Who made the deck chairs

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill Webb

Anybody know the name of the company (and whether it still exists) that made the deck chairs?

B

Bill Webb

87679.gif

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
I have a vendor in Pakistan who makes them for considerably less than the $1,700 + pricetag I've seen them for at museum gift shops. He has the pattern and photographs of the actual deck chairs in order to make them accurately.

Kyrila

Steve Santini

Nov 22, 2000
Hello,

There were several variations of the basic style of deck chair that was used on Titanic.

From my research, I have concluded that a number of the deck chairs aboard Titanic were previously used.

They were provided by White Star Line ships stores or were in fact "lifted" from other IMM ships laid up during the coal strike.

This would certainly explain the wear to some and the slightly differing styles.

From the Titanic deck chairs I personally have been able to study up close and "hands on", it is obvious they were made by hand by different firms from a basic design plan probably furnished by WSL.

Sadly, the firms which made them circa 1912 are not known and certainly no longer in buisness.

Hope this helps, Steve Santini

B

Bill Webb

Steve,

Thank you for the information. I was hopeful that one of the same companies might have still been in business like the company that made the china dinnerware for the ship. Oh well. I guess I will have to settle for a nice reproduction such as those at http://titanic.125west.com/

Apr 12, 2005
Please forgive me for blathering on about a silly chair, but my hope is that someone might see just one of my pleas for help & respond.

I have an old deck chair (maybe it's a deck chair) that resembles the cane-backed chair (not the wooden-slatted one). Just last night I found a picture of one recovered from the Mackay-Bennett & my husband & I sat in shock, looking at the computer screen. My chair so closely resembles that chair that we had goosebumps - I felt physically ill for a while.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping that your regulars check the board from time to time for new posts.

I would so appreciate some help from people "in the know", because I know nothing about my chair, other than I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.