Who occupied the cabins adjacent to C79 and C81

Feb 14, 2011
The recovered "Big Piece" of the Titanic once was part of first class C deck cabins C-79 and C-81;plus part of the first class galley on D deck.

Cabins C-79 and C-81 were unnocupied during the voyage. Do we know who occupied the cabins adjacent to these two vacant ones?

Tarn Stephanos

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Hi Tarn,

The cabin immediately aft (adjacent to C-81) was cabin C-83 occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Henry B. Harris. C-77 (adjacent to C-79) was, as far as anyone is aware, unoccpied.

Hope this helps,

Ben

Dec 7, 2000
C77 was occupied by the Countess of Rothes and her cousin-in-law Gladys Cherry. There is no known evidence that anyone occupied C79 or C81, but that doesn't mean that no one did. If anyone did occupy either or both of those cabins, we just don't know today.

Daniel.

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Hi Daniel,

I know that the Countess stated in her New York Herald account that she occupied "No. 77" but I believe it has been since established that she was in error on this point, and that they were in fact berthed in C-37 as indicated by the Cave List. She may have obtained an upgrade, although I'm of the opinion that she simply misread the number.

IMO, it is entirely possible that C-79/81 were occupied. In the past I have speculated that the Meyers may have occpuied one of the cabins based on the high price they paid for their accomodation.

Ben

Dec 7, 2000
Ben,

The Countess was once booked into C37, but the women were certainly in C77 by the time the Titanic hit an iceberg. I have not seen it, but Craig Stringer has a book (I think it's a biography) about the Countess by her grandson (I think). In it, he also places her in C77. I have never seen a decent primary source that places her in C77, but accounts and letters do suggest that she was in a cabin like C77.

One point I will mention. Cherry and Rothes could not find their lifebelts. In cabins like C37, these were kept on top of the wardrobe. Their steward found their belts under their beds. Cabin C77 was decorated in a period style, and the wardrobe-encompassing-mirror-door facility in this room was too high to place lifebelts on, and as C77 did not have a wardrobe room (another place where lifebelts were kept) they were evidently placed under the beds.

As we know, the Countess' parents crossed with her as far as Cherbourg. They may have helped her obtain better accommodation. The maid was berthed on E deck.

I sometimes speculate that the "Thornes" were in one of the big piece cabins, because both Harris and Futrelle knew the couple, and in 1913 the three ladies had a memorial service and wreaths for their husbands ... I just get the feeling that the three were berthed nearby (we already know that Harris and Futrelle had cabins close by).

Regards,

Daniel.

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Daniel,

Thanks for the info concerning the locations of lifebelts and wardrobes. I'm afraid I'm an interior dummy so that certianly clarifies things a little. It was for the reason you cited - lack of primary sources - that made C-37 a safer bet, coupled with the fact that I know of no correspondance in which the alleged "move" is mentioned. However, given the number of unoccupied suites in that immediate locality, it seems entirely possible that she indeed obtained an upgrade.

Still undecided about this one!

I agree that the "Thornes" are equally likely candidates for C-79 or 81 (or both). I suggested Meyer for the same reason--friendship with Harris etc. Also, if you look at Etches' testimony, it would appear that an unidentified couple occupied one of the B-deck suites between the Spencer and Baxter suites and who were observed emerging from the cabin with lifebelts in hands upon learning of the accident. Meyers or Thornes perhaps?

All the best,

Ben

E

EG Lefebvre

Hi!
I would like to know which was the number of following the bridge B in question, (between that of Spencer and Baxter) If the couple remained unknown auprés in people of this bridge, Ca was surment to be Thornes, and not Meyers (corigé moi?)

E. G Lefebvre

Apr 26, 2005
On ne sait pas si il y avait vraiment un autre couple qui occupait une cabine au devant de celle du couple Spencer (B78), car le steward Samuel Etches demeure extrèmement vague sur le sujet. Il décrit seulement un homme et une femme à l'extérieur de la porte de leur cabine, un gilet de sauvetage à la main. Pour tout ce que nous savons, il voulait peut-être parler de Quigg et de Suzette Baxter (de Montréal) qui étaient frère et soeur et qui voyageaient en compagnie de leur mère. Ils occupaient les cabines B58 et B60. Il est très probable que ce sont ces deux jeunes gens que le steward Etches a aperçus dans le corridor du pont B.

J'espère que ça répond un peu à votre question!

PS. Si il y avait vraiment un couple qui occupait une cabine entre celle des Spencer et celle des Baxter, il s'agissait probablement soit de M. et Mme. Meyer, de New York, ou de George Rosenshine et Gertrude Thorne.... On ne le saura peut-être jamais.....

Apr 26, 2005
EG,

J'ai lu le message que tu m'a envoyé ce matin, mais je l'ai accidentellement perdu. Je n'ai donc plus ton adresse courriel, et c'est pourquoi je te réponds ici, dans le forum. Pour répondre à ta question, je serais heureux de répondre à tes interrogations sur le Titanic. Envoie moi toutes tes questions personnellement à [email protected] et je vais m'efforcer d'y répondre au meilleur de mes connaissances.

Charles

J

jenny Anderson

The cabin C79 was decorated in empire, version white paint or wallpaper?

J

jenny Anderson

exists any photo the cabin C79 and C81?

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally a separate thread, has been moved to this pre-existing thread addressing the same cabins. MAB]