Who Sailed on the Titanic

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
I pre-ordered "Who Sailed on the Titanic?" by Debbie Beavis from Amazon awhile back, and recently saw Debbie's name on another thread.
Debbie: is there a release date yet?

debbie beavis

Jun 10, 2006
Hello Mike

Regarding my book 'Who Sailed on Titanic?' (note that Amazon didn't get the title quite right)

The book will be published in the UK on 28 March priced 19.99. It will be available in the US from June through Casemate Publishers and Book Distributors LLC, 2114 Darby Road,2nd Floor, Havertown, PA19083. (Tel +1 610 853 9131)I expect it to be in the shops in Australia by mid May. I've got details of other overseas outlets if anyone is interested. I have a sales table at the Southampton convention in April, and if anyone on this list would like to reserve a copy please could they email me privately and I'll make sure I set one aside. All that apart, if anyone here is going to be in Southampton that weekend, I really hope they will come and say hi. I am indepted to so many generous people on this excellent message board - without help I might never have untangled some of the names on my own lists and it would be good to thank people in person.

Best wishes

Debbie Beavis

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Debbie:
I received your great new book "Who Sailed On Titanic" today, and must say, it is a very impressive offering. I will go out on a limb and say that it will become the "Bible of Titanic Passenger Lists." It is not only a good read, but it is well-indexed, well-documented, and extremely well organized. You have created one of the best Titanic reference books of all time. Congratulations.

debbie beavis

Jun 10, 2006
Hello Mike
Thank you very much indeed for your kind words. I am glad you are enjoying 'the read.' The problem with that kind of research is knowing when to stop - I could have continued, but wanted it to be out in time for the 90th anniversary. I am continuing my research privately into some of the passengers about whom, in my view, there is considerable doubt (Marius Peterson/en and William Gillespie in particular) so may need to update it when it goes into a reprint (which it looks like doing shortly).

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I just received my copy of "Who Sailed On Titanic" in the post about an hour ago. Even skimming through it, I can tell it's an impressive and exhaustively comprehensive work and a "must have" for the library of any serious student/historian of the Titanic. Damned good job Debbie!

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Mar 28, 2002
I received my copy on my 30th birthday exactly a month ago! I ordered it from Waterstones and now I notice it's on the shelf there too. Good book, need to sit down and have a proper look at it though.

Dec 7, 2000
Debbie,

I'm from Australia and regularly visit the book shops. I've never seen your book anywhere. Do you know who might be selling it?

Daniel.

Dec 8, 2000
Sorry Debbie - please avert your eyes from what comes next...

(Psst, Daniel - pop over to whsmith.co.uk's summer sale where they've got 30% off Debbie's book. Incidentally, the 30% off basically equates with free postage and handling to Oz. Nice, eh - leastways I thought so.)

Dec 8, 2000
Hey, no worries Daniel - I get the e-newsletters of more bookshops than I want to think about just for offers like that. The only shame was that I couldn't 'justify picking a few other books at the same time. Oh well.

I found the book in an Oz catalogue today, and it was approx $73, and then I still would've had to pay postage. Ouch! My copy from WH Smith arrived a couple of days and it's a delight to finally have, all the sweeter for the price.

Hope you get yours soon and get a lot out of it.

Cheers,

Aug 29, 2002
HI DEBBIE - I AM EXCITED TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR BOOK. ALSO WONDERING WHAT IS "DOUBTFUL" ABOUT WILLIAM GILLESPIE. HAVE HARDLY ANY FACTS EXCEPT WHAT MOTHER TOLD ME..HE WAS FATHER'S FAVORITE BROTHER. HE "WENT DOWN WITH THE TITANIC" AND HAD CHANGED HIS TICKET TO SAIL ON HER "MAIDEN VOYAGE." WHO IS VERA GILLESPIE?? EMAIL cwilgo@msn.com PHONE/FAX 916-564-5258. i would love to hear from you.

