Who Owns Titanic

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Hi Bob

Don't tell me you take that newspaper as well. Doom and gloom my family call it. If you don't feel depressed before you read it, you do afterwards.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Well, if you laddies and lassies want to yuk it up over some really dumb laws, check out http://www.dumblaws.com/

There are some real doozies there. Now perhaps I could indulge everyone to get back on topic. (Hint hint.)
wink.gif

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
>>Now perhaps I could indulge everyone to get back on topic. (Hint hint.)<<

It's Monica's fault, Michael. She's become bit of a rebel now that she's thrown in her Moderators hat.

Mar 3, 2001
Long time no post for me but I still lurk to see what you boys and girls have to say! If you ask me - Titanic belongs to the Atlantic and whatever lives nearly 3 miles below!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>If you ask me - Titanic belongs to the Atlantic and whatever lives nearly 3 miles below!<<

As a practical matter, you have a point. However, the law says otherwise. I won't argue as to whether or not it makes any sense. It's just there.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>So far as the law goes I'm suprised they don't make the fishies pay rent!<<

Kind of hard to make territory pay rent, but there are other ways to get that pound of flesh. A lot of nations now claim 200 mile economic exclusion zones to protect what they see as "their" fisheries, and some have both the muscle and the will to make it stick.

P

patrick toms

t5he owner of the titanic is douglas woolley
pat toms shannon ulster titanic society

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Actually his real name is Douglas Faulkner-Woolley.
I won't comment on the legal aspect of his claim, but he also claims to own the wreck of the Queen Elizabeth which he hopes to raise and restore one day.

*cough*

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
I also fail to see how, by buying the last White Star share, years after the company had dissolved, that makes him the owner of the company's assets? Simon Mills of the Britannic had better watch out, as will the Nomadic Preservation Society! Faulkner-Wally will be claiming those next!!

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
I thought that Douglas Woolley's claim to the wreck of the Titanic was based upon the fact that, for many years, he was the only registered claimant - the underwriters having expressed no further interest in the vessel.

P

patrick toms

michael standart,questions the ownership of douglas woolley and his claims to ownership of titanic,if he wants to know, why does he not ask douglas woolley,not me,don.t shoot the messenger.
patrick toms president shannon ulster titanic society

Matthew Farr

Apr 14, 2010
Lansing, Michigan, United States
Nobody owns Titanic! Titanic has gone beyond just a physical shipwreck. Time and nature will take that eventually but the legend and allure of the ship will live on in people like us who continue to research and tell her story. This is what Titanic is and no one can own that.

Mar 7, 2006
This thread is discussing Titanic the ‘wreck’ and therefore it has to have an owner, but proving who owns all the bits and so on is a whole new ball game.

The normal proof of ownership of anything; is a bill of sale or a contract. When the Titanic was wrecked, once the claims on the insurance were enacted, the ownership of all the separate bits insured, hull, cargo and so on, passed to the insurers, or for an uninsured items, stayed with the original owner.

But there wasn't one insurer, they were numerous, and they had also underwritten their liabilities as well.

If a rumour was started that there a tons of gold in the hold, then I suspect that the insurance companies would be very keen to dust down their files, and the ownership question would be soon resolved.

Solving this is really a book in the making — but I suspect that too much time has passed to investigate in any great detail the insurance aspect of the Titanic.

There are also all the other items which were not covered by insurance.

As an example - say my Great Grandfather was on the Titanic, he was not saved, and his gold watch was recovered from the wreck. In his Will he mentioned the watch and bequeathed it to my Grandfather, subsequently he left everything to my Father, then on to me.

My Great Grandfather did not have insurance, so no claims were made, so ownership stays with him and his descendents, namely ME.

If on recovery, the watch comes straight back to UK soil; it has to be handed to The Receiver of Wrecks for judgement on the ownership.

At that point I can present all my evidence, and a judgement would be made.

The items recovered so far from the Titanic, were never landed in the UK, so the Receiver of Wrecks has never been placed in a position to judge who is the rightful owner.

Once an item has been adjudicated for — The Country it was first landed in, equivalent of our The Receiver of Wrecks, and then if the item subsequently enters the UK, then is a small matter of some paper work — basically a declaration, and therefore The Receiver of Wrecks does not have to get involved as it assumes that all the duties it performs in the UK have been undertaken properly in the country it was landed, and no longer takes any view on the item.

Anyone can present documents (evidence) to The Receiver of Wrecks to support their claim of ownership for any item recovered. You don’t need a lawyer, unless you dispute there findings. What happens / happened in the US I have no knowledge of, but in the UK every time an item is landed it has to have its ownership determined by The Receiver of Wrecks; what happened last time is irrelevant.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>if he wants to know, why does he not ask douglas woolley,not me,<<

Because you made the assertion, not me. If you're going to make a claim like that, it's not unreasonable to expect that you have and can produce the legally supportable and enforcable evidence to prove it.

You may have the first, you didn't do the second.