Who was allowed at the inquriy?

Jan 7, 2013
Saxony, Germany
Hello everyone!

I just started wondering: Who was allowed to be present at the inquiry? Were they public? Were only the reporters and the witnesses allowed to be present? I'm a bit confused about that.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Which one? At the British Wreck Commisioner's Court there was full representation for all parties involved, with the Press in attendance and a public gallery, though obviously space for the latter was limited. The American Inquiry was conducted by a Senate sub-committee, so that might have been held at least partly behind closed doors. Perhaps an American member can enlighten us about how the US Government conducts its inquiries?

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
As far as I know public was also allowed during the US Inquiry.
However there were some testimony taken separately from the public like the testimony of Barrett (who gave his testimony on board Olympic), Daniel Buckley (who was asked by Senator Smith himself) and a few others which were asked by one of the Senators or gave an affidavit.

Jan 7, 2013
Saxony, Germany
Well, I meant both of them, should have mentioned that above.
Thank you both. Well, I'm not sure about that. Some sources say public was allowed, some say only the reporters and witnesses.
Although it would seem a bit... well, impious to allow anyone to listen to the testimonies. I'm sure there was a big interest in the matter.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Presumably now you're talking about the Senate Inquiry. The British Inquiry was conducted in public, no doubt about that. It was preceded by questions in Parliament from Members who wanted reassurance that no part of the proceedings would be conducted 'behind closed doors'.