Aug 29, 2002
Just heard from Vera Gillespie after an email message from Mike Herbold. Thanks again, Mike. She and her husband had authored a book about Titanic - but there is no connection to William Henry Gillespie. Hope to hear from you, Debbie,
since you appear to know something about him and perhaps his family in Ireland (or elsewhere). My thanks to Vera and John for replying to my inquiry
and to Iain Stuart Yardley for his help so far.

Mar 28, 2002
Afternoon Carolyn,

You may want to try e-mailing Debbie direct - I notice from her profile that she hasn't logged onto this site since July 22nd so chances are she doesn't know you need her help.

Cheers,

Boz

Aug 29, 2002
Hi Boz - Well, I'm finding out an amazing thing.. I'm told Debbie is recovering from an operation at this time - also that her "considerable doubts" about my uncle indicate she believes his ticket was refunded and he didn't sail after all. Of course I hope this is true and that he lived a happy life somewhere .. but how come his brother thought he went down with the ship? It's all part of the enigma surrounding this part of my family. Most of them are dead by now but I'm still hoping to hear from grandchildren, etc. who might be able to tell me at least where they came from in Ireland or Britain or wherever. My mother's family sailed from Scotland to Boston on a ship called the Numidian(sp)in 1910..she was 19 at the time.. always loved ships and the sea..she died at age 100. ET has been a delightful experience for me and will continue the research now you know longevity runs in my family!! Thanks again. Cheers, Carolyn

Mar 28, 2002
Morning Carolyn,

This has all the ingredients for a mystery novel. It would be very interesting to discover what Gillespie did if he didn't board the Titanic.

Just tried a quick searched of "Numidian". There was a ship called Numidian but it keeps throwing up passenger lists for 1895 so I'm not sure if it's the right one. If you start a new thread in "Ships and Other Shipwrecks" there is bound to be someone who knows all about this ship.

Good luck in your hunting!

Cheers,

Boz

Aug 29, 2002
Hi Boz - I've tried researching the Numidian but it's a tedious task... have had a bit of help.. so far nothing comes up with the names of my grandparents or their children. Surname is Russell, first names Henry & Janet(or Jennie) and they sailed from Scotland (I think)-- destination Boston. I though the year was 1910 but maybe a year or so later or earlier. Regards, Carolyn

debbie beavis

Jun 10, 2006
I am here! No, not recovering from an operation but yes, I've been ill and unable to reply earlier. Forgive me please if I disappear again. I did try to answer before but the message seems to have disappeared into cyberspace.

Gillespie - I can't add anything else. The 'proof' is in the documents.

I must explain - I am not in the business of deciding what is right and what is wrong. All I am doing is to demonstrate what the original documents tell us. Those documents tell us, incontravertibly, that Gillespie received a refund and that means he didn't sail. I don't have some magical inside knowledge. All I can do is look at what the records tell me. I don't know if he did receive a refund, I only know that the documents say that he did. If he didn't, why do they say that he did? Where is his body?

Please - I am only asking you to question the information handed down.

Debbie Beavis

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Debbie, great to have yoiu back with us again, and I hope you can hang around this time. I thorougly enjoyed reading your book. It certainly gave me some insights on the records keeing of the time and the difficulties in trying to cobble together an accurate passenger list in the wake of the sinking.

I can only barely imagine what it must have been like to wade through the mass of documents and put together anything that was reasonably accurate.

Aug 29, 2002
Debbie, so glad to hear from you. hope you've had a full recovery. Most of the info I've found has come from Ireland. Phil Gowan sent me William Gillespie's birth certificate. Senan Moloy was able to furnish info re: obituary, memorial relief fund, tablet in cemetary next to parents'grave in Abbeyleix. William was employed by factory that supplied carpets for Titanic..he was on business trip to Vancouver. Wasn't he on 2 lists-- Irish & British? Isn't it possible he may have paid for a companion (girlfriend?)who decided not to sail; hence the refund??? At any rate, I know so little about my father's family that I may take a trip over there. Sounds like a lovely place. I've been to Britain but never got to Ireland and always wanted to visit Abbey Lane Theatre. Also, I'll try to get a copy of your book. Again, thanks. All the best, Carolyn in Sacramento.