Why do people dislike the 1997 Titanic movie?

Rich Hayden

Jul 17, 2014
I think that's a fair point. I went into the cinema expecting a dramatic retelling of the Titanic story. Instead I got the nauseating 'Jack and Rose', the astonishingly one-dimensional characterisation of the 'evil' Hal or the risible portrayal of the officers, etc. I couldn't stand it!

Some woman was snivelling in the row behind when Jack snuffed it and I just couldn't wait to get out. It really wasn't my cup of tea.

But as I've said before, the film helped fund Cameron's invaluable exploration of the wreck and for that we should all be thankful.

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
The movie is actually what got me interested in the whole story of Titanic. The “Nearer My God to Thee” scene is probably the saddest part of the film for me.

Rich Hayden

Jul 17, 2014
I appreciate what you're saying. I really do. Lots of people became interested in the ship because of the film. And I'm really glad they did.

As I said before, I'd put up with ten Titanic films in exchange for the incredible insights that Cameron has given us into the wreck of the ship. That footage of the Turkish baths or the Strauss's stateroom, or the Marconi rooms...wow. We're all in his debt, and I genuinely mean that. The film just wasn't for me personally. That's all.

Rancor

Jun 23, 2017
The movie is actually what got me interested in the whole story of Titanic. The “Nearer My God to Thee” scene is probably the saddest part of the film for me.
The 30 seconds or so of engine and boiler rooms were enough to kick start an interest in the technology for me that only grows as I learn more.

But I can understand others who say the fake love story shoehorned in there got in the way of the real events.

Reactions: Tim Aldrich

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
It was probably a let down (for those who had already seen ANTR) to see all of the set being improved and the amazing effects be the background of a different story.

Reactions: Rich Hayden
Jan 23, 2019
Just to throw my thoughts out, Cameron went pretty far out of his way to make it authentic and historically accurate as possible (putting aside the errors for now) only to throw a totally fictional story on top of it. He had tens, hundreds of millions of dollars at his disposal and the result is Jack and Rose. My girlfriend and I had a bet on who said the other's name more times in the 1912 scenes alone. I won because I picked Rose saying "Jack." It was well over 100 times between the two, but I can't recall the exact figures.

I think it's also a bit weird how invested Andrews is in Rose's opinions and well-being. The constant interaction of fictional characters with historical figures can come off as morbid episode of The Magic School Bus or Mentors. It's not helped by the cartoonishly evil Cal and his henchman.

To defend him, he had to make it as massively popular as possible to justify the cost to his superiors and it takes a lot of skill and talent to accomplish what he did. It's hard to write a stupid script well. He's not just faking it either, his love for Titanic is genuine. You can tell by the years he spent exploring her after the movie came out and the 100-year anniversary he did. For better or worse, he is a Titanorak.

Dec 23, 2017
I think that for the big screen, we are never going to get a film as accurate as the 97 film, regardless of our thoughts of the love story.
Jim is one of the few people in Hollywood who actually care enough about the subject to go out of his way to make sure its accurate cough Pearl Harbor cough. One thing i loved was that they recreated the sheer of the ship, Ken M. said he never grew tired of seeing that detail!

My personal thoughts on the movie are that i most likely seen it about 300 million times:p As the years have gone by, the love story is something i find i care less and less about, but if its connected to near full 100% recreation of the ship and her interiors i can take it:D

I also LOVE James Horner's score, i *gulp* even like that one particulate songo_O

Overall i can see why people dont enjoy it, but i think we can say that for the most part, its a really well done script and the actors play their parts really well.

Always thought this video goes into the film well

Nov 14, 2005
I do remember saying to myself the first time I saw the movie was "wow, she's a pretty girl. Its nice to see young pretty actress that isn't another anorexic herion addicted model type for once". I hadn't then and still dont really keep up on modern movies so it was the first time I saw her in anything.

Reactions: 1 person
S

SmileyGirl

I loved the film for bringing Titanic to life in colour and with such accuracy. I found it truly terrifying at the end. I did enjoy the fictional romance. If it hadn’t been put in, it would have just been a remake of ANTR. What I didn’t like was the film’s portrayal of Lightoller and Murdoch. ANTR remains my favourite film on the subject as I suppose it is more of a documentary but I never felt the terror and emotional upset that I felt watching Titanic.

Reactions: Rancor

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
What I didn’t like was the film’s portrayal of Lightoller and Murdoch.
I don't know, it kinda seemed to me that ANTR made them seem like perfect people who never felt any panic during the evacuation. I like how Cameron's version shows more of a human element to them. I do disagree with the idea that Murdoch would have shot himself, though.

Nov 14, 2005
I don't know, it kinda seemed to me that ANTR made them seem like perfect people who never felt any panic during the evacuation. I like how Cameron's version shows more of a human element to them. I do disagree with the idea that Murdoch would have shot himself, though.
I know Cameron was going for high drama and it was a fictional movie but I agree he should have left that out. No need to trash a real person with no definative proof. I wish he would of have covered some more of the radio traffic between the ships. But thats just my opinion coming from a history geek. He obviously knew how to make a blockbuster.

Rob Lawes

Jun 13, 2012
England
Cameron needed a common thread story line that would take the viewer from sailing to sinking. In all areas and classes of the ship and give himself a framework within which to hang key events and personalities with a good deal of artistic licence. That's what the Jack and Rose story allows him to do.

It looks visually impressive throughout but there are some unnecessary elements such as the suicide of Murdoch that are completely unproven in reality and should have been left out.

S

SmileyGirl

That’s a fair point. I liked Cameron’s Murdoch but I didn’t like his Lightoller. I was upset about the suicide when there is no evidence. But even if Murdoch did to that, he’s still a true hero in my eyes.

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
The sinking sequence in Titanic was much better than ANTR. They both might be inaccurate, but Cameron portrayed the mood much better.

May 3, 2005
I think you will find that anyone could find that they like or don't like a certain movie is strictly from their own personal opinion.
I could say that I don't like ''A Night To Remember'' for that opening scene that shows a Christening of Titanic.
But there is so much of ANTR that I do like.
Same for any other Titanic movie. I can say that I like Annette and Gifford better than Rose and Jack..
But that is just my own personal opinion .LOL

S

SmileyGirl

Yes, there are also a few inaccuracies in A Night To Remember involving Lightoller which I wish they hadn’t done. I know the characters are amalgams of other characters also.

May 3, 2005
I rather doubt that any ''Titanic'' movie or any movie covering some particularly historic event or era is going to be 100% accurate, whether it was made in Hollywood, Pinewood.........or anywhere ?

Julian Atkins

Sep 23, 2017
South Wales UK
(I haven't read all of this thread)

If my memory is correct, it was first shown on UK television at Christmas 2000. (I didn't see it at the cinema).

So I watched it for the first time that Christmas on the TV. Just an ordinary TV - no large screen LED High Resolution TV.

There had to be a 'vehicle' for the film - a 'story' for the plebs, otherwise it would just be a remake of ANTR in colour. The important difference with ANTR was that the wreck had now been found and filmed and photographed, and this was cleverly woven into the film.

I still cannot watch certain bits of the latter part of the film - I find it far too horrific and frightening - as I am quite sure it was that night.

ANTR played around with a sub-plot concerning 'The Californian Incident', and not with any great effect because the first time I watched ANTR (knowing nothing of the background) it completely passed me by. It would have been a mistake to have included 'The Californian Incident' in the 1997 film.

A film just about The Californian, with the Titanic as sub plot in the distance would be something else!

Cheers,

Julian