Who was that Lady I saw you with last night

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Another Beesley question - Lawrence writes:

"...one lady affirms that the Captain told her the Titanic could not sink for two or three days; no doubt this was immediately after the collision."

While my first choice would be to identify this lady, does anyone have any accounts along these lines? Any information, any account would be most welcome.

Best wishes,
Cook

Dave Hudson

Apr 25, 2001
I have never heard anything to that effect being said by Capt. Smith. My guess is that the lady heard it from a steward and took it to mean that he heard it from a higher source (i.e., the captain). Chances are, she was in 2nd Class, meaning that she almost certainly never saw the captain, and thus wouldn't recognize him. Many survivors who didn't know what he looked like often heard things from officers and naturally thought that it was him. After all, people sound more credible if they say "I heard it from the captain" instead of "I heard it from some man in an officer's uniform."

David

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Hi David. You're probably right about the lady being in Second Class, or perhaps third. However, I do have some accounts from First Class passengers in Beesley's book, those he interviewed on the Carpathia.

I have found one newspaper item where a lady recounted that Capt. Smith had said this but it was before the voyage.

Anyway, I'm just looking for ANY account along these lines, man or woman, in whichever class. This may be one of those we never connect.

Thanks for your help, O M
Stay safe,
Cook

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Pat!

> I have found one newspaper item >where a lady recounted that Capt. Smith had said >this but it was before the
> voyage.

Is this one of the accounts that I've presented on my website, or have you uncovered a new account re: Captain Smith's overconfidence?

All my best,

George

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
George wrote: > Is this one of the accounts that I've presented on my website, or have you uncovered a new account re: Captain Smith's overconfidence? <

As a matter of fact, this is one you have on your site - the dinner with Mr. and Mrs. Willie. Only difference being I found this one in the Denver Post. Other than that, it's verbatim.

Best regards, as always,
Cook

Dec 13, 1999
Re the heading of this thread - should it not read "Was that Behe I saw you with last night Mr Cook?" just a thought from a simple Englishman.

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
My loquacious grandson wrote:

> just a thought from a simple Englishman. <

You're about as simple as my income tax files!

And the answer to your question would be:

I prefer my women without moustaches. Not saying they're ruled out altogether, just my preference. And younger. But then, who isn't?

Best regards,
Cook

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Now, I can't go down that road! I make an exception in George's case and Gowan will be knocking at my door!

Ah, this beauty is a curse. I can say that because of the mulititude of people who, when they first laid eyes on me, said "Wow, you must've been cursed!"

Yore Grampa,
Cook

Dec 13, 1999
Ah Cook, beauty is only skin deep! Why, when I was born, the midwife smacked my mother! I was two years old before someone told Mama that she had me the wrong way up in my baby carriage!
But, have you ever noticed that it's us homely guys who get the good looking girls - just look at Rose Ann!

Geoff

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Pat!

>Now, I can't go down that road! I make an >exception in George's case and Gowan will be >knocking at my door!

Considering my own emotion-wracked state, I can only guess what Phil must be going through right now. :)

All my best,

George

Oct 28, 2000
Dare I say that the "Titanic List" was the one found in Mr. Cave's pocket.

On a more serious note (B+), gold is pretty heavy, or so they tell me. My experience with the stuff is pretty limited and growing more so with the passing days. However, I have trouble believing that anyone would ship enough gold in one vessel to cause Titanic's list to port. Ships do sink...and gold does not float.

-- David G. Brown

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Well, this thread went all to hell.
Behe and Whitfield are acting like two lovesick swains and Brown's on the wrong topic. Maybe there should be a rule here about posting BEFORE you start drinking.
Don't worry, kiddies, I have other questions begging for answers...LOTS of 'em!

Thanks to all,
Cook

May 28, 2001
Dear Unka' Buster

I wish I could answer a number of questions relating to Lawrence Beesley's book. Unfortunately I can't, because about 5 years ago my little English Springer Spaniel puppy then, decided to make a meal of his book. It's my own fault, and needless to say I left all my research files out overnight when she did the unthinkable, by digesting nearly all the pages dealing with my Crew research. The best part of seven years hard work was nearly all consumed. So what future answers I can supply will really have to come from memory.

Yours Spoilt Brat-Andrew.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Andrew -

So what you're basically telling us is that the dog ate your homework? ;-)

Splendid creatures, dawgs (as Cook would testify). I lost one antique volume to our Labrador x Kelpie when he was a pup - he was there on the bed, the book was there on the bed, and the two came together in a magical moment of slobber and chewed gilded binding.

~ Ing

May 28, 2001
Inger wrote: So what you're basically telling us is that the dog ate your homework?

I am fraid Inger the answer is Yes
sad.gif

Dec 13, 1999
English Springer Spaniels eh!! Tell me about them - we had one when the kids were small - it ate both of their entire school uniforms and took homework on a regular basis. His greatest pleasure was to race around the house turning all of the furniture over, go into the garden, roll in any mud it could find and then start the entire procedure again! That said, it was the most gentle, loving creature that could be imagined - even raised our cat's kittens when she lost interest in them! I think I cried for a week when he had to be put down!

May 28, 2001
Geoff-Your description about English Springer Spaniels is very familiar. Yes even I cried when I had to have Joseph put down about 13 years ago.
However it doesn't deterr the fact that Donna did so much damage to Beesley's book, I simply could have cursed myself for leaving such a valuable piece of history laying around on the kitchen table.
Still whats done has been done, and I'm please to say that I have forgivien Donna for her mischief little deed.

Yours-Spoilt Brat-Andrew.