Why are they making a Titanic II?

The old Titanic will just rot and collapse. Nothing you can do about it. It's impossible to raise it. So why not just build a new one?
There is lots of articles that say they are going to build a Titanic II, or Titanic 2. They got all the stuff planned out mostly. But will they ever actually create it?
Most articles say it will be sailing by 2018. But it's now 2017 and still nothing! "As of (something) 2017, construction has not yet begun on the vessel" as said Wikipedia.
Will they ever create it?

A

Aaron_2016

I understand the Titanic 2 project was abandoned or at least put on the shelf owing to difficulties with investors. I doubt it will actually happen. However there is another project which is well under way in China. They are currently building a replica of the Titanic that will be a floating museum and theme park in China, but relatives are not very pleased about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clive Palmer's Titanic 2 project was what we Aussies call fair dinkum until 2013. Basic hull design was done by a reputable firm called Deltamarin and a model was tank tested in Germany. There was also a good deal of hype. Announcements were made about various firms getting involved but no contracts were signed. For instance, it was said the ship would be classed by Lloyds, but that's easy to announce when you have no ship.

Palmer has since been in all sorts of strife. He recently dissolved his political party. He's involved in legal disputes involving millions of dollars. Titanic 2 must be far from his mind.

A

Aaron_2016

Definitely the hotel on the moon. The public appeal and desire to have another Titanic built must be small. I believe there is little demand for it, just mild curiosity from historians and fans of the film. The French and German liners of the 1900's were incredibly beautiful and deserve much more recognition. I think today's efforts of restoring the past should be directed towards those ships as I believe the public would genuinely be 'wowed' and 'dazzled' by their splendour.

Rob Lawes

I agree with you Aaron.

Sat in a Philadelphia dockyard quietly rusting away is the mighty SS United States.

She could be brought back into service for less than the cost of building a replica Titanic.

Rotting away in Dubai, the QE2 could be refurbished and returned to service.

While both projects would be costly they would be far more viable.

Why don't we build the Olympic (Post 1912 version)? It definitely been proven it was more unsinkable than the Titanic! And at the very least we have more photos of Olympic.

A

Aaron_2016

Wish the Queen Mary could be restored and return to her original transatlantic service. If the Titanic was rebuilt today I believe the modern public would find her cramped, uncomfortable, and unhygienic. I think the modern experience would be like sleeping in a corridor train. Imagine trying to get a goodnight's rest in a cabin that is right above the engine room. She was a luxurious ship but even in 1912 there were complaints. e.g. Survivor Mrs Shelley was not happy with her 2nd class cabin. In her affidavit she described it as:

'A small cabin many decks down in the ship, which was so small that it could only be called a cell. It was impossible to open a regulation steamer trunk in said cabin. It was impossible for a third person to enter said cabin unless both occupants first of all crawled into their bunks.' Imagine a moderately wealthy stout family who love their gadgets and expect the very best experience and service on the new Titanic by paying large amounts of money to travel in 2nd or 3rd class. I think history might repeat itself and her first voyage might be her last.

Mrs Shelley was given another cabin and yet she was still not happy with it:

'That this cabin, though large and roomy, was not furnished in the comfortable manner as the same accommodation procured on the Cunard and other lines; that it looked in a half-finished condition; that this room was just as cold as the cell from which we had just been removed, and on asking the steward to have the heat turned on, he answered that it was impossible, as the heating system for the second-class cabins refused to work.......That in the ladies toilet room only part of the fixtures had been installed, some of the said fixtures being still in crates.'

Wish the Queen Mary could be restored and return to her original transatlantic service. If the Titanic was rebuilt today I believe the modern public would find her cramped, uncomfortable, and unhygienic. I think the modern experience would be like sleeping in a corridor train. Imagine trying to get a goodnight's rest in a cabin that is right above the engine room.

Most people today hopefully want to be in 1st Class but I see what you mean.

A

Aaron_2016

If they do plan to build a new Titanic I think they should concentrate on 1st class and just make the rest of the ship modern. Perhaps with a few 2nd and 3rd class cabins built as display pieces to show how they used to live and sleep in 1912, rather than going to the trouble of rebuilding the entire 2nd and 3rd class accommodation, knowing that modern day passengers would not be pleased with several nights in rather uncomfortable conditions. There would naturally have to be extensive changes made owing to health and safety regulations and disability access for all floors, and if the passengers really wanted to experience 1912 conditions they would need to refrain from using any electronic devices. Not sure how popular this would be with younger generations. Although for security reasons there would have to be security cameras in the corridors etc. Maybe even a bridge camera so that people at home can follow the ship live on webcam.