children were rescued and father and the other children were left behind on Titanic and died. And the Allison family, Mr. and Mrs. Allison and their daughter died, their chauffeur also died, but little Trevor, was rescued with Alice Cleaver and the other two female servants. And I think there are many of this stories.

It's interesting to know why so much people choose to stay behind together on Titanic. I know that some passengers stepped in lifeboat and then stepped out again, because other members of their group were not allowed in the lifeboats. For example Stella Sage and Mrs. Straus. Any others?

Why did the crew members did not more to put more women and children in the boats. Some women were dropped in the boats when they didn't wanted to go on their own. And why were left some children behind on deck when some other family members were in a lifeboat. The Beckers for example, two children were in lifeboat 11, mother and eldest daughter were still aboard. Mrs. Becker got in the boat safely. But Ruth was still aboard and left with a later boat. But by the Asplunds it went very different and the three young boys died, while mother, daughter and their little brother were saved. Another thing the three casualties among the female crewmembers. Why did they stay behind, while the other 20 left the ship with the lifeboats. (5, 6, 11, 12, 14 and 16)

And the amount of people in the lifeboats, some left Titanic for 65% empty. Some of the last boats left Titanic for 50% empty (D and 2)Why were there not more people in this boats. Boat number 4 had problems the whole night and I think they were relieved this boat left Titanic with 44 people in it. Among them the women, children and female servants of Colonel Astor, John Thayer, Arthur Ryerson, George Widener and William Carter. And of course the others who were lucky to be near this boat, like Mrs. Hamalainen and her son and maybe the family Hocking/Richards. I think Miss Evans Could be saved if one of the crew members dropped her in lifeboat D.

While 11, 13, 14, 15 and C left nearly full. So 1st officer Murdoch, 6th officer Moody and 5th officer Lowe did their best to save so many lives they could and not alone the lives of the women and children. For my are they real heroes. And I think Mr. Lowe is treated disgustful by the White Star Line after the disaster. He was the only one who returned to the place were Titanic sank. He commanded the only port site boat who was nearly full.

It's disgustful that only three members of the staff of the restaurant of Mr. Gatti survived. I have read that the were not allowed on deck. And that only a few managed to reached the boat deck. only the female members of the staff and the kitchen clerk left Titanic with a lifeboat. Why did they not allow the staff members of the restaurant on deck?

According my figures the first lifeboats who left Titanic were not full. Lifeboat 7 left with some 28 people in it, lifeboat 5 with some 35 people, lifeboat 3 with some 40 people in it, among them a lot of crew members, lifeboat 1 12 people, lifeboat 6, 26 people, lifeboat 8 26 people. Most of this boats had only first class passengers on board. I know that this boats were on the first class area of the ship, but passengers from other classes were they allowed to enter this area in the first hour of the disaster. And why did they not allow elderly men like Captain Crosby in the boats?

I think there is enough information in this message to discuss about!

Regards,

Hildo