Why Have a Well Deck on a Ship

Ajmal Dar

Jan 5, 2018
Nottingham
Hi all,

What was the function of the well decks on the Titanic and why have one anyway. Why did designers go to the effort of having thie vertical drop in the deck (compared tp the forward and poop decks). It seems to me to have been an unnecessary design feature which i believe was later discarded on later ship designs.

Regards,

Ajmal

A

Aaron_2016

Good question. I would guess they were used as a means to shelter the passengers from the cold breeze blowing over the forecastle, and also were used to keep the passengers out of crew-only areas like the forecastle head.

Reactions: 1 user

Rob Lawes

Jun 13, 2012
England
I don't think the design was to shelter the passengers so much as it was designed to shelter the large access hatches to the cargo holds.

If you loom at early steamers such as the SS Great Britain they are flush deck in design exposing access hatches all over the ship to the full force of rough weather and risking shipping water into the hull.

The Well deck would be protected by the raised bow any water that did break over the bow and made it onto the well deck would not access the holds because of the high raised sides of the hatches.

As they areas featured cranes, access hatches and other gear they would have been fairly industrial in appearance and therefore only suitable as open spaces for the lowest class of passengers.

Reactions: 1 user

Ajmal Dar

Jan 5, 2018
Nottingham
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the fast reply. I like your answer, the hatches would be much more prone to being ripped off in bad weather if they were on the more exposed fore deck instead of the well deck. Likewise for the cranes and other equipment. Good thinking!

All the best,

Ajmal