Why do you have to take off your shoes to enter a submersible?

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
I read that Robert Ballard did this and James Cameron can be seen doing it in the 2003 documentary film Ghosts of the Abyss.

Is this so you don't hurt other people or delicate equipment in the submersible?

I also saw in a photo that Ballard was wearing a stocking cap. Does it get cold under the ocean where Titanic is?

Reactions: 1 person
S

SmileyGirl

I think I read it gets very cold in those deep sea submersibles.

Dec 4, 2000
Several years ago I created a private video for a friend of mine, Lowell Lytle. If you've been to the Pigeon Forge exhibit (or many others) he's the guy who portrays Captain Smith. As part of that job he had to go down to Titanic and look around. Here's what he saw, his experiences in the Mir submersible and his thought back up on the surface. Enjoy.

Lowell Capt Smith Braked.mp4

-- David G. Brown

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I get to Pigeon Forge all the time now when the Titanic Conference is held there. I've seen this man around a couple of times but I've never spoken to him.

BTW, for the information of the haters who are still out there: It's a great museum. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

Nov 14, 2005
Well I guess I'm a slacker. I didnt know about the Pigeon Forge location. I had to look it up. I knew of the one in Branson MO. I went to A school in Tennesee. I liked it there. Really good BBQ in TN.

B-rad

Jul 1, 2015
Tacoma, WA
From what I underunderstand it is a bit of both. The sub gets hot cause of the close quarters but also gets cold cause of the depth. Like that thermostat you can't get right lol. That's why jump suits are used easy to put on and off. When I work for oil company not only was it to stay clean but a lot of down time and climbing decks and towers... Made all the difference. The shoes cold either 1: carry stuff on them that could contaminate the environment (8hr sub five)and you don't realize you're kicking a piece of equipment. Bring a pair of extra socks.

Reactions: Dan Kappes