Who might the person be

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
I've had my E.E. O'Donnell book for a couple of years now, and I've been doing some researching to perhaps ID the person in the background of Fr. Browne's photo of his stateroom. The guy is seen standing in the entrance alcove, shown in the reflection of the mirror. He is wearing a hat and in the photo his left profile can be observed.
I've had no luck putting a name to the face. Anyone else want to try?

Regards,
Dan

B

Ben Thomas Sebastian Holme

That's amazing. I have never noticed that before.
It could be one of the O'dells with whom he was travelling.
He appears elderly and stiff built. Perhaps it was one of the older A-deck passengers.
It could even be a crew member i.e a bedroom steward.
I have recently created another discussion about identifying passengers in Fr. Browne's photos entitled "Fr. Browne's elderly couple" or something to that effect. He is bearded and she is younger than him. They are standing outside the Verandah Cafe on A-deck. Any ideas?

Hope my theories help

Regards
Ben

D

Daniel Rosenshine

It seems that everyone believes that Fr. Browne was travelling with the Odells. However, this is not true. They did not know each other before the voyage. Reading the O'Donnell book makes it clear, especially from the first letter written to Browne from one of the May brothers. No specific address is given and their correspondence suggests they had never spoken to each other before the voyage.

I don't know when the cabin photo was taken. It was not included in Browne's album. Browne was accompanied by a friend, who came to see him off in Southampton. The two had difficulties locating Browne's cabin but found it eventually before Browne's friend disembarked when the whistle brew all friends ashore.

Another thing, it may be one of the Odells inspecting Browne's apartments. Browne had inspected their cabins (I believe), why not come up and have a look at where Browne was staying.

Dan C. I don't have my copy of O'Donnell's book, but see if the head in any way matches one of the May brothers.

Daniel.

PS. The head does not seem to look like it belongs to one of the crew members. When I first saw it, I thought it was Browne's friend who came to see him off.

B

Ben Thomas Sebastian Holme

Daniel,
I agree now it could not be a crew member unless it was the captain which is unlikely. Looking at the Odell photo, none of them look like the man in the mirror.
It may well have been his friend who saw him off

Ben

Senan Molony

Jun 28, 1998
Dublin
I'd say it's Fr Browne himself. He could look fairly skeletal. Dodgy mirror reflection, you know yourself... who else is gonna be captured in the mirror when he's photogaphing his room? Don't forget he's using a box brownie, you don't have to hold that to your eye, just lean back a little, hoping to be out of frame.

BTW, there's a crewman visible in his picture of the starboard side, taken at sea.

Ben, I believe your "bearded man" to be Dr Arthur Jackson Brewe, travelling with a social set from Philadelphia. I have a pic of Brewe and it is near identical. I showed the two pix to Phil Gowan when he was over, and he reckoned it was a such a close comparison we could proceed to make an "arrest."

Rgds,

Senan

D

Daniel Rosenshine

Wow Senan, that's great. Any clue on who his lovely lady is? I don't think it's Mrs. J.J. Brown or Mrs. Bucknell (the lady looks too young to be her).

As for 'the mirror guy' I don't think it's Browne. The camera is in the room (which is why so little of it fits on the photo) and the man seems preoccupied with the passage way or the bathroom facilities and isn't even looking anywhere into the room. If Browne was behind the camera he would not be in the doorway. I once tried to figure out where the camera was placed and I think if Browne was in the doorway, he would not have reached the camera.

I don't have my copy with me, so I'm going by memory here.

Daniel.

Chris Dohany

Dec 12, 1999
I'm wondering if the man in the mirror is Browne's brother, William, who is noted in the O'Donnell book as coming aboard in Queenstown. O'Donnell mentions his belief that William is possibly the man in Browne's photo of Olympic's swimming bath. Comparing the figure in the latter with the man in the mirror, I think there's a general likeness.

Reactions: 1 user

Senan Molony

Jun 28, 1998
Dublin
Actually, Chris, that is a very good point.
There is a new Fr Browne book out on "Ships and Shipping" but no new clues. I have a book on his life with lots of pics and will have a look.
William would have my vote at this stage.