Why are they making a Titanic II?

A. Gabriel

Jun 13, 2018
Philippines
Ahahahahahahaha! I knew it! That's the real reason Mr Palmer's making such a racket about Titanic again isn't it? He just wants to drum up attention towards himself for his electoral bid!

Jane Smith

Aug 16, 2018
Who wants to bet that if Titanic 2 is made and sets sail. It would hit an iceberg (due to equipment failure or something) and sink?

After all, History does repeat itself

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
I was under the impression that Clive Palmer's Titanic II project is still active? BTW, the most interesting aspect of the info on Wiki is that it will have far more en suite facilities than the original.

Jane Smith

Aug 16, 2018
I’ve viewed a video of the overview of the ship and somehow they’ve managed to mess up what goes on what deck. I know that it’s a replica

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
Michael,
Code:
Code:

If you look at website Romandisea Seven Star Theme Park China you can see Titanic 2 has started. The photos in the BTS Atlantic Daily Bulletin were taken in late September 2017. Now one year on no doubt a lot more work has taken place. .
See enclosed photos. Sorry they are on there side I can't get the computer to turn them around?
Code:
Code:
Code:

Sisko

Aug 1, 2018
I honestly think there is not enough publicity about this project Titanic is the worlds most famous ship everybody knows the name. China is just so strict & paranoid about internet they censor everything. I'm confident it will be built they come so far & it' half completed. I'm sure if they we're more open about the project a multi millionaire would be smart enough to invest in it. Makes me believe James Cameron never heard about this project you think he would invest in a heart beat he is obsessed with Titanic. I scour the internet daily about this project if I find anything new I'll let you know.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I understand all of that.

Clive Palmer has NOTHING to do with what the Chinese are trying to accomplish. His initiative was a fantasy which never happened. It is a separate enterprise which he has no involvement with
The Chinese enterprise just might.

Don't get the two confused.

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
Michael,
I never said Clive Palmer was to do with the new Chinese deal.
If you think that please except my apology.
As far as I known today Titanic 2 or some times know as T 2 is well under way. If I any further information I will let ET know about it.

Dec 23, 2017
Construction has resumed on the Titanic replica in China I think they are up to the 5th deck.
That's sweet, i know that there was issues with metal shortages in China for awhile that halted progress. Lets hope it resumes at full speed!

Mar 5, 2017
Why is watching actors pretending to be 1500 dying people offensive, but watching the same thing recorded on film not offensive?
So are you saying that there shouldn`t be any limits when it comes to portraying a tragic event? The movie was made I believe in a respectful way, to evoke the feeling of sadness and peril - while an amusement park attraction would probably consist of laughing families pointing at the ice berg and having selfies taken. That to me is a world of difference, but if it`s all the same to you then whatever, to each his own. I`m not going to visit that park out of principle though, but I hope you have a blast.

Reactions: Samuel Halpern

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
I think the thread is: Why are they making Titanic 2?
The answer is quite straight forward as the ordinal Titanic. To make a profitable business out of it!

Anyway, the Titanic 2 of Palmer will never be done : I have read somewhere upon the web that 1) he has financials problems. 2) he is known for mega projects that actually happen only in his dreams 3) the Chinese shipbuilder said that they don't have a contract signed nor plans for construction. So sad it is, there never will another Titanic and we'll never have the chance to meet the ghost of Murdoch on the boatdeck saying "Sorry for hard a starboad order!" while inviting us to embark upon the lifeboats! Whoooooo!

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
Part of it is that I just don't get the "Titanic is a gravesite mentality". Perhaps I'm showing my age, but Titanic is part of history, not current events. In my opinion, respecting the dead is about respecting the living who knew them, not superstitiously warding off bad feelings from the spirit world. Since all the people and most of their relatives are dead, I don't see a problem.

I'm not speaking from naivety. I've seen tragedy myself, but I recognize that most people haven't experienced what I've seen. I'm not offended by their light treatment of the subject because I recognize that the subject is personal...to me.

Personally, I'm offended by people who think everyone needs to share their values (You don't need to agree with me there). The Titanic community has plenty of people who seem to believe that the person who is most offended by the sinking has some kind of power over those who aren't. It gives me the feeling rather like a mother waving her dead child in her arms and using it as an excuse to be first in line to the theater, which is rather stomach-churning. And that's why I'm so outspoken about it.

