Why build Titanic in Baja Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mikael Jonsson

Hi.

Why did James Cameron build his Titanic in the scale 9/10 and not in the real size?

I also would like to know if his ship is still there in Baja, Mexico and if it's possible to visit it? I have tried the VRtour which James Cameron made for the Titanic Explorer CD. It would be really interesting to see how it is for real.

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
The primary reason, if I remember, is that they didn't have enough money to build the tank large enough to handle a 1/1 scale model. As a result, they had to scale it down somewhat.

Just for the record, much of the ship is full scale. Some items (i.e. lifeboats, funnels) were shrunk slightly to maintain perspective. The funnels, 69' tall in reality, were reduced down to 65'.

As for visiting the set, it's been dismantled, sadly. There is a large exhibit of props from the sets, however. Fox Studios set up a site called "Foxploration" in Baja.

Adam

M

Mikael Jonsson

It is really sad that the set has been dismantled. They could have used it as a museum. Any members of this messageboard who has been on the ship?

Okey James Cameron must be poor if he couldn't afford the last 1/10
happy.gif

Don Tweed

May 5, 2002
Just to build it to tear it down!
I cannot believe that!
The cost alone!!!
People would have visited the sight.
then a tourist attraction.
Good thing they took it down!
Just my opinion!!! -Don

D

Daniel Odysseus

I HEARD (I stress HEARD) that the Titanic had to be dismantled because it was only a thin layer of steel on plywood. They said it would've been too unsafe for public viewing. This is according to the book "James Cameron's Titanic" aka the Titanic Movie Book...

PS: Mikael, I'm too poor to even THINK about building the first 9/10 of Titanic... lol...

Mar 3, 1998
Ninety percent of the ship was built...the ship was not scaled at 90%. Jim Cameron told me this in person. Some items were built out of scale for various reasons having to do with portraying the ship accurately on film.

The ship was a set and the tank in which it was built needed to be cleared so that Fox Studios Baja could move on to other projects. As of my last visit to the studio, a reproduction of a British man-of-war, the HMS Rose, and a pirate ship occupied the tank.

The "ship" was a set, not a permanent structure by any means. Only one side was completed and there were few interiors. They built the set and made the movie, then tore it down to make way for new sets. Some of the set pieces were saved to be used in other movies, including the new Titanic documentary, "Ghosts of the Abyss." That's how the movie business operates. Most of what was thrown away served no further useful purpose; everything else that was has been stored in the Fox warehouses. I know, I've been through them.

Because of the popularity of the movie, some interiors used in the movie have been replicated. This is not usually done, so you can take some consolation in that. The interiors are available for public inspection at Foxploration in Rosarito Beach, Mexico. You can take a virtual tour of the Titanic Expo at:

http://www.flash.net/~sparks12/titanic.html

Click on the "Foxploration Virtual Tour" link. You can also visit the official site at:

http://www.foxploration.com

Parks

S

sharon rutman

I know--filming a Titanic movie in Mexico made no sense--the water looked too tropical and what about those dolphins following the ship!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Well, it would have been better if the dolphins had been the right species. As to filming in Mexico, I don't know what else the Fox/Paramount could have done. Location shoots tend to get pricy, so you do what you can with what you have and let the CGI/special effects people deal with the rest.

S

sharon rutman

Sorry, Mike, but while A Night to Remember lacked gimmicks and computer wizardry, Bill MacQuitty got it right--he filmed on the coldest nights in the middle of December to get the actors breath on film. Sometimes old fashioned methods of filming work best.

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
I love the movie ANTR as much as anybody. But if you appreciate reality, why not call for it to be filmed on a calm night in mid-April instead of using gimmickry and dramatizing the cold by filming on the coldest night in December?

Karen Christl

Dec 18, 2002
i am reminded of good news weeks wondering about what would happen if somebody is making a 90% scale model of an iceberg!
happy.gif

happy.gif
kaz
happy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.