Whom would I choose?

May 3, 2005
Hi Robert.
The skip I was talking about was concerning Titanic, not Californian.
I have read that for some time before the collision they could not have communicated with Cape Race due to the atmospheric conditions.
Thanks, Mila and N.D. Risener -
I am more or less in agreement with both of you concerning the skip.
It could have been favorable to Titanic, but not to Californian at that time.
But it is not always stationary.
It could switch around the other way around where the conditions favored the ships just oppositely....one could and the other could not communicate with Cape Race.

Mar 23, 2004
Captain Inman Sealby. Why, you ask? He was Captain of White Star Line's first "practically unsinkable ship" which sank just three years earlier, the palatial liner and White Star Line's Boston Flagship RMS Republic, known then as the Millionaires' Ship. As a twenty five year veteran of WSL and cousin of Bruce Imray, and the Captain of the RMS Republic where the wireless excelled in its first practical use for rescue at sea (which bolstered Marconi's fortune considerably), Sealby could have addressed WSL policy on speed under adverse conditions (in his case fog), marine traffic lanes, deployment of lifeboats, bulkhead construction, the lateral gash below Republic's waterline which ultimately caused her demise, use and monitoring of wireless, number of lifeboats - you know, all the issues which impacted Titanic, questions and issues widely reported in the newspapers, and which were addressed in the BoT Inquiry concerning the loss of up to that time the largest vessel in history, all of her cargo, and with the loss of six lives - the public inquiry into the loss of RMS Republic. However, the official and required-by-law inquiry into Republic's loss was never held. And this great witness was never called at any Titanic inquiry (although Republic's wireless operator Jack Binns was called as a Titanic witness. His testimony is rather cryptic when he talks about Republic.) There's a reason for that.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>His testimony is rather cryptic when he talks about Republic.) There's a reason for that.<<

What pray tell are you going on about?

>>the lateral gash below Republic's waterline which ultimately caused her demise<<

There was no gash on the Republic as the ship was T-boned by the Florida. Also, there was no gash on the Titanic. A fact which was made known to the BOT back in 1912 when Edward Wilding calculated how much area of the hull was open to the sea.

Reactions: Tim Aldrich
Jun 10, 2018
Hi Mr Risener,

(Would be nice to have a first name, as Mr Risener is very formal)

Welcome to the forum!

I think you will find all the answers about Lightoller's autobiography on Paul Lee's website. He provides various editions of the book and the newspaper stuff you refer to.

Paul Lee also provides on his website an extensive analysis of the ice warnings, and what evidence there is of the failure by Phillips to properly deal with some of the most vital messages, and other failures by others in respect of the ice warnings.

I don't think that questioning Evans 'again' would yield a great. I know what additional questions I would have asked Evans.

So far as the Californian Incident is concerned there are a considerable number of additional questions I think the witnesses who gave evidence should have been asked, and indeed if the amended Inquiry question relating to the Californian had been included in the Inquiry's original remit, all the Californian evidence would have been quite different and the questions that were asked.

The most obvious question to ask the surviving Titanic Officers was how many masthead lights did Titanic have!

Gibson should have been asked how high went the white rockets seen bursting into white stars.

Evans should have been asked whether Captain Lord said to him 'That is not Titanic'. His PV should have been properly read into the proceedings.

Stone should have been asked about the scrap log entries he made or didn't make and what ships were seen the morning of 15th April and when.

Chief Engineer Mahan of the Californian should have been called together with his engine room log.

The Californian's ship's carpenter McGregor should have been called as he started it all, before Ernest Gill the donkeyman. It was McGregor who precipitated the Board of Trade interest into the Californian.

Officer Notley of the Mount Temple ought to have been called, as should perhaps Officer Bissett of the Carpathia in the light of what happened later. Captain Moore of the Mount Temple ought not to have got such an easy time as he did at the British Inquiry.

The lookout and QM during the Middle Watch on the Californian should have been called.

You get the idea! I could go on and on.

The British Inquiry should have been delayed by a few months till the USA Inquiry had published it's report.

A Marconi expert, Chris Burton, contributed a lot to our knowledge of wireless on the 'Stanley Lord guilty as charged' thread last Autumn and earlier, which might be highly relevant to your particular interest.

Cheers,

Julian
Julian, under what heading would the information about Lightoller's autobiography be?

Julian Atkins

Sep 23, 2017
South Wales UK
Hi Brianna,

You quote my post 12, and the link is in the next post 13

http://www.paullee.com/titanic/icewarnings.php

You need to scroll down to the section headed 'Mesaba', and towards the end of this lengthy section you will see a fascinating bit of research with pics of the relevant pages of the different editions of Lightoller's autobiography, and the newspaper articles, and correspondence concerning Bride.

Cheers,

Julian

Rancor

Jun 23, 2017
Taking David G Brown's post on the previous page for inspiration I would like to speak to both Frederick Barrett and George Beauchamp and try and reconcile the differences in their testimony regarding the situation in boiler rooms 5 and 6.

Jun 10, 2018
Hi Brianna,

You quote my post 12, and the link is in the next post 13

http://www.paullee.com/titanic/icewarnings.php

You need to scroll down to the section headed 'Mesaba', and towards the end of this lengthy section you will see a fascinating bit of research with pics of the relevant pages of the different editions of Lightoller's autobiography, and the newspaper articles, and correspondence concerning Bride.

Cheers,

Julian
Thank you!