I agree that society has rules, but I don't believe those rules should be arbitrary, or that they should be set by emotion or offense.to a select ruling class of people. Rules should not exist simply because there have to be rules. They should exist to protect and enrich us. Who am I, and who are you that our sense of offense (which is, effectively, entirely random emotion) is binding on other people. Why should your sensibilities be considered more viable than those of the Chinese people going to this theme park? I believe it is wrong to assume that our opinions are meaningful, but the opinions of others are not.

It's easy for people to fall into this trap, because we experience our own emotions objectively, while the emotions of others are abstract.

Feb 9, 2008
ANYWHERE-BUT-HERE
If the Chinese say that it`ll be built - then I`m sure it will be (at the worst possible quality, no doubt).

Code:
@Aaron_2016
- Wow, I didn`t know any of that. But you`ve said yourself that those things might not seem like a big deal to someone outside the UK - perhaps none of the perceived offensive stuff to the British was intentional. On the other hand, perhaps it WAS intentional on the part of the "experts" who were giving James Cameron advice (they might have had certain biases), but I highly doubt that Cameron himself wanted to alienate such a large market in order to make some sort of a statement about a civil war that happened a hundred years ago and far away from where he lives.

Which "Civil War"? American or Irish? The Irish Civil War took place from 1921-1923 after the anti-treaty mob wouldn't accept the vote of the Irish people, some nine years after the Titanic sank, and yes there was extreme sectarianism in the yards where the sisters were built, but the Home Rule Bill had yet to be enacted which thanks to World War One never was, and ultimately the Conservatives and Unionists supported by the British Government wrecked the Bill completely, much as the Tories rule by dictate today.
So I don't see what the Civil War, American and certainly the Irish has to do with Cameron's thinking if at all, even though the British Officers were portrayed in a poor light and during my time as an Engineer Officer in the British Merchant Navy, yes we did have one once, I only met one Deck Officer that would even come close to being as bad as those portrayed in Cameron's movie, and he was a Master!!!!

Reactions: Mario Gilone
A

Aaron_2016

When I mentioned the civil war I was referring to 'The Troubles' which (if you lived through it) certainly felt like a civil war, especially in Belfast. The film was released at a time when Ulster was still a hot powder keg and the terrorists who wanted a united Ireland were very much active and getting US financial support which finally stopped after the 9/11 attacks when there was a crackdown against funding terrorist organisations.

The film was a great box office smash, but the last thing Ulster wanted was to have the Titanic (a great achievement) to be used as a political tool to support the continued Irish cause for freedom and make the British the enemies, especially at a time when negotiations for peace were still delicate. I think that was one of the reasons why the film lost in every category at the British awards the following year.

Rewinding back to 1912. That was a very big year for Ulster. Winston Churchill was deeply despised and riots were a common occurrence because of his meddling and his repeated speeches for Irish Home Rule. In one instance his car was overturned in an attempt to kill him but there was a lady present in the car and that moment of hesitation saved his life. In February 1912 Churchill came to Belfast for another Home rule speech but thankfully the venue was changed for his own protection and his visit was cut short as his welcoming reception was certainly not welcoming. Sir Edward Carson addressed the people of Belfast from the balcony of the Ulster Club and said if Churchill had persisted in holding his talk at the Ulster Hall the Unionists were ready for war and would take up arms to resist his efforts for Home Rule and fight for every square inch of ground and would never surrender. - A speech no doubt Churchill would later use during WW2.

In April 1912 the Prime Minister announced the Third Home Rule Bill. Below is the response from the people of Ulster - particularly those working at Harland and Wolff shipyards.

Code:

Code:

Code:

Code:

Certainly gives you the mood of the city and the workforce of Harland and Wolff a few days after the Titanic left Belfast.

On the 28th September 1912 'Ulster Day' the population who sided with the British signed the Ulster Covenant - A pledge to defy Home Rule by all means possible. Soon after tens of thousands of guns were smuggled in to defend Ulster against any Irish uprising, as the British government at the time would not commit themselves to defend Ulster and it was up to the men and women of Ulster to protect themselves against the Irish.

In 2012 we held a celebration in Belfast to mark the centenary of that remarkable day in 1912 when the people of Ulster from all classes came together in unity against the Irish.

Code:

Code:

Code:

Code:

Code:

Code:

Sadly more than a century later the conflict between Ulstermen and Irishmen is still going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: privatedad1334

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
Yes. The difference is that I don't expect you to concern yourself with what offends me.