1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice

Who Else Around Here Gets Excited In April?

Discussion in 'General Titanica' started by Addiction Is A Choice, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Who else around here plans on hitting the real-time sinking video at 11:40pm EST on April 14th? (I know there's some dispute about the actual time.) Who else around here has mapped out how far 2.5 miles is from their house? (All the better to gauge how far beneath the ocean Titanic now sits.)

It sure is nice having a place for "Titanic-Geeks" to hang out! God bless, Encyclopedia-Titanica!

Tags:
    Christa Peters likes this.
  2. Kyle Naber

Kyle Naber Member

Who isn’t excited?! :D

Addiction Is A Choice likes this.
  3. Rob Lawes

Rob Lawes Member

Oooh yeah, I get excited about 1500 deaths every year.

4. Kyle Naber

Kyle Naber Member

It’s just the time of the year for remembrance and interest in history ;D

5. Georges G.

Georges G. Member

I try to figure out once more how Mate Murdoch was feeling when he took his watch ! :eek:

6. Julian Atkins

Julian Atkins Member

It is an anniversary when we ought to remember the considerable number of people who died in awful circumstances that never ought to have happened, and could have been prevented.

Anyone who gets "excited" over the anniversary and gets turned on by watching some sort of re-enaction of the sinking and all those who died ought to seek medical help.

Instead, solemnly make a prayer for all those who died.

Cheers,

Julian

7. Rob Lawes

Rob Lawes Member

One like for the above post isn't enough.

53 children died.

Imagine that today. There are 27 children in my sons class at school. That's two whole classes wiped out in 3 hours.

8. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

I would say that personally, I would get excited for April, for the main reason that we get the chance as Historians to pay respect to those who died and experienced such a traumatic event along with the secondary aim of stamping out the myths that insult's a person's memory or wrongly labels them.

On a bonus note, Titanic Honor and Glory show more details of the ship's interior and exterior giving you an appreciation for the amount of time, effort and love originally put into her by the army of workers at Harland & Wolff in Belfast and around the UK (since H&W also had departments and craftsmen in Southampton and the Tyne).

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  9. Kyle Naber

Kyle Naber Member

Agreed. The anniversary sparks inspiration for new projects and new discussion. It’s exciting to have the whole world thinking about Titanic for a weekend.

10. Aaron_2016

Aaron_2016 Member

I think the word "excited" should be taken in the same reference as it was in 1912. i.e. Behaving in an emotional and very enthusiastic state of mind. e.g.

Mr. Buckley - "There was a great crowd of people. They were all terribly excited. They were all going for the decks as quick as they could........There was one steerage passenger there, and he was getting up the steps, and just as he was going in a little gate a fellow came along and chucked him down; threw him down into the steerage place. This fellow got excited, and he ran after him, and he could not find him. He got up over the little gate. He did not find him........The girls were very excited, and they were crying; and all the boys were trying to console them and saying that it was nothing serious."

Major Peuchen - "She was in rather an excited state" - describing a fellow passenger....."There was a good deal of excitement at the time, but I imagine there were three, one following the other very quickly." - describing the explosions that were heard as the ship went down.

Senator Burton - "Did the men seem to be excited, as if they feared the ship would sink?"

Captain Rostron - "I did not want to cause any unnecessary excitement."

Captain Lord - "There was great excitement then" - describing the moment when they realized the Titanic had sunk.

Mr. Lowe - "Mr. Ismay was over-anxious and he was getting a trifle excited."

11. And those who study America's role in WWII get "excited" every December 7th!

Of course I mourn the souls lost on Titanic! The notion that I am "turned on" by the loss of life offends me to the core.

It's "Titanic Week!" And I will not apologize for reflecting on and being "excited" about events that were going on at this very moment in 1912!

Christa Peters and Kyle Naber like this.
  12. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

After some reflection and thinking following some of the answers on this thread, I have realised an unforeseen side-effect of the Titanic's reprisal in popular culture is that we (people in genreal) have possibly become de-sentivised to what was a horrific event and it's now treated like a joke or iconic fantasy tale (as many of the merchandise and films / parodies around show).

While too much emphasis might be put on the ship itself, What we should remember is that when it's all stripped back; Without people, the Titanic would be nothing but metal and wood.

On a personal note, today I visited the V&A Museum in London where an exhibition on Ocean Liners (including the Olympic and Titanic) was held which included the infamous A-Deck Lounge Wall Panel sitting on a table as water was projected around it from above.

While the panel itself is an important artefact, We should also remember It was the workers and designers of Harland and Wolff who built Titanic into existence from nothing and imprinted her with luxury (without them, that panel mentioned above would not exist). It was the crew that brought her to life and made her run and it was the passengers who origins spanned literally every country in the world and their backstories and actions that make Titanic still remembered today.

While this April and in future, we will probably see more films, animations and docudramas on the Titanic, We should never forget the extras and NPC's running around and the dots in photos all represent individual people who experienced a terrible event.

May the Passengers and Crew of the Titanic Rest In Peace.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Rancor, Rob Lawes, Ellana and 3 others like this.
  13. Alex Kiehl

Alex Kiehl Member

I look forward to commemorating the anniversary each year because I'm a huge Titanic fan. But I always say prayers for the 2,208 people on board every April 10th, 14th, 15th, and 30th.

14. Alex Kiehl

Alex Kiehl Member

Well, another anniversary has come and gone. Now to start looking ahead to 107.

15. I was in Belfast for the 100th. Cant believe that was already 6 years ago.

16. Dawid

Dawid Member

Another anniversary i'm thinking what would I do while being one of the passengers. Who have the same? And what if You had Your present knowledge about disaster?

17. robert warren

robert warren Member

I think the word" excited" has a different meaning for some than others concerning this particular subject. I think I can speak on behalf of almost everyone that the flame of interest burns its brightest during April than the rest of the year. I personally become more active in reading, watching and soaking up more knowledge during this time.Not that I don't do so all year long. I'll play my period Titanic music, watch movies and set up my own collection of memorabilia in the living room, as well as reread a book or two I have not done in a while.I also pay tribute to anniversaries involving Titanic culture. This year is the 60th anniversary of ANTR, the 65th of Titanic,the 75th of the German film,and the 15th of Ghosts Of The Abyss.Lest we not forget , the feelings of loss, sorrow and sadness of the lives lost are also magnified in April.Any tragedy involving loss of life becomes more so during the actual day(s) they happened.I usually spend the 15th in a heavy ,reflective,quiet daze and have done so since I was a kid.This is the kind of "excitement" I feel ,and rest assured it's not the same as going to Disneyworld!

18. Kyle Naber

Kyle Naber Member

19. Dawid

Dawid Member

That's right.