Who collects White Star Line and other ship memorabilia

rene bergeron

Jun 16, 2001
I was just wondering who else collects oceanliner memorabilia? I collect White Star Line / Titanic memorabilia. My collection ranges from china, silver, crystal, postcards,souvenir and paper items. I would be interested to see who else collects these type of items. Thanks Rene Bergeron

B

Brian Hawley

I do Rene. If you want to see some photos I will send some.

Brian

P

Philippe Delaunoy

Hi rené,

I collect White Star and Red Star postcards.

Phil

P

Philippe Delaunoy

Hi René,

It's quite difficult to find WSL postcards here in Belgium. So I collect all what I can find.

Red Star Line postcards and pictures are more easy to find. I already have pictures of Vaderland, Kroonland, Zeeland, Lapland and Belgenland. I must say that the SS Belgenland is my favourite. She was the biggest belgian ship.

Best regards from Belgium,

Phil

Steve Santini

Nov 29, 2000
Hi Rene and all,
I collect, (and have for over 20 years), rare Titanic and Titanic related objects and artefacts. I lived for a time in the Canadian Maritimes and while there I tracked down and researched wood work from the Titanic, deck chairs from the ship, as well as other unique objects related to both the Titanic and also the body recovery ships Mackay Bennett, Minia, Montmagny, and Algerine. Today these objects, as well as other historically and culturally important Titanic related artifacts make up the collection of the private firm Titanic Concepts Inc. for whom I act as Historian and Curator. Currenly, the Titanic Concepts Inc. collection boasts the largest privately held Canadian collection of authentic Titanic and Titanic related artifacts and objects. Regards, Steve Santini.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
It's quite difficult to find WSL postcards here in Belgium

Hello, Phil---

Assuming one doesn't go overboard in bidding (as I've been known to do from time to time), a very good collection of White Star cards can be assembled via eBay. I now have a few hundred cards---most of White Star ships---most of which I've acquired through eBay. You often pay a bit more than retail sellers at a postcard show would charge, but you're also paying for the convenience of not trotting from show to show and having to look through hundreds of cards at a show to find the one or two that might interest you. And, knock wood, I've never had any significant problems with any eBay seller, even on the items I've bought that involved that have involved large prices.

Apr 11, 2001
I used to grab up anything with a funnel- which resulted in a whole lot of nothing much. Twenty-five years ago things were really cheap- so I 'm spoiled. Have nearly suffered heart failure and sticker shock lately at shows. After a few years of hoarding, it seems smarter to specialize and spend the money in a narrower area. I have some friends who: collect only Titanic cards, several who go after china and cutlery, specialize in one steamship line, compose a vignette of furnishings from a single ship, or collect only paper ephemera. As paper is the most affordable, I have lots of postcards and menus, stationery, programs, and luggage labels from White Star and Cunard and North German Lloyd-my three favorite lines. I also love ship toffee tins- still a good buy and plentiful. Paper items are fun to collect as they can be framed and displayed in low-light areas. I recommend acid-free mounting done by a pro- I have ruined a few things when I didn't know better. Have decided to narrow the quest to my favorite ship, the old Mauretania.

P

Philippe Delaunoy

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your kind advice. In which eBay section do I have to go ?

Phil

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Hello, Phil---

They show up in a number of different sections. I generally just do a general search for "White Star"; that brings up postcards, books, and other WSL related stuff. It also brings up a lot of other stuff, and I frequently change the exact search I use to eliminate as much extraneous stuff as I can. (For example, for a while, there was a series of Pokemon cards that had "White Star" in the description. By searching "White Star -Pokemon", I knocked them out.)

Good luck (except when you bid against me, of course).

;-)